Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2015, 12:35   #1

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Marina prices = Top Secret?

I still don't understand why marina prices are so tightly guarded secrets, but does anyone have a list of current prices on the gulf coast?

I'm planning a trip from Texas to Florida, and would alike a list ofplaces to stop along the way that won't break the bank.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:42   #2

Boat: Pearson 365
Re: Marina prices = Top Secret?

I never knew it was a secret. I've always used Active Captain and it seems to always have the dockage and fuel listed. It also has marina reviews. Its time to become a member. Cost nothing too.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 13:21   #3

The active captain was a good call. Lots of blanks for marinas in Lake Charles, and Destin, Pensacola.

Looks like a good resource once all the numbers get filled in.

Does anyone have any solid numbers for these areas, short of me calling all 30 marinas, and asking the price? (even the marina's OWN web page says call for price.)
Old 11-05-2015, 13:25   #4

I never really got the point of not posting prices online unless they are unreasonable for the area.

Active Captain is about the best source we've found. If you find marinas without info, add them as you go thru, so the next guy isn't looking ofr them.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 13:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I never really got the point of not posting prices online unless they are unreasonable for the area.

Active Captain is about the best source we've found. If you find marinas without info, add them as you go thru, so the next guy isn't looking ofr them.
In the age of the internet not posting your price is just wasting every one's time, and money. I WILL find your price, and the price of your competitor, it will just take longer.

Apparently marina owners still think they are living in the dark ages.
Old 11-05-2015, 14:15   #6

Boat: Pearson 365

Maybe they think once you waste your time and go there you will stay and pay what ever they ask. You would think the marinas would call active Captain and let the cat out of the bag so people would know what to expect. They must think they have a monopoly on boats passing through.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 15:01   #7

I think every marina in the seattle tacoma area has the price list online.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 15:03   #8

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I still don't understand why marina prices are so tightly guarded secrets, but does anyone have a list of current prices on the gulf coast?

I'm planning a trip from Texas to Florida, and would alike a list ofplaces to stop along the way that won't break the bank.
It seems a bit odd to suggest that marina prices are "tightly guarded secrets". You can call and ask and they will tell you the price.

I get marina prices from active captain and I can't recall a listing that doesn't include at least basic rates. You can always call and ask but remember, the price you get today may not be the price the charge next year or even next month. Same with a price that was posted on the Internet a year ago.
Old 11-05-2015, 15:07   #9
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

The cheapest marina was Shell Morgan in Louisiana. A good place to fuel up and spend a night. $20.00. Shell Morgan Landing Inc. | Abbeville, LA | Waterway Guide Marina Listing . Morgan City is also $20.00/night I think. Houma, La. is $25.00/night.

Figure $1.00-$2.00/ft. per night for the rest of your trip. Weekly rates are usually less.

We've done it both ways, and probably have receipts, but would take some time to go through everything. Maybe figure out the places you would like to stop, and give them a call?

Have fun. When are you leaving? We're heading back that way in October.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 15:26   #10

Join BoatUS and you get discounts at many marinas on dockage and fuel. Sometimes 25% off on dockage. Joining TowBoatUS gets you the membership and free towing as well. I wouldn't leave home without it.
Old 11-05-2015, 15:48   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
In the age of the internet not posting your price is just wasting every one's time, and money. I WILL find your price, and the price of your competitor, it will just take longer.

I don't see it that way.

I can understand that a Marina manager may want to have flexibility to offer "competitive" pricing to fill their vacancies at that time.

Meaning, just like a Hotel, those visitor slips are a resource that does not make any money unless it is filled/paid. And, like hotel nights, the $$ value of those rooms/slips does not exist unless someone is paying to use it, if not paid, then only the overhead remains.

In other words, by NOT posting a price online, the manager can retain the ability to negotiate on the spot, to meet demand.

If I were you, I would call the marina and simply ask them in a nice, friendly voice:

"I have a (x feet LOA) (power/sail) boat with (x feet) draft, and will be arriving on (x date) and I need the price for a (x) night stay THAT night. Please give me your best price because I am checking three marinas and will make a commitment/booking with payment by credit card within the hour. Also, please let me know if any discounts are available for veterans/etc."
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 15:53   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Sure is nice to have a choice! In the Philippines we have only 3 small retail marinas
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 16:20   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post

"I have a (x feet LOA) (power/sail) boat with (x feet) draft, and will be arriving on (x date) and I need the price for a (x) night stay THAT night. Please give me your best price because I am checking three marinas and will make a commitment/booking with payment by credit card within the hour. Also, please let me know if any discounts are available for veterans/etc."
I don't pay in advance unless I have to because I might not make it that far that day. You can never tell.

Also, marina prices are often at least partially based on the condition of the docks and facilities, amenities and convenience to shopping or restaurants. It's up to you to decide what these things are worth to you.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:39   #14

Quote:
Not just marina owners. Lots of businesses. When I see "call for prices" I translate that to read "this is a company that you should only do business with if you have absolutely no other choice."

And I'm almost 60 years old. I am not "the younger generation." Those who ARE among the younger generations are even more adamant about not wanting to have to call, but having it right there on the website. Business owners beware: you are not going to survive in the future with a "call for prices" policy.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:15   #15

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

Rather than a secret, I wonder if marinas don't list anything that's subject to change in a 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... years period, since they usually don't know how to update their website in a timely fashion(1-20 year period).
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price