Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2006, 06:32   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Today a Realtor looks at our house to list it for sale. When it sells I'm sure more of our stuff will not make the move. We hope it will sell by the end of April so we can start our trip in June. See I am thinning it down.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:46   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm now working on putting my art collection on the market. I love it but I really don't need it anymore. I have been looking at it for several years now and I know what it looks like. It could give me a couple of more weeks on the boat.
Old 06-01-2006, 21:59   #48

Boat: J/35 - No Tomorrows
Thinking about this thread again..

One of the biggest freeing feelings for me, when dumping "treasures", is giving up old plans and projects. Finally admitting to myself that I'm never gettting aroud to completing them. Be it a vehicle, broken machine parts or some rare thignigummy that is no longer available.. Once its gone, suddnely I don't have to hold that bit of guilt that went along with not dealing with it anymore.

Feels WONDEFULL!

Then you can focus on what you really want to spend your time on.

-jim lee
jim lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 22:26   #49
Kai Nui

Go Gunner Go!!!
And as you think back on those things that you parted with, especially the art collection, consider that you are contributing to the greatness of that art by passing it onto others to enjoy.
Keep moving forward, because tommorrow will always have something better to offer than yesterday. Even if it is just the thrill of living another day.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:21   #50

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Treasures

When I repurchased my 28 foot boat, naturally I did not have any money in the bank. I disposed of ( sold ) technology stocks before the market crashed, two 1860 era diamond rings and the 21 foot boat I owned. Smartest thing I ever did. Gently my T8.5 effectively cost me very little. It is amazing what some people will pay for stuff. I sold two headlights from my old car ( also sold ) for $175-. All this stuff adds up. The tractor is worth three new sails.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 16:19   #51

Boat: currently "on the beach"
Not the tractor !
My God Man - You've gone too far !

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 17:11   #52

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Tractor

1941 Ford 9N, tractor of the century according to some books.
I love that tractor. Oh well.
I really missed the 37 Ford hearse that I used to own. Put in a 312 Ford OHV engine, Dodge gearbox and rear end, hydraulic brakes. Sniff. That was in 1968.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 17:52   #53

Boat: currently "on the beach"
Both must have been good for attracting women. Unusual women, but women.

Good thing your love of boats won out.

Larry

We have met the enemy and he is us. - Walt Kelly
capt lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:05   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I could sell my tractor too. I did not even think about it. It is a Massey Furguson 65 I think it is a 1958. But it is handy to have around for that one time a year that I may use it.
Old 12-01-2006, 13:06   #55

On the 31st of Dec, 2004 I bought my sailboat and ever since I have been selling all I own. At first it was hard to do but now I don't even think about it. My house has not sold yet and a few other things, however on Feb. I will move on my sailboat and by March I will be heading south. I have sold over $10K worth of goodies on Ebay. This weekend a auction house is packing what is left to sell for me. My Scooter and I have been togather for 175,000 miles and I sold it to my brother for $10. The only thing I will have left on land is a box of papers and tax junk. I can almost taste the freedom and it is sweet. I say sell it all!

matt
SV Vagans
Old 12-01-2006, 13:14   #56

I forgot to mention one the rules I made for myself, "to buy somthing for my boat I had to sell somthing to buy it with"

matt
Old 12-01-2006, 17:01   #57
Kai Nui

We have another rule that helps limit stuff. Nothing comes aboard the boat that does not have a permanent place. If it does not have a place, but I can build one, I build it first, then add the "stuff".
Old 12-01-2006, 17:58   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Knowing that I have a home to go back to incase my health gives out is a comfort. I also may want to return to watch my future Grandchildren grow up. I say sell some of it! Keep the rest!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 22:02   #59
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
I don't know, you seem to be doing pretty damn well. Don't accidentally sell the Irwin
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 22:21   #60
Kai Nui

Gunner, good logic. When we first made the leap, we had the usual lack of communicatio between couples. I told her my dream, she said it was her dream, but in time, it became obvious that this is not where she wants to spend her old age. My wife loves dirt. As a result, we decided to buy a cabin to come back to for exactly the reasons you mention. It's not much, but it's paid for. Unfortunately, we found, when we got back into the housing market, that we had been priced out in the area where we lived, so we had to purchase out of the area. This means that the house sits vacant most of the time. We have paid the price for this.
That being said, my wife is still trying to figure out how to get my lard butt over the gunwhales when the time comes. My viens still flow salt water. And she is allot more comfortable with taking off cruising, knowing that there is someplace to come back too if she can't handle it.