Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What's your Mbti (personality)?
INTJ 23 25.84%
INTP 17 19.10%
INFJ 4 4.49%
INFP 10 11.24%
ISTJ 9 10.11%
ISFJ 4 4.49%
ISTP 4 4.49%
ISFP 1 1.12%
ESTP 0 0%
ESFP 0 0%
ESTJ 3 3.37%
ESFJ 0 0%
ENFP 0 0%
ENTP 10 11.24%
ENFJ 0 0%
ENTJ 4 4.49%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2015, 11:22   #76

Re: Mbti (personality) of sailors

This thread remains highly entertaining. As stated before I'm an INTJ but also left-handed dyslexic female and very happy to know I'm a member of that "revolt of the advantaged". Thanks GordMay for "Ocean cruising: a study of affirmative deviance"
Talelajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 11:37   #77

Boat: Sailboat

another INTJ here, but I have learned to engage, especially in a business environment. People don't believe the I in me....
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 12:39   #78
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I was interested to see the results of the OP's survey so far versus the Myers Briggs Type Indicator results for the U.S. population as a whole.

INTJ and INTP make up a whopping 46% of the responders here, looking at responses through 24 September. In the US population as a whole INTJs are 2-4% and INTPs 3-5% for a total of 5-9%.

Looking at US males only, since most members posting here are male, INTJs are 2-6% and INTPs 4-7%, or 6-13% total.

So CF members are on average 4-5 times as likely to be INT(J/P) versus the US male population.

The source of the data table is the Center for Application of Psychological Type.
. Click the table to make it readable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MBTI Breakdown.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	109832  
Old 24-09-2015, 12:45   #79

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
So CF members are on average 4-5 times as likely to be INT(J/P) versus the US male population.
Do you think there might be a little selection bias here? Maybe the I's are the only ones who take the time to take the test or to enter anything on this thread.
Old 24-09-2015, 12:48   #80

Boat: Pearson 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talelajo View Post
This thread remains highly entertaining. As stated before I'm an INTJ but also left-handed dyslexic female and very happy to know I'm a member of that "revolt of the advantaged". Thanks GordMay for "Ocean cruising: a study of affirmative deviance"
It's interesting that there are 4 male INTJ's for every female INTJ. In modern society, people want a 50/50 split when it comes to jobs. Right now there are many people complaining that jobs are dominated by men in STEM (science, technology, engineering, math) fields. Well yeah, it's a 4/1 ratio you dips hit. I'm not saying other personalities don't engage in STEM but it will never be 50/50. That's simply not they way we are built. It's like saying this forum should be spread equally for all personality types. End rant.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 12:51   #81
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Do you think there might be a little selection bias here? Maybe the I's are the only ones who take the time to take the test or to enter anything on this thread.
Absolutely! The ESF(J/P)s are off having fun.
Old 24-09-2015, 12:57   #82

Quote:
It's a possibility but that doesn't mean that is what is happening. There is nothing scientific about this thread. With over 500 members in the forum at any given time we probably need at least 100 votes to get a really good idea but the results are fascinating so far. My biggest shock is that there are so many INTP's so far. I figured there would be many INTJ's. A boat is a great project for an individual/engineering type. There isn't any group think or bosses interfering with a project.
Old 24-09-2015, 13:10   #83

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:

The circumstances for me were that the tests were included in the curricula of some mid-grade post-graduate management and leadership development courses. Many years ago, in my case. There was only a certain degree of freedom to chose, once destined for one of those courses... and generally taking the courses themselves were a condition of the particular job at the time.

Maybe some people off the street might decide one day, Hey, I think I'll go take a Meyers Briggs test...

But I'd guess the percentage of that occurring is low.

-Chris
Old 24-09-2015, 13:28   #84

hey Hud3, who wants us to look "at US males only": did you find any stats on sexism or nationalism by personality type? CF is an international site, with women. And LLCoolDave if you look at Hud3's chart (which actually includes women) it shows 1-3% female INTJs vs 2-6% male so your (4/1 ratio) math is off.
I guess I (foolishly?) expected more from you guys. This thread is no longer entertaining.
Talelajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 14:58   #85

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Just to throw a little humour in, I'm on the autism spectrum (aint everyone ) what used to be called Aspergers so it's not surprising I fall within the INTJ's.

So, given the poll, is it suggesting that half of sailors are autistic
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 15:11   #86

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Just to throw a little humour in, I'm on the autism spectrum (aint everyone ) what used to be called Aspergers so it's not surprising I fall within the INTJ's.

I've never been tested, but the admiral is convinced I have Aspergers, an autistic spectrum occupier.

Certainly, I have a talent for pissing people off when it's the LAST thing I'd want to do; sort of like stepping all over your toes when I think I'm asking your to dance...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 15:15   #87

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
I've never been tested, but the admiral is convinced I have Aspergers, an autistic spectrum occupier.

Certainly, I have a talent for pissing people off when it's the LAST thing I'd want to do; sort of like stepping all over your toes when I think I'm asking your to dance...

I know just what your talking about.

Hey, we can introduce a CF diagnostic tool for Autism without some shrink throwing anti depressents and other mood inhibitors
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 15:24   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Mbti (personality) of sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post

I was going to bring that up as well, My Son was diagnosed with Aspergers, I'm too old for that diagnosis, but fit the bill as well.
A surprising number of Scientist / Engineers / Inventors of old are thought to have been as well,
Social "awkardness" is very much a marker

On edit, doing things by yourself is much more enjoyable for a person that doesn't seek social interactions as they can be counted on to screw those up, and sit there wondering why other people are acting like an ass. I'd go out on a limb and say few of us participated in "team" sports in school, but may have done well in track, cross country and other solo sports. I'd bet many do very well with "machines" , bet more than a few of us raced motorcycles, automobiles etc., as well as sailboats.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 15:27   #89

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I am an INTJ; strongly I and J and less strong for the two middle characteristics. I did this test 15 or 20 years ago when I was teaching high school but do not remember what I was. It would be interesting to know now that I have retired and sailed a lot of miles. I guess what I am asking is whether your experiences influence your perceived personality type or the reverse - or perhaps it works both ways.
Old 24-09-2015, 16:25   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talelajo View Post
hey Hud3, who wants us to look "at US males only": did you find any stats on sexism or nationalism by personality type? CF is an international site, with women. And LLCoolDave if you look at Hud3's chart (which actually includes women) it shows 1-3% female INTJs vs 2-6% male so your (4/1 ratio) math is off.
I guess I (foolishly?) expected more from you guys. This thread is no longer entertaining.
I got my info from a personality website written by a PhD psychologist. I think either stat could be true. It is the internet after all. I don't think either one of us said anything derogatory against women.

Tags
sail