Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 18:13   #16

Re: Memory Foam Bed

We bought one at great expense for home, and after about a year of discomfort got rid of it. I've since checked with other people I know who had them, and every one has since gotten rid of it. I suppose they work for some people, but not anyone I know.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:58   #17

We live in Tampa and have a Tempurpedic memory foam bed at home. Absolutely LOVE IT!

We use the A/C at home as little as we can, and open the windows at night except for the very hottest days of July and August. We do not find the memory foam to be the least bit "too hot."

I will say that a memory foam bed definitely feels different than a "normal" mattress. It takes a little bit of getting used to. Only took me a few days, but it was a good two or three weeks before my wife decided that she really liked it much better than our previous mattress. Now we would never go back.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:33   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I've used the 3" foam for about four years now. Never had a mold issue, but it is hotter in the summers. The wife loves it but I don't care for the fact that it's harder to turn in my sleep. It kinda sucks you in.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:07   #19

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

We finally bought, after going through a couple memory foam toppers, a full latex mattress. We bought ours at thefoamfactory.com Free shipping. Latex stays cool, will not mold, and is very comfortable.
The down side is it is hard to cut,even with an electric knife. We had to buy a king mattress in order to get the width of our vberth, I used the old cushions as a template and cut the mattress on the dock. We sleep like babies! No sore shoulders ( we are both side sleepers).

Be careful when buying foam mattresses, many are just a couple inches of good foam glued to 4-5 inches of cheap foam. I've bought my foam from the foam factory for about 5 years now, good foam, good prices.

FYI
Brian and I shut the boat up last year expecting to be back in a day or two, we did not make it back for months! In our rush to leave we forgot to leave open her dorades. When we got back to her a few weeks ago poor Rain Dog had mold from stem to stern, on her headliner, all her teak, but the latex mattress is clean .

Hope that helps
Erika
Old 12-04-2012, 06:52   #20

Boat: Privilege 37

I replaced the bed late last year with a custom design

2 inches high density foam
2 inches soft foam
2 inches memory foam

split into two seperate 2ft 6in wide cushions for the 5ft wide bed, but with a cover that has a continuous sheet on the top. This allows the foam to be folded for movement, but avoids the hole between two mattress syndrome.

Comfy!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:18   #21

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

I bought one of these last year and cut it up with an electric knife: King size serta

It was an easy project. You just need someplace to let it sit a couple days and expand out before cutting.

It's softer than a standard mattress. If you like a really hard bed, you may not like memory form. No issues with it being too hot yet or mold. I live in Florida.

Either route you go it's much cheaper than a custom spring mattress and a lot more comfortable the standard v-berth foam cushions.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23   #22
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I've found the hottness to be strongly affected by what sort of sheets you use. A high thread count quality sheet and you won't notice it. But in the middle of winter I threw some flannel sheets on it and it was miserable. Don't do that.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 01:57   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
Not hijacking,but on the topic of foam. foam comes in different degrees of stiffness. I believe. I would like to be able to skit or lie down without my bum being on the wood. any knowledge on what to ask for. please.

my bottom would greatly appreciate any constructive advice:-)
In Oz for sleeping a 50/50 mix of Medium (grey) density 23-130 and High (green) density 31-190 or High (yellow) density 27-160. For seating some water repellent foam made for outdoor furniture is the best in the cockpit. A foam reseller who also manufacture mattresses should be able to advise you.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 05:45   #24

Boat: Beneteau First 38
Thumbs up Re: Memory Foam Bed

We purchased our mattress form these people...

Custom mattress, boat mattress, rv mattress, mattress, tempurpedic

Great service and excellent measurement form. When the mattress arrived it fit as if they measure it themselves.

We have had it for 8 years in the tropics and no sign of mold.

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 07:05   #25

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Is there any way to get the foam to replay any of it's memories?
Old 15-04-2012, 07:10   #26
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

We have a non-disclosure contract with ours to prevent that sort of thing...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 08:21   #27
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
We have a non-disclosure contract with ours to prevent that sort of thing...
They tend to tell you everything once your on top of them !
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 09:06   #28

for 3" topper foam from Costco. It was reasonable cost & we have had it for 4 years daily use on our boat and sporadic use for a few months before. We love it. We both have back issues and it is sooo comfortable! I think it will be ready to be replaced soon.

Two friends (Southern California) had mold issues on their memory mattress but the Froli solved it. We have the mattress (thin, not comfy) that came with the boat so it has the covers to prevent mold and the topper has never caused a problem.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 09:22   #29

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We have been lucky I guess because we had a standard size queen bed bilt in to the last 2 boats we have had!! we were able to just buy and install. we bought a 11in memory foam mattress from Cosco, that had a upper layer of cooling foam(don't ask how we don't really knowLOL) it worked so well we could not believe it !!! kept it thru 2 boats. We live in Louisiana and it don't get much hotter then here!! we were always comfortable!! I have a replacement hip and this mattress allowed me to become a side sleeper again !! These type of mattress's are out there. Expensive but worth it !!!
Old 15-04-2012, 12:34   #30
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Whether it is memory foam or regular foam, foam comes in all different qualities. You as a consumer have no hope of figuring them out and can only buy by reputation.

The foams have different densities, either rated by the "pounds" for memory foam, or the durometer for regular foam. Denser foam tends to last longer. Foam is usually made with a "pancake batter" of chemicals that causes the bubbles to form, and as they age the chemicals can eat the foam and then it turns into the familiar dry dust and crumbles. But a good foam mattress, high density, can last 20+ years with no real degradation.

So I'd suggest, a brand name, a warranty, and by all means avoid the mattress stores and really fancy names that insist you need to spend two grand on a fourteen inch thick mattress to avoid damaging your spine. It just ain't so.
Four to six inches, depending on material, will keep anyone happy.

If the mattress comes from someplace with a high stock turnover (which is good) it may also need a week to air out before you can start using it. Many of them emit a lot of unpleasant fumes for a couple of weeks after manufacture.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed