Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: What's your Mbti (personality)?
INTJ 22 26.51%
INTP 16 19.28%
INFJ 4 4.82%
INFP 10 12.05%
ISTJ 8 9.64%
ISFJ 3 3.61%
ISTP 4 4.82%
ISFP 1 1.20%
ESTP 0 0%
ESFP 0 0%
ESTJ 3 3.61%
ESFJ 0 0%
ENFP 0 0%
ENTP 9 10.84%
ENFJ 0 0%
ENTJ 3 3.61%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2015, 17:34   #91
Registered User
 
skipgundlach's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Posts: 1,387
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Mbti (personality) of sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I was going to bring that up as well, My Son was diagnosed with Aspergers, I'm too old for that diagnosis, but fit the bill as well.
A surprising number of Scientist / Engineers / Inventors of old are thought to have been as well,
Social "awkardness" is very much a marker

On edit, doing things by yourself is much more enjoyable for a person that doesn't seek social interactions as they can be counted on to screw those up, and sit there wondering why other people are acting like an ass. I'd go out on a limb and say few of us participated in "team" sports in school, but may have done well in track, cross country and other solo sports. I'd bet many do very well with "machines" , bet more than a few of us raced motorcycles, automobiles etc., as well as sailboats.


Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Track (high jump, distance, shot put), cross country, wrestling, the first and only male cheerleader, ever (worrying about being 'weird' wasn't in my makeup), gymnastics (tramp) in HS, but nothing other than crew (undefeated other than 3rd in the national championships in my sophomore year), the quintessential team sport (go figure), throughout college. Crew nickname was Gas Station, on my ability to fix anything with a piston (based on most auto repair being done in gas stations in that time, now ancient history)...
__________________

__________________
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 04:40   #92
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Mbti (personality) of sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I am an INTJ; strongly I and J and less strong for the two middle characteristics. I did this test 15 or 20 years ago when I was teaching high school but do not remember what I was. It would be interesting to know now that I have retired and sailed a lot of miles. I guess what I am asking is whether your experiences influence your perceived personality type or the reverse - or perhaps it works both ways.
Personally I believe it's experience and learning that will lead one to sometimes drift between the types. But not drastically.
__________________

__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 06:12   #93
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
 
Hud3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Posts: 8,929
Images: 49
Re: Mbti (personality) of sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talelajo View Post
hey Hud3, who wants us to look "at US males only": did you find any stats on sexism or nationalism by personality type? CF is an international site, with women. And LLCoolDave if you look at Hud3's chart (which actually includes women) it shows 1-3% female INTJs vs 2-6% male so your (4/1 ratio) math is off.
I guess I (foolishly?) expected more from you guys. This thread is no longer entertaining.
Hi, Talelajo.

I posted the stats for the US population simply because that was all I could find. It would be great to see a broader international sample.

And I highlighted the stats for males simply because the vast majority of responders to the poll in this thread were males and I was comparing the CF responders stats to the national stats. Nothing sexist intended.
__________________
Hud
Hud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 09:32   #94
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 22
Re: Mbti (personality) of sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Hi, Talelajo.

I posted the stats for the US population simply because that was all I could find. It would be great to see a broader international sample.

And I highlighted the stats for males simply because the vast majority of responders to the poll in this thread were males and I was comparing the CF responders stats to the national stats. Nothing sexist intended.
Hud -
Thank you for your courteous response.
I actually understood your intentions with the US male stats. However...
In your opening statement you said you wanted to compare CF users with the US population as a whole, and provided a chart with that information. Well, this is not what happened, since you immediately dismissed women from the comparison. While it seems true that most CF users are male, several females have responded to this thread, and at least one - me - responded to the survey. Thus your survey stats included females, so for you to dismiss them summarily from your analysis is poor logic, poor statistics, and worse of all, poor manners.
Is it intentional sexism? Probably not. Does that really matter? It's still dismissive and sexist.
If I unintentionally smash your bow light, I'm still responsible for my actions. Yes, you might give me a pass the first time, but you probably will lose all tolerance if I do it again, if I don't change my behavior.
I have spent most of my life in male dominated arenas and have thus dealt with all kinds of sexism, the deliberate, the unintended, the overt and the hidden. And the unintended sexism from intelligent nice guys like you is sometimes the worst, because they really don't mean it, (they're nice guys, right?) so they don't really see it and thus will not change.
So please, all you genuinely intelligent nice guys, pay attention here. If you don't want to be called a sexist, don't act like one. Good intentions are not enough. I'm asking you to adopt, deliberately and consciously, a policy of intentional non- sexism.
__________________
Talelajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 09:44   #95
Registered User
 
skipgundlach's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Posts: 1,387
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Mbti (personality) of sailors

The above rant sounds like someone complaining about an Asperger's owner ☺

Those who fit the bill, whether you like it or not, are entirely unconscious of being offensive or even merely irritating; they think they are doing a service.

BTDT, BTTS and was elected president.
__________________
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 09:46   #96
Registered User
 
skipgundlach's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Posts: 1,387
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Mbti (personality) of sailors

And, PS, the mirror to 'sexism' is enforced feminism, a sister to the current PC plague.

Just be yourself and acknowledge that you, like everyone else, is unique.
__________________
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 09:49   #97
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Long Beach, CA
Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Posts: 1,854
Re: Mbti (personality) of sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talelajo View Post
Hud -
Thank you for your courteous response.
I actually understood your intentions with the US male stats. However...
In your opening statement you said you wanted to compare CF users with the US population as a whole, and provided a chart with that information. Well, this is not what happened, since you immediately dismissed women from the comparison. While it seems true that most CF users are male, several females have responded to this thread, and at least one - me - responded to the survey. Thus your survey stats included females, so for you to dismiss them summarily from your analysis is poor logic, poor statistics, and worse of all, poor manners.
Is it intentional sexism? Probably not. Does that really matter? It's still dismissive and sexist.
If I unintentionally smash your bow light, I'm still responsible for my actions. Yes, you might give me a pass the first time, but you probably will lose all tolerance if I do it again, if I don't change my behavior.
I have spent most of my life in male dominated arenas and have thus dealt with all kinds of sexism, the deliberate, the unintended, the overt and the hidden. And the unintended sexism from intelligent nice guys like you is sometimes the worst, because they really don't mean it, (they're nice guys, right?) so they don't really see it and thus will not change.
So please, all you genuinely intelligent nice guys, pay attention here. If you don't want to be called a sexist, don't act like one. Good intentions are not enough. I'm asking you to adopt, deliberately and consciously, a policy of intentional non- sexism.

Well stated and an important point for us all to be aware about.


S/V B'Shert
__________________
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 11:06   #98
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 22
Re: Mbti (personality) of sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
I got my info from a personality website written by a PhD psychologist. I think either stat could be true. It is the internet after all. I don't think either one of us said anything derogatory against women.

Not derogatory towards women? Hmm. That seems a little disingenuous.
So let's just examine your rant. First of all, what prompted this snit? It starts with a quote from me, so exactly what part of " I'm an INTJ but also left-handed dyslexic female" made you so emotional? Where's the connection to STEM jobs, or are you just afraid I might have one?
As I wade through your rant- it's certainly less articulate than most of your posts - it seems to me you are saying that women don't deserve equal access to STEM jobs because they are under-represented in one of 16 personality inventories which examine preference rather than aptitude or accomplishment. Oh, and anyone who believes that they should have equal access is a "dips hit". (That might be a typo, but I actually find it funny and may adopt it.)
Well now. Want to be an engineer, a whale biologist, an astronomer? Forget those pesky SATS, your hard-earned GPA, just test out as a INTJ male and the job is yours!
Cuz LLCoolDave says it's how we're built.
__________________
Talelajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 11:12   #99
Registered User
 
skipgundlach's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Posts: 1,387
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Mbti (personality) of sailors

OY! Sensitive, are we?

I got that the proportion of females in those occupations might have reasonably been tied to their interests; those with INTJ profiles have different interests than those who don't; there are fewer women than men INTJs; ergo, it's not surprising that the representation in the STEMs is skewed to men, and not by discrimination...

But, of course, I misinterpret most of what folks say, and they the same of me, so obviously it's the INTJs who are defective.
__________________
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 11:43   #100
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,051
Re: Mbti (personality) of sailors

See that is not al all what I saw. What I saw was if a job requires X and if only 20% of a certain population were X then it stands to reason that population would hold 20% of those jobs.
More or less than that percentage is an anomaly


Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 12:41   #101
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 22
Re: Mbti (personality) of sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
OY! Sensitive, are we?

I got that the proportion of females in those occupations might have reasonably been tied to their interests; those with INTJ profiles have different interests than those who don't; there are fewer women than men INTJs; ergo, it's not surprising that the representation in the STEMs is skewed to men, and not by discrimination...

But, of course, I misinterpret most of what folks say, and they the same of me, so obviously it's the INTJs who are defective.
Uh, you don't have to be an INTJ to like STEM, or like STEM if you are an INTJ. But you may be right about us INTJs being defective. I was once in a reading group w/25% INTJs and we drove the rest completely crazy with our thickheaded tenacity in a discussion. And they - those other types - thought we were angry when we weren't, another INTJ issue. We were just completely engaged in thinking about the big picture and became truly baffled by their objections.
__________________
Talelajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 13:14   #102
Registered User
 
skipgundlach's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Posts: 1,387
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Mbti (personality) of sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talelajo View Post
Uh, you don't have to be an INTJ to like STEM, or like STEM if you are an INTJ. But you may be right about us INTJs being defective. I was once in a reading group w/25% INTJs and we drove the rest completely crazy with our thickheaded tenacity in a discussion. And they - those other types - thought we were angry when we weren't, another INTJ issue. We were just completely engaged in thinking about the big picture and became truly baffled by their objections.
LOL We DO tend to focus...
__________________
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 14:13   #103
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Boat: Workin' on it
Posts: 208
Re: Mbti (personality) of sailors

Lots of thoughts here. This may be a little naive but my perfect world is a meritocracy. If I hire someone I simply want the best, regardless of race or gender. I don't think there should be quotas that need to be filled. I think the goal should be to have equal access to education for everyone and let the individuals sort it out. It should not be a political issue. In my home country (USA) I haven't seen any women being denied access to training in STEM fields. They simply make the choice not to. I don't know why they don't but it is their right.

I'm just making up numbers here but maybe half the women in the world don't have equal access to education. That is a huge issue. You have to choose where you burn your calories and our time on earth is finite so choose wisely. Which is more important? Filling quotas or providing equal access to women across the world and let them make the decision. When it comes to education/jobs I prefer to do things through attraction rather than promotion.

A big thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Oh and dips hit was intentional. There is a comedian named Eddie Ifft who has a podcast called talking's hit. You can't say **** on itunes but he snuck it in there. I always thought it was funny.
__________________
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 14:21   #104
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 22
Re: Mbti (personality) of sailors

Cool. Definitely adopting "dips hit"
__________________
Talelajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 14:44   #105
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Boat: Workin' on it
Posts: 208
Re: Mbti (personality) of sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talelajo View Post
I was once in a reading group w/25% INTJs and we drove the rest completely crazy with our thickheaded tenacity in a discussion. And they - those other types - thought we were angry when we weren't, another INTJ issue. We were just completely engaged in thinking about the big picture and became truly baffled by their objections.
That should be a reality show. Lmao
__________________

__________________
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sail

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stoked To Be Here And Meet Other Like Minded Sailors, Especially Female Sailors. chicasurfer Meets & Greets 15 02-12-2016 16:47
Question for SF Bay area sailors jim lee General Sailing Forum 4 23-12-2004 15:25
Don't bite sailors ... Shark Meets & Greets 0 02-03-2003 10:08
Hi sailors Ariel Meets & Greets 0 02-03-2003 02:03



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:19.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.