Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 09:45   #1

Marine Propane Tank ?

OK really 6 lb propane tank for a cruising boat? And it costs 17 bucks to fill. The same as a 20#r for your home grill.

Is there any reason you can't use your standard propane tank from a home grill to cook on the boat? Anyone out there try this?

The marine tanks are so expensive to buy to have as a backup.

I am always looking for a bargin. I say I am thrifty, my husband calls me cheap! LOL

Thanks!
ggeardino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:56   #2

Boat: Irwin 40
20lb is a bit big for a boat but yes it will work, and the steel will rust and leave rust stains under the tank. But as long as it is a DOT approved tank (and they will not fill one that is not) you will be ok. remember storage has to be approved even above decks must meet requirements.
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:07   #3

Thanks, we have a storage locker for our tank now and the backup tank would go in the storage locker as well. There is actually another spot for one. We cook all the time and go through those small tanks pretty quickly.
ggeardino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:19   #4

While a little pricey at $100 USD, it will be a one-time expense. I like these tanks due to the weight savings since they are fiberglass, the 'see through' feature to check propane level (does anybody's gauge really work), and they will not leave behind rust stains.
You can view the take at Lite Cylinder
Usual disclaimer......I just think it is a neat product.
Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 13:48   #5

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Somebody is ripping you off charging that much. Here it's $2.40 per gallon, or $.60 per pound. So at our prices would be $3.60 for the little tank and $12.00 for the 5 gallon tank.

Yes you can use regular propane tanks, just make sure that the fiberglass tanks aren't exposed to sunlight for long periods. The carrier, the part that is blue or white will crack. Many of them at the local propane shop..

We carry 2-10 gallon tank {40 lbs each} on our boat, so we have steel tanks because all they make the glass tanks are in little 20 lb tanks.
I took the tank and lightly sanded the bottom half to take the shine off and painted then with pick up truck bed liner paint, it's thick and very rugged. Have never had a tank rust out..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 15:13   #6

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
I have a mid 80's Irwin, and the propane locker seems to have been designed to accomodate a standard 20# grill type tank. Being a liveaboard, formally in the New York area, I added 2 30# tanks on deck with a automatic 2 tank regulator (switches from the empty tank to the full one on it's own). All the tanks have the bottom "rim" protected by a section of rubber hose split down the length and wire tied in place. This system has been in use aboard my boat for going on ten years now. The tanks are showing signs of some corrosion now, but will likely last for the additional two years that will require recertification (they are good for 12 years between certs). I will likely just purchase new tanks when the certs run out. The were only about $70 US each(full) when I initially bought them. I think that the standard 20# tanks are fine for use aboard, and have the added convieniance of being available as a "turn in" for a replacement at many hardware stores in the US.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 16:13   #7

Boat: Tartan 41 #68
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
remember storage has to be approved even above decks must meet requirements.
Approved by who, and whose requirements?
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 16:27   #8

Boat: PETERSON 44
I had these really old well maintained tanks steel ones like you see on fork lifts. they had been to Florida bahamas newengland yadddahh and were well into 20 years. I couldn't get them filled at some places old as they were and wanting a stamp but they were fine well maintained gear. I have aluminum ones now one has a valve that is being replaced. Probably more of a concern are all the other pieces to make it safe.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 17:00   #9

Quote:
does anybody's gauge really work
The sole purpose of the gauge is to test for leaks in the system. The only way to tell the amount of propane in a tank is to weigh it - being able to see the level is a really nice feature of the see-thru composite tanks.

Quote:
Approved by who, and whose requirements?
Wayne is offline so I'll answer for him, maybe he wants to add something later. Approved by your insurance company as per ABYC requirements. ABYC standards are not law, but they do hold up in court and if you have a claim resulting from an improperly installed propane system you will most likely lose the case. This is info for the USA, for other countries check with your insurance agent or appropriate regulatory agencies.
ShipShape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 17:23   #10

Im a little off the approved thing. It feals like Big brother stuff. You can do a lot of things that aren't approved. If your worried that insurance won't cover you then don't do anything they don't like and they still will try to squeeze you. Thats their job. SOme things that aren't approved you shouldn't do and some things are well worth doing. So far Ive done lots of things that some people approve of and some didn't. The record is pretty good so far. If I ram your boat my liability insurance should pay you. on the other hand if my boat blows up.... I get to yell and scream hire friends and then not go to court and settle. Never had a claim on a boat but a freak storm ripped the roof off my house. Lots of things were not right with the house but they settled when they saw the fight and only when they saw the fight. It was pretty cut and dry roof peeled off in freak shear winds neighbors had similar results. It still was a fight. Making decisions based on what some insurance adjuster claims does not fit with my style.
Old 12-11-2010, 17:29   #11

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 36 - Rapport
We have two ten lb. tanks, aluminum. We cook alot and each tank will last about 3 months. Both tanks where expensive to purchase but will last a life time.
Old 12-11-2010, 17:33   #12

Boat: Cheoy Lee Clipper 36 - Rapport
We have two ten lb. aluminum tanks. They where expensive to purchase but will last a life-time. Each tank will supply cooking gas for about three months and we are live-aboard's and cook just about every day.
Old 12-11-2010, 17:43   #13

Boat: CS 36 Traditional
Making decisions based on what some insurance adjuster claims does not fit with my style.[/QUOTE]

I like you way of thinking, otherwise we are not free, but rather ruled by corporations.
Gaucho Marino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 17:51   #14

Boat: Irwin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Im a little off the approved thing. It feals like Big brother stuff. You can do a lot of things that aren't approved. If your worried that insurance won't cover you then don't do anything they don't like and they still will try to squeeze you. Thats their job. SOme things that aren't approved you shouldn't do and some things are well worth doing. So far Ive done lots of things that some people approve of and some didn't. THe record is pretty good so far. If I ram your boat my liabilty insurance should pay you if my boay blows up. I get to yell and scream hire friends and then not go to court and settle. Never had a claim on a boat but a freak storm ripped the roof off my house. Lots of things were not right with the house but they settled when they saw the fight and only when they saw the fight. It was pretty cut and dry roof peeled off in freak shear winds neighbors had similar results. It still was a fight. Making decisions based on what some insurance adjuster claims does not fit with my style.
The ABYC and NFPA recommendations are sort of common sense to keep explosive gases out of your boat that really is there intent and if you looked at them and knew what they were you would likely agree. The recommendations are written because not every body thinks or knows of the potential dangers
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 18:34   #15

So agree and learn so much from thes guidelines. I like guidelines. Like bouts they are a chosen path. Sometimes locals know how to get through another way that is not the chosen path. They ate both paths and may work well or not. Do I want you to be readily handy to consult with everytime I choose., with mo offense even though you have hood advice deisively no. I can make good choices without my insurance broker approval. I obviously don't like insurance mandates or much else that dictates what risks I may tak.