Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2019, 08:50   #1

Marine Propane Stove Oven

Has anyone installed an RV propane stove oven in their sailboat?? The SS models are half the price of marine ones and look like some of them could be adapted to put rails on and the switch that controls the propane. Any thoughts or ideas?
Thanks!
GrammaC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 10:34   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Marine Propane Stove Oven

Our old Shipmate is just about dead after 40 years and it was built from domestic and RV components. If the RV stove looked OK I would be tempted. As it is I'm looking at some small stainless stove tops they sell here in Guatemala for your casa. Since we don't bake, we won't miss the oven much. I use the oven to store batteries and spare GPS, radio etc.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 11:10   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Certainly a good idea. Many of the marine stoves are complete garbage. They don’t have shields to keep the heat from scorching the bottom of what you are baking well not cooking the top. Also the heat is not evenly distributed.

Whatever you get, make sure you looked at the flame is shielded away from the item you’re cooking.

But certainly you can put whatever you want in. Everything has the same no heat gas shut off system these days. Gone are the days when you can turn the knob and fill the place with propane. I used a residential cooktop in mine.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 17:12   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We just put a Dickenson Med in our boat. We had a Princess. Holy carp, what a difference. Just a great stove. But, if you don't need/want gimbals, go for it. We got ours from Defender during a sale.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2019, 17:21   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

we have been shopping for an RV lately and have been shocked that none of the stoves we have seen have thermocouples on the stoves. Neither are any of these RV's fitted with propane fume detectors or remote solenoid shut-offs.

Safe Boat Propane System Installation
Old 19-09-2019, 01:45   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammaC9 View Post
Has anyone installed an RV propane stove oven in their sailboat?? The SS models are half the price of marine ones and look like some of them could be adapted to put rails on and the switch that controls the propane. Any thoughts or ideas?
Thanks!
Who you should ask about this is SailorChic34. She put in an RV propane stove and oven into her boat. IT DOES NOT HAVE SAFETY THERMOCOUPLES.
So, if you're willing to take the risk, as she is, send her a personal message (PM), and she'll tell you all about it. There's a thread somewhere her, but I haven't a clue as to it's name, any more, sorry.

Ann
Old 19-09-2019, 09:25   #7

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

For 10 years I used a stainless steel camping stove like ones you can buy from Amazon for $55. Then three years ago I bought a used marine stove from Craigslist. It has an oven and is gimbaled. It cost me $350 so about one third of a new one. They often come up for sale so it is just a matter of keeping a lookout for the right one. Happy cooking. F
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 09:42   #8

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
we have been shopping for an RV lately and have been shocked that none of the stoves we have seen have thermocouples on the stoves. Neither are any of these RV's fitted with propane fume detectors or remote solenoid shut-offs.

You really have to search to find the propane fume detector. It has been well hidden in every RV we have had. Usually at the baseboard level and often in a corner. Once found it inside a cabinet??!!
S/V Adeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 16:58   #9

Boat: Freedom 32'

Be it Marine or RV stove, be sure to check the BTU's. Over 9,000 is best. I have a Hillerange and it takes forever to bring water to a boil. I think the btu's are 6 or 8,000. I'm thinking of getting an Atwood RV like SailorChic has.
Old 24-09-2019, 11:47   #10

Boat: Hunter 37 Cheribini

When I upgraded my Kerosene stove to Propane a year ago I got a Force 10 as it was recommended by all I talked to about stoves. All aspects of it are made for sailboats and has thermocouples on all burners and temp controlled oven too. Also has Broiler that many don't have, I can't put a BBQ Grill on the Taft rail as too many other things back there.

Flame control is even better than my home stove! Oh, and it's rated at 8200 BTU, but boils water very fast.

Capt. Wayne
Apollo366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 17:54   #11
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

Propane is both a luxury and liability. Follow the ABYC guidelines regarding tank location, drainage, solenoid wiring (usually with a lighted switch in a prominent location), and thermocouples. The point of thermocouples on the burners and oven is to shutdown propane supply if the flame goes out for some reason and you’re not paying attention. Propane filling your cabin space turns your boat into a bomb. I also recommend carbon monoxide detectors as well as smoke alarms on any closed space on your boat. I remember using alcohol stoves as a kid which had their own set of issues.
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 18:59   #12

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Stainless Steel comes in two Grades, 316 or 304, Both are suitable for marine installations,
Marine Stainless Steel is a gimmick by sellers to charge you extra, Nothing more,

Only difference between an ordinary stove and a Marine stove is a Marine stove is Gymboled,
I bought one of these, Its a Camping stove I will use in the cockpit on LPG bottles,
It does have a thermocouple on it, Flames goes out, It shuts down automatically,
I have cooked a Roast on it, Its excellent, $80-00 delivered,
The roast cooked on the minimum setting,

I did this to avoid getting a gas certificate for my boat, Which is very expensive here,
I did put a two burner Camping stove in it with rails around it, It worked perfectly too,
But I wouldnt get a certificate for it,
So its been disconnected,
The old gas stove that was in it fell to bits, and all the new ones were 40mm too wide for the hole it came out off,
And Im not paying over $700-00 for a new stove, Plus there is too much work widening the hole to take the new stove,

I also changed the Dometic LPG Fridge to 110 Volts thru a Transformer from 240 volts from the invertor from my batterys,

I also installed 12 volt gas detectors in both my Hulls and the LPG locker,

I also have a LPG gas stove-griller that came with the boat that can be used in the cockpit as well, I bought new parts for it and its now working, But I have never cooked any thing on it yet,
These are supposed to be very good,

Hope this info helps,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat, Gas detectors 001.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	200711   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat,  BBQ base made into a boat stove, 005 (4).jpg
Views:	158
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	200712  

Name:	Boat,  BBQ base made into a boat stove, 005 (2).jpg
Views:	140
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	200713   Click image for larger version

Name:	BBQ, 006.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	200714  

Name:	BBQ, 010.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	356.9 KB
ID:	200715   Click image for larger version

Name:	BBQ, 009.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	200716  

Name:	Boat, Stove install, 008.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	336.8 KB
ID:	200720   Click image for larger version

Name:	Propane cooker, 001.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	200721  

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 19:03   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

My friends have one and they like it.

We bought a marine (HA HA HA) Dometic / WAECO stove and we absolutely hate it. Piece of junk.

I am shopping for RV stuff next.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 19:08   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Stainless Steel comes in two Grades, 316 or 304, Both are suitable for marine installations,
Marine Stainless Steel is a gimmick by sellers to charge you extra, Nothing more,

Only difference between an ordinary stove and a Marine stove is a Marine stove is Gymboled
Actually there are dozens of grades of stainless steel for many different purpose.

None of the three appliances in your photos have thermocouples. It's quite easy to search that out online.

Not all marine stoves are gimballed.
Old 29-09-2019, 19:11   #15

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post

I would not have a propane stove on a cruising boat without thermocouple protection. The RV stove in our trailer certainly doesn't have them. There are too many ways the flame could go out and not get dealt with quickly. Say a wave launching down the companionway...... Unexpected rain or gusts through an open hatch....
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, oven, propane, stove