Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 16:13   #1

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot
Mexican TIP and road trip info

CF, roasting my arse off in Vegas as my wife hits the outlets. Want to tell u about our latest trip to San Carlos and share with you TIP info that I gleened. Our boat sits on the trailer in Marinateca since April 2018. But eventually Quetzal will be pulled North and I wanted to see which portal would be the least stressful.

We usually enter Mex through Nogales. From Tucson to San Carlos it is a 6 hr drive. At 16 km marker u stop and get your entry visa and car insurance. But we didn’t do that this time. I have a 30 foot tri on a trailer. Try to get that through the tight busy corridors in Nogales heading North would induce a stroke or M.I.

I have a 1 ton diesel dully. We entered through San Luis Rio Colorado. Why? Because in November the Nogales Mex Border Crossing polizia deemed my truck commercial and forbid me entry without permits. But no one could tell me where to obtain it. So we entered through another portal in Nogales. Legally. No one said a word to be as we drove through.

TIP... the Mex document that is required to get your boat authorization to be there. The TIP I have expires in 2024. But it is under the previous owner’s name. So, to transfer it into my name required me to get all the ducks lined up. The gentlemen at the Marinateca gave me the place to go to in Guymas. It is the Army Bank. So I met with a gentleman Bank Officer. He took my TIP and disappeared for 15 minutes. He comes back. He said your boat has two TIPs. Apparently the previous skipper didn’t cancel his TIP. He said it is absolutely necessary to get it cancelled. I said I never met the man. He said if u can get a copy of his TIP it will suffice. Second thing you need is proof of sale. I have that. He said you need current boat registration that shows I am the new owner. I have that. You need a current passport. I have that. You need an entry visa. gulp!!! Because we came through a small entry point they didn’t have any signage to obtain. When I asked the guy at the crossing he stated “ maybe in Caborca!” We looked as we drove through this dusty little town... Nada. So, we asked the Bank Official how to overcome this hurdle. He said they had an immigration office in Guymas. Here are his exact instructions... “ you know where Ley grocery store is next to Burger King?” Kinda! So we got back to the Marinateca and the guys ( Omar and Elverado) were, miraculously, able to print out the original TIP. We thanked them with two cold Belgian Beers.
We went back to Guymas the next day and after a concerted effort were able to find the immigration office. But, alas, it was not to be. They did not deal with entry visa. So, it all came to a screeching halt. We could have made the 8-9 hour round trip back to Nogales but I saw no reason to protract the misery. I have a valid TIP. Kinda. I have what is called a Captain’s Letter that allows me to use my boat. But it is Mickey Mouse. The previous owner testifies that the Marina will in no way be responsible for any damages I cause while using the boat. But the correct way is to have a current TIP.

There are other ways to defeat boat transactions where the owner didn’t cancel the TIP. But that involves a fair amount of money for agents to accomplish. The guy who sold me the boat had taken the previous owner’s TIP and thought he had it cancelled. But something went wrong and he was unaware.

I also want to share with you something else I got from Dennis Drake. There is a download created by US Border Patrol called BWT CBP Border Wait Times. It is a gem. Every crossing into Canada and Mexico. Open and close times and approximate wait times to cross. California to Texas.

On the way out we headed north and cut off at Santa Ana. Then headed to Soniyta. Small crossing and short wait times. No crazy curves and no super tight corridors. I now have been told u can obtain your entry permits online. If anyone has that info let me know.

My kitten looks great in her new Fendi sun glasses. That is nothing compared to boat dollars. Smile.

I’m not an expert on Mexican things but if I can help you I will. Btw... Mexican beef, Sonoran beef, so much better tasting than American Beef.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 20:57   #2

Boat: Tayana 37 PH
Re: Mexican TIP and road trip info

Thank you for sharing Alan,
I surprised to hear you can cancel previous owner's TIP without his presence..
I don't know if it just once upon the time in Mexico or they finally started doing something to help with previous TIP cancellation.
In Soniyta you can open/close your entry visa - asked personally and closed personally.

Could you also clarify this "He said your boat has two TIPs. " Tips from two previous owners? Does it mean you can open your TIP if ONE TIP still open without any hassles?
Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:18   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

US CBP Border Wait Times ➥ https://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/mobile.asp

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 12:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
Thank you for sharing Alan,
I surprised to hear you can cancel previous owner's TIP without his presence..
I don't know if it just once upon the time in Mexico or they finally started doing something to help with previous TIP cancellation.
In Soniyta you can open/close your entry visa - asked personally and closed personally.

Could you also clarify this "He said your boat has two TIPs. " Tips from two previous owners? Does it mean you can open your TIP if ONE TIP still open without any hassles?
Russo, the guy I bought the tri from got a new Tip. He turned in the previous TIP owners TIP and thought they cancelled it. But something went awry. That is why there were two TIPs.

Lots of good boats down in San Carlos. It is safe corridor to drive down to San Carlos. Even army presence as they try and control the border. Never seen guys in army before with camo, helmets, and automatics.
Old 03-07-2019, 22:08   #5

Boat: Tayana 37 PH

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Lots of good boats down in San Carlos.
I don't think so... Watching San Carlos and La Paz inventory for over one year the following conclusions taking place:
Yes, occasionally there are gems in the mud - I missed a couple (not a few). Not so many buyers and possible to jump in to get a really good deal.

Most of the boats listed for sale are "let's see if anyone dumb buys her" between sailing seasons - overpriced, sitting on hard (right after sailing season ends, annual maintenance differed till next season and not ready to sail, regardless whatever sale party story tells. Over 30% of boats going back to a sailing season after 6-8 month on the market.

Some boats sitting there for years - storage cost reasonable (around $150 per month) and no pay "luxury tax", slip expense. Of course they are severely loosing value over each year but owners hoping get back to sailing..
Most of them DIY and southern relaxed attitude tells it is OK to have soft decks, cracked rusted keel, oil sipping engine, e.t.c you name it..

Button line.. if you want to "fix" instead of sail - this is the market.
I am seriously starting thinking for "ready to sail" boat better to go in CA, even with 10% "use tax" it might worth it.
Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:11   #6

Russo, I pay 1000 a year for storage. My boat sits on a trailer and is 30 foot long and 23 foot wide. She is stored with ama attaches to akas. I pay nothing to launch and retrieve. As long as it isn’t more than once a month.

Every boat yard has it’s fair share of broken dreams. So, what you are saying is true. I bought my trimaran for 15K plus a 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa. I sold that Hayabusa for him at 7500 dollars. He bought that boat for 45k 3-4 years prior. He tried selling it for several years. Not many people are willing to travel down there. It creates desperation for the seller. I was only the second buyer in two years to venture forth.

I understand your thinking. Trying to find a gem in the mud sort of thing. Persevere. Be ready to jump.