Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 14:52   #16

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Quote:
Are your marina prices going up much each year?
2006 = $4000, 2007 = $5000, 2008 = $7200

Yep
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 14:59   #17

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Wow, where are you reefmagnet?

Our rentals have been increasing around 3 to 4% the last two years.

Over the last five years my berth price has gone from $50k to $95k. Apparently the latest sales are just under $90k.
Old 01-07-2008, 15:06   #18

Mackay, Qld. Thank the resources boom.
Old 01-07-2008, 15:40   #19

I googled the rental prices around that area a few months back and saw then it was double what we pay. Too many rich Aussies aye
Old 01-07-2008, 16:08   #20

Quote:
Too many rich Aussies
Yes, apparantly so. Wish I was one of 'em . My boat is 26 foot LOA . A 45 foot mono costs over 14 grand a year. The big tides and general topography around here mean that mooring locations are limited, so the marinas have a captive market. If you can manage to get hold of a mooring location the price is like $40 a year + whatever it costs to keep the mooring tackle maintained. Oh well, at least the sailing grounds are nice...
Old 01-07-2008, 20:20   #21

I think the prices for rent are going to go the same way in NZ. We are still relatively cheap. Would love to come over your way and cruise where you are sometime. Went to Hayman Island a couple of years ago and it looked superb for cruising.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:42   #22

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro
Hi Seafox,

Check out this link. This is where I am in Half Moon Bay in Auckland. It's shows both rentals and sales prices but please note that they don't allow liveaboards in this marina.

HALF MOON BAY marina

Cheers.
Kiwikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:53   #23

Just up the road at Gulf Harbour you can live on your boat.
http://gulf-harbour.co.nz/images/Ber...April%2007.pdf

Nice at Half moon bay. Used to park my trailer there when I had a trailer sailer. We drove there each summer from Wellington to do four weeks cruising in the Gulf.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:51   #24

41' $500 +10% hotel tax in PV Mexico, going up to $700 in Aug due to summer rates.

-Wantokex
Old 04-07-2008, 12:02   #25
cruiser

We have the same types of increases in the NE USA. I think in Jersey City, NJ it was $14K per year to rent a slip for our 45' Gulfstar. This is why we anchor out.

Also, lately I have found that marinas are charging not based on your LOA, but based on how long their dock is.

Yes, they charge either the length of your boat, or the length of the dock they stick you on, which ever is greater.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 19:04   #26

It seems berth rents and prices are going up faster than inflation throughout the world.

How is this going to affect the average cruiser? In NZ the average (even non baby boomers ) person can afford to buy an H28 and berth it somewhere. It is not just for the rich.

Is it like that in the USA or is the average man being forced out?
Old 04-07-2008, 20:15   #27

Seaview, Wellington.

Charges have just gone up again but rate of increase has not been astronomic (this year they halved the previously notified planned increase due to the good profitablity performance of the marina).

Lease holders (payable 6 monthly in advance or monthly in advance for slightly more dollars/annum) -
10m NZD2,950/annum
12m NZD3,650/annum
14m NZD4,300/annum
16m NZD4,900/annum
18m NZD6,150/annum
20m NZD7,250/annum

Casual -
10-12m NZD12/day
14-16m NZD18/day
18-20m NZD25/day

No charge for electricity or water and free security fenced long term car parking is provided for boat owners to use when away cruising. Showers and laundry small charge. Don't know if and what the liveaboard surcharge is.

Berths cannot be purchased.

Currently the owner is returning all profits to capital improvements, expansion of the marina and for building infrastructure for associated activities with one objective being to reduce the dependance on berth licences for revenue.

Some berth leaseholders complain but I suspect we have it pretty good .
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 21:13   #28

Location: Tropical east coast of Australia, near Whitsunday Islands.
Boat: Roberts 40 Waverunner, "Kangala"
Hi Reefmagnet & all,
A 60' mono berth at Mackay Marina is now $7000 per half year, power and secure car park included. On the other hand, I have a private swing mooring just outside the Abel Point Marina at Airlie Beach that costs $37.20 a year paid to Qld Transport, plus about $400 for maintenance, just not so convenient. In theory it's for my own use only - not for rental. Definitely an expensive boating area. Current diesel fuel price is $1.87/litre, extra 8 cents for boats not registered in Queensland.
bananabender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 21:23   #29

Our diesel is the same price here at the moment. $1.86/litre.

They are not bad prices Midlandone. 12m in Auck are now $480pm. Alan says that the published rates in Sounds are a lot less than what is being paid. Apparently some of the leases are being tendered due to under supply.

I would have thought that the LHCC wouldn't care about the berth holders and crank the rents to whatever the market would pay. They should be acting for their ratepayers and trying to turn as large a profit as they can.
Old 04-07-2008, 21:27   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
My 45ft birth is $496/month
Additional $80/month for live aboard
Additional $80/month for a concrete jetty.
About to increase in Oct and some rumours and I STRESS Rumours are that prices could take a dramatic increase of up to $2000 increase on some births.
We are the most expensive in NZ.
Sadly an Ozy visitor left our little marina and went to anther town. He was being charged $30/night in Havelock and is now in Nelson where he is charged $15/night. He is wintering over and could have been spending much needed money in a little town. Now he is in a city where his money won't be noticed so much.
Hey Alan, you are the most expensive in the South Island but have a look what Aucklanders are paying now. $480 per 30 days for a 12m!