Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2005, 02:57   #16

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Stuff

If you have anything that could not be replaced by going out and buying it again, you might want to find a home for it while you are cruising. Otherwise, if it can be rebought, why spend the money to store it or impose on family/friends to keep stuff (and it is only stuff) that is replaceable?

In our case, we had family photos and signed theater posters that were truly irreplaceable. So they live in a storage facility. Other than that, it's all gone. Do we miss it? Not for a minute.

Having said all that, I cried for hours when I sold my 7 yr. old Miata (don't laugh, I loved that little car). But the hassle of where to keep it and what it would cost and how disuse would hurt it made it a no-brainer. And when we move back ashore at some point, I can always get another one.

And I completely agree with the previous posts - getting rid of "stuff" is the most freeing feeling you will ever experience.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2005, 16:49   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I think Sean has made a very good point about not keeping a any depreciating items. The few depreciating items that I have will not be a issue to get rid of. Everything else will will be.
Old 31-12-2005, 17:07   #18

Non-intuitive thought

A friend went on a long-term mission a few years ago, and after he had sold down all the unimportant stuff, he found the greatest joy in giving away the possessions that had sentimental value to him to selected friends who were likely to appreciate them. I received a pair of beautiful "cracked glass" beer flutes. You may find that giving away things just for the joy of it is fun.

That is, of course, if those things aren't essential capital you need to fund your cruise.

Q: How do you expect to sail very far if you're still tied to the land?
Old 01-01-2006, 11:38   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Anwser: (in my case) Everywhere that I want to go.
Old 01-01-2006, 23:45   #20

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
M3....Mmmmmm

I have three Bimmers, so I can see how it would be hard to part with a BMW, but an M3...... storage!
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 00:05   #21

Selling Stuff

Hi,

I'm doing the same thing as we speak. Once you get started, it's amazing just how much of the stuff you are getting rid of you never use. It just sits around.

If you are having trouble selling the bike, try Ebay or Cycletrader.com..

good luck.
Amac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 05:22   #22
cruiser

I 2nd the eBay suggestion. I have sold everything, including my Mini through there. Putting no reserve is the best way, since it ends up selling for market value anyway, but attracts a lot more attention.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:31   #23

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
We too are rapidly approaching that point, Departure Spring 06. The decision is sell everything that is not small and does not have very personal value. House, cars, bikes, furniture clothes are all going going gone.

BTW anyone want to buy a house in Annapolis?
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 04:11   #24

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
Learning to liveaboard, with only what's really needed, teaches you how to cut through a lot of crap. Take for instance the saying, "You are what you drive" ... millions of Americans still believe this way, but all you have to do is contemplate on this for a few minutes to realize how utterly absurd the idea is.
Case in point, my brother-in-law was pointing out to me his shiny new luxo car with his chest all puffed up, he was telling me all about the admiration he got from others as he was driving it ... our conversation went as follows;
(me) "So I guess you passed some sorta test .. huh?"
(him) "Say what?"
I mean, apparently they only sell this car to people of upstanding quality & virtue ... right?"
(silence on his part)
Look ... the truth is, they will sell this thing to anybody with enough credit .. when people see this car going down the street, they have no idea whether it's you behind the wheel, a drug dealer or the local pervert ... all they can possibly know is that you have enough credit with the bank to buy it ... nothing more.

He was none top pleased with my take on the situation ... then again ... he dosen't know how to sail

Bob & Lynn
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 05:38   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Material possessions are a trap. We cannot achieve ultimate happiness through the acquisition of more/better possessions, because our desire for “stuff” is nearly insatiable.
I’m an acquisitive sort, and due to budgetary & space limitations, Maggie had find a way to curtail my penchant for purchasing.
She formulated an excellent rule of thumb:
Ok, you (think you) absolutely have to have it - What is it replacing?
Any new acquisition had to be offset by a commensurate (cost or space or whatever measure) disposal.
The “rule” is based upon the premise that, after years of cruising, and even more years of living, we already had everything we needed - anything more was merely an ephemeral desire.
It’s up to the “desiree” to prove the exception, in any specific case.
FWIW,
Gord

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:14   #26
cpa

Boat: Compass 47
Unhappy Thanks

I have decided to put the bike and 29er up for sale. I will store the car for the winter and then sell it in the summer. Thanks for the advice/.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:28   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A point that Gord made that we also do is we have not bought much for our home in 4 years. We are using up what we have. I also must be missing something when most people on this thread so far think that they must get rid of just about everything to be able to be free. Why? I think I can be as free as I want to be or need to be keeping the things that I have. I like what I have and oneday we will return to a land home and we will have much of our stuff.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:50   #28

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
I absolutely love old sayings ... if for no other reason that to become "old" there must be more than a bit of wisdom behind it. Someone once said, "The more you own, the more it owns you" ... truer words were never written.
Bob & Lynn
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 07:32   #29
cruiser

Quote:
irwinsailor once whispered in the wind:
A point that Gord made that we also do is we have not bought much for our home in 4 years. We are using up what we have. I also must be missing something when most people on this thread so far think that they must get rid of just about everything to be able to be free. Why? I think I can be as free as I want to be or need to be keeping the things that I have. I like what I have and oneday we will return to a land home and we will have much of our stuff.
It's a feeling you can only experience one you DO get rid of things. It's barely even describable. You have no idea you will feel it before you sell... it only comes after.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 14:53   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have sold stuff,and some times the only thing I feel is regret. Over the past few years I have sold just over $50. ( It was more but I don't want anyone to take me wrong) in mainly real estate and that has not bothered me. 4 of my cars are gone and were not replaced and that does not bother me. But at least half of what I have left would bother me a great deal if it were gone. I also look at what I will have left as a saving account, if we want to cruise longer we just sell the items later!