Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2008, 16:53   #1

Boat: Catalina 320
Marina recommendations? (Chesapeake, south of Annapolis)

Greetings,

I've had an offer accepted on a 32' boat. If the survey goes well I'll be taking possession in a week or two. I live in DC and need to find a slip within a 90 minute drive. I will not be living aboard, but will certainly spend some weekend nights on the boat occasionally.

The farthest south I'll go is Flag Harbor, a small marina that I really like (just wish it were closer). I've not been there in years, but I'm aware of the Herrington Harbor North and South marinas, and I know of but have not been to Shipwright Harbor in Deale.

Can anyone offer any thoughts--positive or negative--on any of these, or any others? I'll likely steer clear of Annapolis itself (costly & crowded) but if there is a marina there that you love it would nice to know about that, too. Any knowledge of current slip fees would also be very helpful.

Thanks!

Kevin
Popeye21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2008, 08:37   #2

Boat: Tartan 37C "Windgeist"
Herrington Harbor North is a very nice marina and one big plus is all the available marine services located there.

I would ask you however why not consider North of Annapolis?
Windgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2008, 07:09   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windgeist View Post
Herrington Harbor North is a very nice marina and one big plus is all the available marine services located there.
Thanks, Windgeist. I actually stopped by Herrington Harbor North and South yesterday. They are both quite nice -- pricey and enormous, too -- with lots of amenities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windgeist View Post
I would ask you however why not consider North of Annapolis?
It's just easier to get to from DC. I'd like to avoid Route 50 and the summer traffic on it.
Old 29-09-2008, 12:19   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye21 View Post
It's just easier to get to from DC. I'd like to avoid Route 50 and the summer traffic on it.
I used to work in Bethesda and live aboard in Baltimore. There was a rush hour backup on the inner loop between 270 and 95, but 95 itself was usually not so bad.

I've had good experiences with Harborview and Baltimore Marine Center.
Old 29-09-2008, 18:12   #5

Boat: Tartan 37C "Windgeist"
We live in Rockville and boats in Pasadena...takes about an hour but then I don't go 495 either
Windgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:25   #6

Boat: Islander Freeport 38C, " Bristol 29.9, "Rag Time"
If you can handle crossing the Bay Bridge I highly recommend Piney Narrows Yacht Haven on Kent Island (take exit 41). We have been at this marina for two years and have talked with many who have been here for up to twenty years. Prices are quite good, management is excellent, and the facilities are second to none. Bubblers are in place and running during the cold weather months, so ice is not a problem. We live on our dcmy and also have a 30-foot sailboat tied in its own slip. We love it here. It might be worth checking out.
BoatTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:56   #7

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Kevin, I too have dealt with the traffic between Baltimore and DC and the Bay Bridge and I would not want to do it/ What about the marina downtown DC? There are several small marinas on the Virginia neck but Kilkenny is the only one I recall.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:18   #8

How about down at Solomons, MD? Google maps says it's 60 miles and 90 minutes from downtown DC. It used to be a nice drive (mostly rural) when I lived in the area back in the early 80's, and Solomons is a very nice area. I'm not sure of the price for dockage, but there are (at least there used to be) nice marinas there.
Brian
amarinesurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 18:04   #9

Thanks for all the input everyone. I closed on the boat last Saturday and am now the proud owner of my first boat, a '95 Catalina 320! (boy, writing that check with the markets going nuts was a bit nervewracking, but I suspect the timing also helped me get a really good price. I think it is a buyers market.)

Here she is: My Boat: S/V Winter Whim

Immediately after the closing I sailed her off to Rockhold Creek Marina, a mellow little marina in Deale. I'm on a month-to-month and will keep her there until the end of November. Between now and then I'll decide if I'll pull her out for the winter and where her longer term home will be (though I might keep her there. It's a cool place with nice people).

On the latest suggestions:

Pasadena: Hmmm, maybe. I had wanted to stay south of Annapolis to avoid summer traffic Rte 50 from DC, but I hear it might not be so bad. I'll check that area out.

DC: Nope, for several reasons. (1) I live in the city and a key reason for the boat is as my escape from the city. (2) Not enough water. The Potomac is just too narrow and shallow for good sailing with anything other than a smaller centerboard boat down to at least Mt Vernon (maybe 15 miles). (3) Those DC marinas are crazy expensive, and not particularly nice.

Solomons: I love the area, and I am considering it. It's a bit further away than ideal (about 1:45 where I am in DC), but the prices are better.

All the suggestions are really appreciated! Since I still don't know where I'll be in the spring, if anyone else has a thought please feel free to weigh in. I'm looking for a laid back, moderately-priced marina that is ideally 90 minutes or less from DC,
Old 10-10-2008, 19:43   #10

Lots of routes to Pasadena from DC without using 50. About a 45 minute drive.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 19:52   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
Lots of routes to Pasadena from DC without using 50. About a 45 minute drive.
Yeah, I'll have a look around up there. Thanks for the suggestions, Chuck.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:59   #12

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!
Hi Popeye,
I've sailed out of HH North several times on a friends boat and it really is a nice harbor. Rockhold is just across the inlet right? I fully understand the travel time and can get from Centreville VA to Deale in 1 hour in non rush but figure on a Friday afternoon it could double. I'll be hopefully looking at Cats over the next several months so will be interested in sharing ideas on a slip with you. As for now I'm off to the boat show and a ride on Tuesday!

Steve in VA
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 17:08   #13

Is Solomons, MD totally out for you then? Flag Harbor is very close to Solomons. In Solomons, try Spring Cove. There are many nice ones there, however.
lori dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2008, 23:38   #14

Boat: CSY33
Beautiful boat!

What's your draft?
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 07:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekka View Post
Beautiful boat!

What's your draft?