Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 21:57   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
We are the same if you are on a nice concrete jetty. I'm slightly cheaper being on a wooden finger.
I had to pay $22/DAY for the visitors birth till Geoffs birth became available. We have another increase coming in Oct.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 22:07   #32

Boat: Lotus 10.6
the $480pm in Auck is for a 12m berth, not 14m.
Old 04-07-2008, 22:12   #33

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro
Although we own our 12mtr marina berth licence in Auckland 100% in perpetuity, we still have to pay NZ$1040.63 per quarter for the pleasure + $100 pa for electricity. Just wondering if this is around the norm? Not too many years ago it was around $600. per quarter and is steadily on the rise.......... much like everything else I guess. :-(
Kiwikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 22:39   #34

Boat: Lotus 10.6
At Mana we pay operating expenses of approx $500pa and another couple of hundred for a maintenance fund for our 12m.
Five years ago I paid $100 total, four years ago $200....
Still away behind but moving in the same direction.
Marina prices have doubled over that time though so a good capital gain.

Wonder what the poor people are doing?
Old 05-07-2008, 04:14   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post
They are not bad prices Midlandone...
...I would have thought that the LHCC wouldn't care about the berth holders and crank the rents to whatever the market would pay. They should be acting for their ratepayers and trying to turn as large a profit as they can.
Shhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

But as well as the objective of providing public marine facilities for the city they see it as part of a wider objective of promoting the development of marine activities in the area with other landowners, etc. For example you are probably aware of the string of big race boats being built just across the road by Hakes for various overseas sailing celebrities now.

There is a new lot of berths underway now in the marina and a commercial block of workshops for boatbuilders, painters and riggers, dry storage building for trailer boats (for those with boats they don't want to get wet ), cafe, etc due to soon start going in on part of the hardstand. The secure trailer boat storage has been extended, the launching ramps improved and supposedly a replacement travel lift (50 tonne I think) in the nearish future too.

So, sort of seen as part of city development rather than just somewhere for people to park boats for milking them of dollars. I reckon the cafe will go great guns given the number of people that work in the area and nothing else similar there - would've considered trying to put my 2 offspring into it but they have both done the food thing and want no more of it .

What will happen to the lease costs after all the above has happened I don't know but they state that an intention is to reduce the dependance on berth license income for profitability (the marina is a CCO so is a company, not part of the LHCC itself - LHCC's just the shareholder).

Is a big lump of land there and if they were to end up trying to get a return from pretty much just the berth licences and trailer boat secure parks alone to give a return on the valuation of that I would hate to contemplate what our fees would be .

Here's hoping for the future .
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 14:15   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Port Marl. is also a company with the MDC the share holder. It is a way of getting around the legalities of the council earning profits from rate payers. The MDC has told PM that they want a 100% increase in it's returns over the next 5yrs. As they can not earn that from the commercial port, it comes down to the next available thing, Marina's and the associated buisnesses.
If you are a supporting business (mechanic for example) you can not work on a boat unless you register with the Port company. You must carry $13m in public liability insurance. That amount costs an arm and a leg. PM has now tried to have a "Royalty" paid for working on a boat. They have asked for a 10% fee to be paid to them. That so far as been met with "shove it where the sun don't shine" replies.
They are trying to have all moorings in the sounds removed. So far that has been changed to, no further moorings can be put down unless you own land. The mooring is to service your land. The application of new moorings in Waikawa have all been stoped under the RMA. PM say that new moorings will impede on their future plans of expansion of the marina facility. The expansion is being held up at the moment because of a stalemate over the moving of all the existing moorings in the expansion area. No party can come to an agreement over where the moorings should be shifted to. PM had suggested they put in pile moorings, but with no breakwater, the boats could be placed side on to horrific winds, waves and Ferry wash.
We had no voice at one time, but have since formed an association called the Marlborough Mooring and berth holders association so as funds can be raised to fight many of these issues through court. That has been the only way we have been able to stop the bullying tactics that PM have imposed in the past. Here is the MBM home page. There is some interesting reading here.
Marlborough Berth & Mooring | Home

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 16:34   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Port Marl. is also a company with the MDC the share holder...
As I recall it here when the big local body rationalisation took place throughout NZ and the assets were divvied up (mid 1990's? so a whiles ago and I may not recall exactly correctly) there was quite a bit of discussion in Wellington region about where things ended up so the marinas (the council owned ones) stayed with the respective councils (being Wellington for Evans Bay and Clyde Quay, and Hutt City with Seaview) rather than going into the port company, the airport went into the airport company (now majority owned by the listed company Infratil rather than by the councils), the cargo/passenger port infrastructure into the two District Councils (Greater Wellington and whatever the Manawatu one is called) ownership as a company, and harbour operations and management to the Greater Wellington District Council. So there is no overarching hand controlling all to suit their own selfish whims.

Whereas I think you have ended up, with the passage of time, with MDC Holdings Ltd owning the port infrastructure, all (I think) the marinas and the airport with the airport being a financial sick dog, and the Marlborough District Council (which owns MDC Holdings) having harbour operations and management. So the one District Council controls everything and that over a vast stretch of water.

Would seem to me that the opportunities for rorting the system in Marlborough are obvious with one owner having and controlling everything. That compared to here where the same type of facilities are owned by various different local bodies (and the port company is owned by two different ones) and in the case of the airport majority ownership in a publically listed company too - there are also, of course the two privately owned marinas as well here (Chaffers and Mana - both trusts I believe).

And Greater Wellington Council is made up of representatives from a number of different cities (if I get them all they are Upper Hutt, Hutt City, Wellington City, Porirua, Kapiti) so even the control the greater council has is moderated by multiple owners with differing desires. Whereas, I think so stand to be corrected, all of Marlborough IS the Marlborough District Council ie there are no other city or town councils within it that could express differing local needs with some sort of clout (just community boards within the District Council I am assuming).

The above probably not a lot of interest to many but did it here instead of a PM in case the differing ownership styles were of interest to some just as examples.

Sorry for the bit of drift Seafox but you capitalist marina berth owners can afford to let the rest of us cry on each others shoulders .
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote