Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What's your Mbti (personality)?
INTJ 23 25.84%
INTP 17 19.10%
INFJ 4 4.49%
INFP 10 11.24%
ISTJ 9 10.11%
ISFJ 4 4.49%
ISTP 4 4.49%
ISFP 1 1.12%
ESTP 0 0%
ESFP 0 0%
ESTJ 3 3.37%
ESFJ 0 0%
ENFP 0 0%
ENTP 10 11.24%
ENFJ 0 0%
ENTJ 4 4.49%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2015, 18:34   #121

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Re: Mbti (personality) of sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
ESTJ here, and I'm assuming there's more of us out there than are represented here. Although I can't see poll from here.

My wife of 22 years is an INFJ. I'm surprised to see at least a couple here, Gada and Makai.

The Meyers Briggs really does neatly package personality types, but as others have pointed out, there is some amount of fluidity there. In particular, I'm labeled an extrovert, but I'm far from a perennial extrovert. I also went through expensive, lengthy leadership training with various instruments (like MBTI)used throughout the process. We are all somewhere along a continuum, as far as our preference for being with others or alone, or quiet activities or group ones. I'm teetering right on the edge, and in fact have spent many weeks and thousands of miles singlehanding and don't get lonely. But I do pretty well in groups and can talk a lot. 25 years of meditation - 14 hours a day when I was 20 - creates a bit of a buffer with the personality traits I think. That speaks well of mindfulness I guess, the ability to not entirely follow our natural tendencies.

Hilarious to read the responses from people new to MBTI. Funny stuff.

So anyway, I'm the manager and captain type, and I feel like there's a lot of me running boats. Maybe not as much in small boats cruising for fun? My idea of perfect is a long passage alone, wife or friends meet me in port, and then, well, I guess it's true I'm gonna meet a bunch more people in port and speak to them in their language most likely. And translate for my wife, unless she's off doing yoga or looking at something small and beautiful that I'd need her to point out, as I briskly move to my next destination
There are 3 INFJ's that have responded. Billdre on page 5 also responded to the poll and the thread. Makai? You neglected to vote in the poll? Which makes our particular profile a higher percentage here than the overall population also. According to to the test, INFJ's are the rarest of the personalities in the general society. Yet, in this very small sample we are pretty well represented, considering. I find this all very interesting!

Funny about your wife and her observations. As an example, one hot bright summer day I was enjoying a drink, I looked down into my drink and every ice cube was refracting a little rainbow. I was not only mesmerized for the following 20 minutes, I had a warm happy grateful feeling that i was able to witness it. (no i was not stoned) Big or small so much amazes me.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:15   #122

Boat: Union 32 cutter.

Interesting so many INFJ's here. I didn't expect to see another.... I'm not surprised to see a lot of introvert sailors, as for me nothing has ever felt more "right".
SV MAKAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:18   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
. (no i was not stoned)
But you do know that was the first thought that went through some of our minds
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 07:23   #124
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

infp, but the i is on the edge of e, so it is i/enfp.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 16:41   #125

Boat: Pearson 367

It's a little demoralizing but INTP's and INFJ's are a great personality combo. Both personality types are so rare that I think it's like a needle in a haystack finding another needle. lol
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 18:25   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
I looked down into my drink and every ice cube was refracting a little rainbow.
This is a dead giveaway that somebody has put far too much detergent in the glass washer (Perris on the afternoon shift was a bu gg er for this, he'd drink way too much and lose track of what he put in the washer, amongst other things).

I did find the letter things in the poll more than a touch confusing, as looking through the charts, way too many things in each section seem to count (they don't conflict either, they complement each other). So perhaps I'll go with OMHAFEIEIO?

So as meaningless as it is, my Chinese horoscope sign as a primary Black Water Dragon secondary Tiger, might be more significant (but I doubt it). eta: Amazing coincidence really, before I even knew there was such a thing as Chinese Horoscopes, I bought a silk bomber jacket in Gib. It was reversible. Black and silver one side, with a big black dragon on the back, and the inside out bit was electric blue and silver, with a big tiger's head on it. Loved that jacket.

But then again, I have always loved the water (am also an Aquarius, so with the Black Water Dragon . . . . but cats aren't supposed to like water are they?).

I also like wimmins, so that must mean I am a sexist (and I could GAF).

My most favouritist of jobs, has always been as a barman (one that stays sober behind the bar to easier herd the cats).

Strangely enough half the customers are wimmins, and they don't seem to mind me being sexist (though they do keep trying to marry me off, as me being so happy apparently sets an extremely bad example for their more or less well trained husbands).

But, as my now dead and sadly missed neighbour used to say, when you get your milk for free, why buy a cow?
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:49   #127

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 41

ISFJ also
Twidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 17:15   #128
cruiser

There is no such thing as a "personality type." The first thing an academic in the "soft sciences" learns is to conjure something up out of thin air, label it a type or syndrome (which makes it seem more "real"), and then churn out endless jargon-filled papers expounding at length about things that frequently don't even exist. The " population bomb" is an example. A lot of psychology, sociology, black studies and women's studies is guilty of this.

With the rare exception of identical twins, each person is a unique individual. Every good salesman knows this.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 18:05   #129

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
There is no such thing as a "personality type." The first thing an academic in the "soft sciences" learns is to conjure something up out of thin air, label it a type or syndrome (which makes it seem more "real"), and then churn out endless jargon-filled papers expounding at length about things that frequently don't even exist. The " population bomb" is an example. A lot of psychology, sociology, black studies and women's studies is guilty of this.

With the rare exception of identical twins, each person is a unique individual. Every good salesman knows this.

Paul

Oh dear
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 18:56   #130

Boat: Pearson 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post

Paul
Meh, with nearly 7 billion people on the planet you aren't as unique as you think. If you read the whole thread you would know that. Also crapping all over soft science academia isn't great either. Academics have written 10's of thousands of pages to support their research. How many do you have? If you are right then every college president in every college in America deserves to be fired for hiring all these charlatans. I'll be waiting for the mass firings...
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 19:27   #131
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
PTSD with TFH and FIGJAM.
So, just how good are you?

I'm ENTP and a Scorpio. Not sure what that means really and I agree that your MBTI type evolves as you gain experience and live life.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 20:34   #132
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
If you are right then every college president in every college in America deserves to be fired for hiring all these charlatans. I'll be waiting for the mass firings...
Actually, a number of them should be fired, especially those who genuflect to students whining about "microaggressions" and feeling "unsafe."

Paul. A little grumpy tonight. Sorry!
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 20:52   #133

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Actually, MBTI has come under quite a bit of criticism in the field as being built on a false structure of anecdotal observations from when psychology was in its infancy rather than real data. Quite a bit of info on the marketing machine that keeps it alive as opposed to the field which has moved well beyond MBTI.
Still, I find it useful just as a way to be conscious of how people around me may process information, processes, and relationships, which helps a lot as a consultant.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 20:54   #134

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

The vox article referenced is more in depth, but here's a quick overview http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-28315137

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 21:01   #135
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

If you can't be bothered to spell out the question, I can't e bothered to read any of it. All I can say is that a nonsensically question like this pisses me off (whatever kind of personality that makes me).
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail