Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-02-2013, 21:57   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Med Mooring!?!Help

I am not an expert but spent the last two summers in Italy. I think that most European boats are sail drives. Correct me if I am wrong but a saildrive does not have propwalk. I always went in bow first. I cut off the top rail of my bow pulpit and put a platform on the lower rail. It is sometimes hard to get on and off but I use the anchor as a step.

I like to go in bow first because inserting the skinny end of the boat tends to move the other boats clear, the rudder is protected, more privacy, and if there is wind you are more likely to get it. Backing out I always calculate which way the prop walk is going to send me and try to use it to my advantage.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:46   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380

No problem, L440 has 2 engines
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Uden-pśle.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	383.4 KB
ID:	54199  

Old 08-02-2013, 05:16   #18
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Med Mooring!?!Help

Its a lot easier than folk who've never been there imagine... you've only the wind to deal with... there's no tidal current as such once your past Malaga... and the marina's before then are all well protected so its cancelled there.
Once you've done it a couple of times its a doodle... as has been said above there's the pick-up n there's the anchor... the first is standard in marina's.. approach so the wind is in your favour to push your bow around.. especially if reversings a pig..
I used to have my partner midships with a boathook ready to pick the line clear of the water asap and be ready to head f'wd and tie off when I said... hate fouled props.. I'd deal with the stern lines to the marinheiro... windward side first..
The other technique I had to use on quays and proms such as you get in Palma between the marina's there..
Same method only my crew drops the hook on my command and maitains a controlled feed till I say stop... this is actually an easier method as you can control the rate your bow comes round to a greater extent once you've worked out the flow rate of the chain from your windlass/hands... stop.. feed... stop...etc... anything goes wrong stop the feed and haul the slack in fast.. lock off and you'll swing free of any boats nearby... hopefully..
Both are a piece off wee wee with 2 engines..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:53   #19
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I am not an expert but spent the last two summers in Italy. I think that most European boats are sail drives. Correct me if I am wrong but a saildrive does not have propwalk. I always went in bow first. I cut off the top rail of my bow pulpit and put a platform on the lower rail. It is sometimes hard to get on and off but I use the anchor as a step.
while there are a lot of saildrives, its not a huge percentage, many or most are still shaft. and saildrives do have lots of prop walk.

While bow in is easier. It really is a huge pain to gain access, often the dock is low and the bow towers over it and getting on and off it. Very few European boats do it, some Scandinavians boats have very good custom setups on the bow, but for most sugar scoops , stern in is the only way really,

As to prop protection , with harbour walls etc yes , you have to be careful , most now though are floating or fixed marinas docks, so there is no issue with rudder protection.

Socially I like to talk to people. I do agree that in the past in places like some Greek island ports , the public tended to stare up your "jacksey", but often or not now marinas are more common and its less likely to happen.

I do think to many boaters try to do all the things simultaneously, throw stern lines, catch lasy lines etc. I reverse in , when I can I let the boat lie along side another, then at my leisure I rig the stern lines, I can keep the boat in position with the engine.

Then I grap my lazy line feeder, I never have anyoine handling the lazy line as I reverse in , too easy to get it in the prop., as I said I tie on the stern lines , Then I let out slack on the stern lines and let the boat move out a bit, this eases lifting up the mooring line. I tie that off ( or the crew does) and then a reverse in stretching the mooring line and reset teh stern lines appropriately. IN deep water marinas, like Gocek, its the only way as you can never tighten up the bow lines by hand

I then always disinfect my hands ( even with gloves), its not called the slime line for nothing.

A trick , If you are staying for a few days and maybe going in and out in the boat for a swim, etc, loop the lasy line along the guard rails and let the sun bleach it out. Much nicer then.

Dave
Old 10-02-2013, 09:50   #20

Boat: Covic Countess

Quote:
Originally Posted by django37 View Post
No problem, L440 has 2 engines
No problem, L440 has 2 engines mmm....Is that one of those boats that is two boats joined together with a hut with patio doors in the middle that cant fit in busy places cause its too wide and if they do let you in costs you 1.5 as much as normal boat??? hehe
Old 10-02-2013, 17:44   #21

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike388 View Post
No problem, L440 has 2 engines mmm....Is that one of those boats that is two boats joined together with a hut with patio doors in the middle that cant fit in busy places cause its too wide and if they do let you in costs you 1.5 as much as normal boat??? hehe
Yup. And as Boatman puts a piece of piss to med moor.

Especially if your L440 is set up/modified as in attached thread.

Some Lagoon 440 Modifications to consider.

Tags
mooring

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: