Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2014, 12:39   #1

Mexico. Go or no go?

I abandoned plans to sail southward in October or November, 2014 due to a recent dream recalling graft and corruption I encountered in countries during two previous near global circumnavigations. At the top of the list, because it would be my first landfall sailing toward the Marquesas, is Mexico. I was stung twice, once on each of two seperate visits by incidents involving mordida in La Paz. Immigration and the port captain facilitated the successful attempts to extract these payments from me. The increasing level level of violence in Mexico was also a consideration. Moreso after the recent murder of 43 students involving Mexican officials and a 'gang'.

Additional justification for my concerns arrived in news articles published over the last few days recording elevated levels of violence in Cabo San Lucas and La Paz.

Killings Surge in Mexico State at Tip of Baja - ABC News
Old 28-11-2014, 12:49   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Mexico. Go or no go?

So check in at Ensenada. It is about as cut and dried as it can get. With your luck, you will probably get the red light and they will board your boat.
Don't be one of these guy's who think you don't need to check out of the US, get your fishing tag and tip freely.
Old 28-11-2014, 12:54   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

then just avoid la paz and cabo.
they were hit hard by odile, which, as you remember was a nasty furycame.
enter mexico in ensenada. no mordida.
to turtle and mag for fuel, then mazatlan.
then south.
i saw no reason to be north of mazatlan in mexico-- way too many greedy folks feeding off the gringo tourist pool. most of the greedy suckers are english speaking white folks.
supposedly the mordida system is illegal now.
i have neither seen nor heard any mordida nor have i seen nor heard any gunshots nor other violence.
it is nice to know the news is continuing to pursue the corruption and violence in mexico angles and not mentioning any corruption or violence in usa, which is much more dangerous for turistas than is mexico.
sensationalism and distractions are all news media are capable of publishing.
la violencia has diminished greatly since this president entered office.
but, then, i have only been here in mexico for 4 years, now, therefore i know absolutely nothing about mexico or mexicans...rodlmffao..
Old 28-11-2014, 13:17   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have neither seen nor heard any mordida nor have i seen nor heard any gunshots nor other violence.
Regardless, according to news reports violence in Mexico exists and incidents of violence in Cabo San Lucas and La Paz have increased. Are you saying the news reports are contrived, innacurate or part of some conspiracy to harm tourism in Mexico? Do you believe outlawing mordida in Mexico is going to actually going to make it go away? If so, over how many years?

Quote:
it is nice to know the news is continuing to pursue the corruption and violence in mexico angles and not mentioning any corruption or violence in usa, which is much more dangerous for turistas than is mexico.
Maybe you should consider adding sources for the news you read to reports about corruption and violence in America. Is every report of violence in Mexico obligated to contrast violence in America, or for that matter anyplace else in the world?

Quote:
but, then, i have only been here in mexico for 4 years, now, therefore i know absolutely nothing about mexico or mexicans...rodlmffao..
Sources? Nothing so far in this thread suggests you are anything but very knowledgeable about Mexico.
Old 28-11-2014, 14:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
then just avoid la paz and cabo.
they were hit hard by odile, which, as you remember was a nasty furycame.
enter mexico in ensenada. no mordida.
to turtle and mag for fuel, then mazatlan.
then south.
i saw no reason to be north of mazatlan in mexico-- way too many greedy folks feeding off the gringo tourist pool. most of the greedy suckers are english speaking white folks.
supposedly the mordida system is illegal now.
What she said, except for the part about not being north of Maz. La Paz is one of my favorites, and I have a lot of favorites in Mexico. I've been to both coasts, and never once have I been threatened or asked for a bribe. Institutional theft in the People's Republic of California, on the other hand,..
Old 28-11-2014, 15:22   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Bypass it for sure...its too dangerous, too corrupt, has too many corrupt officials, and I wouldn't walk the streets at night. Oh...wait...I thought you were asking about Oakland/San Francisco.

Hundreds of cruisers cruise mexico every year and love it...are they casting safety aside or are you worrying too much?

No one can tell you its safe enough if you are a "worry" type of guy, just as statistically no one can tell you its more dangerous than driving in Thanksgiving traffic or going to Walmart on Black Friday.
Old 28-11-2014, 15:46   #7

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I heard that there is this guy in Mexico that will bite and claw you if you get ahead of him at a taco stand…

Sounds like a dangerous place to me. It also sounds like you already have all the information you need.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 28-11-2014, 15:58   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I heard that there is this guy in Mexico that will bite and claw you if you get ahead of him at a taco stand
Its true...I met that guy in line one day...a smart ass taco pimp that guy is for sure.
Old 28-11-2014, 16:08   #9
cruiser

My wife and I have been robbed twice in Mexico while on vacation over the years, and a good friend thought Mexico was just awesome during the 8 years he lived there.... right up until the point where he got kidnapped and nearly killed. He has no plans to return, the corrupt police were the culprits... cost him $80,000.

I'm sure if you showed up in some sh%t boat they'd probably leave you alone, but don't show any outward sign of having money... even a little.
Old 28-11-2014, 16:13   #10

Having lived in Puerto Escondio,Oaxaca for 16 years- I say go!
North Mexieland is full of very corrupt "transitos".Just don't do stupid stuff.When in doubt say,"Federale".They are quite honest when it comes to gringos.
The ugly american or the savoir american is reviled.speak spanish-at least try.
Only reason I left is my health.

All the Best
Old 28-11-2014, 16:15   #11

Wow- Kenomac,where were you when you got robbed??
Old 28-11-2014, 16:33   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Garfield View Post
Wow- Kenomac,where were you when you got robbed??
Ferguson, MO.

Robberies, Rapes, Murders....if you crossed any Country off your list that had those problems where would you go? No Where...sell the boat now and buy a bunker. It's a dangerous world out there, stay home where it's safe and leave all the tacos for me.
Old 28-11-2014, 16:43   #13

SV THIRD DAY,pretty snarky.

But entirely correct.
I've been all around the world and have had more probs in USA!
Xenophonia is rampant here.
Old 28-11-2014, 16:55   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Garfield View Post
SV THIRD DAY,pretty snarky.

But entirely correct.
I've been all around the world and have had more probs in USA!
Xenophonia is rampant here.
I guess that wasn't too Thanksgiving weekend of me...it's just I get pretty tired of hearing the MexicoHysteria.

We spent 4yrs floating around Mexico and every time a Mexican drug fight happened in a boarder town all my family and friends who thought I was risking my life along with the lives of my wife and kids would send me links to the story. My inbox would be flooded like they were Viagara ads...what do they know about me anyway. So I would then do a little Google search for their home town and grab one of the multiple murders, rapes, and child abductions and send them that link with the warning to not go outside...the world is a dangerous place.

There is something about crime/violence in a foreign Country that makes it sound worse than when the same thing is happening in your back yard...human nature I guess.

Sure the Mexican legal system is corrupt. The other day I even saw their President make a prime time speech announcing he wouldn't enforce the Laws on the books in violation of the Countries Constitution....imagine the Lawlessness....wait...or was that.....oh never mind...no one wants to talk about that. Go back to buying things on Black Friday as a sign of Patriotism...start the USA USA USA chant now and remember to watch your neighbor closely, they could be a domestic terrorist if they are flying the Gadsden flag and we need to sick the IRS on them..."See Something, Say Something" after all.....
Old 28-11-2014, 16:59   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there is no more corruption in mexico than in usa.
mexico is so much less dangerous than working as an rn in inglewood, cali, or in downtown lost angels.. is no comparison with detroit--hell, i worked corner on formula one racing track in detroit-- out items were stolen from under our noses.. we were threatened while working the corners of the race course. wow what a dangerous place...and you say mexico is bad???? i would never again dream of going to detroit.. is a sh**hole city. add chicago and st louis and many other cities to the list..and doNOT even think of mentioning lost wages.. talk about corruption and vice.

rodlmffao.

stay far off shore bypassing mexico-i understand they have magnets here for those who fear this country most.
could be very very bad for you.
avoid at all costs.
you could well die.

hell.
we do not even have to lock our doors here..
do you have to lock your doors of your house when you go to the store????
yes, your newspapers lie like dead dogs.
get a grip.

if you wish to not come here-- stay the hell out. is lovely here without you.

the last president managed to make mordida disappear..yes you can still buy a cop.
is all good.
but there is no mordida for checkin and out.
i believe the usa news papers are sensationalist rags with misinformation and disinformation as your daily diet.
chopped pressed and formed news prechewed and predigested just for usa sheeple desirous of supreme drama--no one has to think anymore as it is done for you.
by all means stay away. no one wants to have you here.

unfortunately you did not read the article splaining how the rumored violence in cabo post odile were rumors and lies?
mebbe you need to re research the reasons for your extreme prejudice.
there was zero violence after odile in la paz.
there WERE concerted efforts to rebuild and to find and rescue lost boats and humans.
unfortunately 3 human souls perished in la paz in odile.
all 3 were cruisers
mebbe that is the new violence about which you read
go straight to costa rica. is only 5 weeks from san diego nonstop. you can do it.
Closed Thread

Tags
Mexico