Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-10-2016, 11:49   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: [S]Hamble (Spring and Fall)[/S], Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Masthead camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
Panbo.com had a review the Garmin version on Aug 31. Shows it mounted at the mast head but I can't imagine going up there every time it needed a recharge.
You could send it up on a halyard or gin pole.

But if you're serious about this, it should be permanently installed and hard wired.

Since the merger with FLIR, Raymarine sell a whole variety of rugged, weatherproof cameras suitable for this purpose. The night vision ones are especially cool, but out of my budget.

But you can use a commercial outdoor PTZ security camera, too.

Visible Light Marine Cameras | Raymarine

http://www.raymarine.com/display/?id=1147

The FLIR night vision ones are pretty much standard fit on sailing superyachts.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:25   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I've thought of this for my radar arch, off set to one side. It would be cool to have a thermal IR camera.

Arch mount so I could clean it up.

Maybe put a wireless camera on the bow and run it off the deck light power?

Old 12-10-2016, 12:36   #18

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

I want a thermal camera on the masthead for security at anchor. I have a handheld and it is incredible the contrast between background and warm bodied people. We sat outside and turned out the lights, we could see the rats running through the trees. A handheld would be very useful in a MOB situation, you can see people clearly with no light, or even during the day, but a masthead would allow you to see people coming towards the boat from a long way off, even in absolute darkness.
Old 13-10-2016, 20:25   #19

Boat: Modified Roberts 36' (stretched to 39')

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Yep, and a way to charge it and get the signal to where you want it. And it will have to be waterproof.

I suspect that if you think about this for a few days, you will realize that it's not as good an idea as you might have thought at first.

If you can arrange a way to raise the camera when you need it and lower it back down for safekeeping, charging and lens cleaning, it might work.
All of the above are the reasons I suggested wifi and hauling it up in the mainsail track with a halyard although the wifi is not strictly necessary as one could use power and signal cables.

Coral navigation is not something one often does in the entire scheme of things but the TV capability would be one it would be nice to have on the occasions arose and a system readily deployed but storable out of the weather would be handy.

The mainsail track haul-up is a technique I used with a yagi TV antenna when tied up at a dock in a poor reception area to get it and keep it aimed at the transmitter. I pulled it down with the coax feed line and stowed it on the deck out of the way when I went sailing and hauled it back up when I tied up again. The bracket was made from a piece of plywood with a couple of track slugs screwed to it with small stainless screws and washers.
Old 13-10-2016, 21:47   #20

Many times we have been "glassed out" in coral cruising when the sun angle is too low to see into the water ahead. We intend to put a mast camera for that purpose.

If we haul it up the mast track, wouldn't the mast block the view forward?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-10-2016, 21:49   #21

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

A guy in Port 'd Andratx in Mallorca had a cam on his masthead. He would come into his slip in the Club de Vela maneuvering from below. It looked really weird, parked it nicely though.
Old 13-10-2016, 23:47   #22

Boat: Anything entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Many times we have been "glassed out" in coral cruising when the sun angle is too low to see into the water ahead. We intend to put a mast camera for that purpose.

If we haul it up the mast track, wouldn't the mast block the view forward?
Build a U-shaped bracket, with clamp on sail track slides on one leg of the U. And build the other leg of the bracket a bit longer so that the camera protrudes along side, & perhaps ahead of the mast.

You also could run the camera up to the first spreaders on the spin pole track if you have one. Given that it's on the mast's front side.

When choosing a daylight camera for this, it would make sense to choose one that you could fit standard sized polarizing lenses & filters to. That way you can add or remove them in order to get the best optical performance & viewing detail based on the lighting conditions at that time. Especially if the camera or it's software doesn't allow for the computer's "adding or removing" of software generated image enhancing filters.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 03:34   #23

Thanks Unciv,

Good idea👍

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-10-2016, 11:16   #24

Yep we getting there , 😎👍

Tags
camera, head, mast

Display Modes Rate This Thread