Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2018, 13:38   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Master Mariner

I recently had a bit of a dust up on the "Aground at Elbow Key" thread with a fella that backed up his point of view with the statement "I am a Master Mariner". I guess he was stating his omnipotence and letting everyone know that his position was therefore unassailable by mere mortals. I've seen similar claims on this and other forums

I have held several Masters tickets (with various limits) over the years and have several friends with unlimited tickets and they would never refer to themselves that way. I know of no jurisdiction that actually issues such a specific ticket. Can anyone tell me of any jurisdiction that actually issues a masters ticket titled "Master Mariner" is it just a colloquial reference or self applied title ?
Old 13-01-2018, 14:14   #2

Boat: Key West 2020 CC
Re: Master Mariner

A simple Google search would answer your questions.
Old 13-01-2018, 14:21   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

I think it's a typo. Should read Master Bater.
Old 13-01-2018, 14:22   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Colloquial reference to a holder of an Master Unlimited ticket.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 14:25   #5

tbh,, most of the MM ( rya, uscg, rn, etc ) that I have met I would not want to know,, whereas most of the people whom I would want to know and listen to their experiences / advice have had little , or none that they boasted of, certificates.
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 15:46   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfControl View Post
A simple Google search would answer your questions.
Did that, wondered if I'd missed a jurisdiction.
Old 13-01-2018, 16:08   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

One who has a USCG issued unlimited tonnage, unlimited oceans masters license is not a common thing. Some who do not have that will still call themselves an "unlimited master", especially in the world of yachts where there is a degree of pretentiousness typically not found in the maritime industry.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 16:26   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Master Mariner

Well I've held the Boatmaster Grade 2 ticket for 5yrs about12yrs ago.. commercial ticket that means I can skipper a boat like a ferry carrying 220 passengers but restricted to certain waters.. something like a Solent Ferry or similar.
But in reality I only think of myself as a seaman.. and being ex Royal Navy take offence to being called Captain or Skipper.. us lower decker's referred to Officers as Pigs.
Here's Wiki's definition..
A Master Mariner is the professional qualification required for someone to serve as the Captain of a commercial vessel of any size, of any type, operating anywhere in the world.
The term master mariner has been in use at least since the 13th century, reflecting the fact that in guild or livery company terms, such a person was a master craftsman in this specific profession (e.g. master Carpenter, master Blacksmith[2]). In the United States, the term was introduced in the mid-19th century.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 16:41   #9

Boat: Westerly Sealord

The holder of what was called a 'Certificate of Competency as Master of a Foreign-Going Ship' which was considered in Australia to be the equivalent to 'Master Class 1 Steamship' ( which would rather limit ones employment prospects these days ) which then became 'Master Class 1 ' and then simply 'Master'....

That and command time are what you need to join the Honourable Company ... HCMM – The Honourable Company of Master Mariners

To feel the need to mention it on a forum... or anywhere else ... is rather sad....
Old 13-01-2018, 16:47   #10

I've held a Master Mariners (Unlimited) certificate for 24 years now...

Started with a coxswains then Master 5, Master 4, Master 3, Master Less than 3000/Chief Mates Unlimited then.....

Nothing colloquial or self applied at all, all hard earned with years of sea time and attending Maritime Collage.....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 16:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

To feel the need to mention it on a forum... or anywhere else ... is rather sad....
Agreed if using your qualification in an attempt to prove a point, if asking if they exist though

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 17:30   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I think someone who has achieved a MM license from a credible country with high qualification standards, deserves a bit of respect.

It shows that they once demonstrated a lot of discipline and a deep understanding and curiosity of marine related subjects.

Whether they eventually lost that level of curiosity as management pressures morphed them into political, belligerent bullies, cannot be something you can generalise.

There are good and bad in every profession, but you should respect their professional achievements rather than indulge in some sort of reverse snobbery.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 18:11   #13

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I think someone who has achieved a MM license from a credible country with high qualification standards, deserves a bit of respect.
Certainly obtaining credentials from a respect ed professional organization deserves respect. It is just very easy to loose that respect if you use them as a troll or as a justification for being dogmatic or rude.
Old 13-01-2018, 18:19   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I never read the thread the OP was referring to when I posted this, so just a general comment

Obviously context is important when discussing a particular individuals attitude.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 18:32   #15

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I disagree Pelagic, the second somebody whips out their credentials in a non-professional setting I look askance at them.

If they want to say “I’ve been a professional seaman and spent 15yr doing navigation, bridge watch office dealing with COLREGS situations or whatever that is pertinent to the topic of discussion and my experience has been thus . . . “ I can appreciate that.

Somebody who’s approach is “believe me I have this related license.” That makes me take whatever their opinion is with a large rock of salt.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, mast