Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2015, 17:41   #31

Boat: Various
Re: Marina prices = Top Secret?

I find 90% have the transient prices on their web site. Others have poor web sites in general. As to seasonal and annual rates there are so many options and annual changes, I see why many don't post that.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 18:21   #32

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I haven't been able to find the "make a call" menu on my phone in weeks.
Maybe I need to download a new make a voice call app. You mean they still make voice calls?
Dude, you have to use your "talk to type" app and speak whatever you want to text.

Thumb typing is so last decade!

(Coming from someone that does not own a smart phone. )
Old 12-05-2015, 20:17   #33

Boat: Rhodes Pearson 41 sloop

ActiveCaptain not only lists prices for overnight, weekly and monthly rates, as well as fuel prices, but some marinas also give a discount for ActiveCaptain membership. There are also reviews of the marinas so you know what to expect.
jessehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 23:30   #34

Some marinas won't give discounts for anything but most marinas offer all sorts of discount possibilities from Cash to Boat US to tow coverage to specific credit cards to cash to quantities to those who dock there to day of the week.
Old 16-09-2015, 04:04   #35

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

I have been searching all over Florida east coast and Caribbean for Marina space with an annual lease. And I agree with the OP, pricing is a secret. I can get pricing on the internet for almost everything at any time. Except slip rates. I don't want to call every marina. I don't want to wait until I get close and then check. I want to use the internet, plan my travel, have options and back up, and do it all before I leave.

And if marinas don't get set up for the new generation of sailors, they will fail. Steady mentioned it's like hotels and I completely disagree. I can get any hotel room rate, discounts, coupons, and everything I want to know about that hotel in seconds. Most marinas want you to fill out a reservation slip. To much information required.

Post your pricing. If your going to go to the time and expense to set up a web site, use it. And if your going to hide it or make me fill out a form, I will go elsewhere. I want to comparison shop for my dockage space and I will.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 07:31   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
And if marinas don't get set up for the new generation of sailors, they will fail... And if your going to hide it or make me fill out a form, I will go elsewhere.
This is the ultimate power that the consumer has to force businesses to change, the power to go elsewhere. It seems like a lot of the marine industry has yet to realize that it is the 21st century.

I have repeatedly seen brokers making the stupidly mistaken claim that people who are really interested in buying want to call on the telephone, and only the tire-kickers want to get all the information off the internet. Hey! Guess what? You're not hearing from serious buyers who want to get all the information off the internet because you're living in the last century! The modern buyers (and ALL the buyers of the future) are rapidly abandoning you for your competitors, who are NOT living in the last century!

Same is true for marinas. Same is true for marine service companies. Right now a lot of them are standing on the tracks. They are either going to hop on the train, or they are going to be run over by it.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2015, 11:39   #37

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

~~Florida East Coast and Caribbean Marinas do nicely from transients and not really interested in long term live aboard's.
Not in their interest either to have bidding wars and they like to eye ball their tenants. Easier to turn them away by pricing than outright refusal.~~
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 10:33   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
...they like to eye ball their tenants. Easier to turn them away by pricing than outright refusal.
I'm not buying that. I have never had anyone hesitate to quote a rate if you call them on the phone. If eye-balling potential tenants was an issue, then they wouldn't do that.

I still think that it is mostly because they are living in the last century.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 10:43   #39

Most marina's are not in the web design business. They hired someone to design their site. They keep it as generic as possible so they don't need to pay someone to make changes. Many times changes are billed at a Mini, so small businesses will wait until there are many changes. Alternatively, they design a somewhat static page and let it run forever.

The last thing they want to hear about is the quoted or invoiced price is not what is advertised online.

I hear people trying to book transient slips over VHF as they are coming into an area. I've never heard prices or costs discussed over VHF. I've had places discuss when I arrive or have me call a landline to pass credit card info., prices, etc.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 10:55   #40

"yeah we got space..... 'ow much you lookin' to spend?"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 13:03   #41
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

There is one other wildcard. If the destination is having some kind of special tourist attraction, all bets are off. In particular I am thinking of Key West. I've stayed at the Galleon Marina a few times, if memory serves, it was about $2/ft. But if you arrive for something like Fantasy Fest, forget it. The price will be at least double.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 17:48   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
There is one other wildcard. If the destination is having some kind of special tourist attraction, all bets are off. In particular I am thinking of Key West. I've stayed at the Galleon Marina a few times, if memory serves, it was about $2/ft. But if you arrive for something like Fantasy Fest, forget it. The price will be at least double.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
One more not so wild card too. In some areas, such as Fort Lauderdale, marinas are pretty full during season and they are not in a situation that they care to or need to compete on price.
Old 17-09-2015, 19:19   #43

on my first trip down the ICW from the north east to Florida, I stayed in a marina every other night. Then I found out it was actually easier to just Anchor out, plus I saved a bunch of money
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 07:28   #44

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

If dragging my mouse over Google maps can give me High, low, special room rates, and one click booking price, and number of vacancies. Marinas can do MUCH better.

Active Captain is good, but relies on third party to update.

One advantage hotels have is they are mostly national chains, and linked to international booking networks.

Marinas just need to get with the program. maybe time for us IT, and Automation experts to step up to the plate.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price