Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2003, 20:47   #1

Mari-Cha IV

She's rockin & rollin, fokes ...

http://www.mari-cha4.com

Troubledour
Troubledour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 04:38   #2

Be interesting to follow this craft.

Somehow I get thoughts of Ticonderoga and Windward Passage. Anyone here remember them ?
29cascadefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 14:57   #3

Just an Update

Mari-Cha IV has run an historic, first ever 500 nm day under sail & extended her record to 525 nm.

Recent Position Report Lat. 53 00.28° North, Lon. 21 32.92° West - 2290 Nautical Miles & 124 hrs into Her Transatlantic Record Attempt.

Current Overall Average Speed 18.46kts & sprinting to 30kts +

With 635 nm & little more than a day to go she's running hard & will best the existing record of 212:55:35 by at least 2 Days. (I figger about 53 hrs at her current speed).

==============================================

29cascadefixer

Yes, those are both beautiful yachts & impressive performers. Cranky old romantic that I am, I'm partial to the NYYC series of the early 1900's ... the NY 30's, NY 40's, NY 50's, etc. (Herreshoff, N.G, was a GOD) The J-Class Yachts, of course, were the epitome of that era. In this day & age it's just a bizarre notion that one would commission a racing yacht with careful admonitions to not spare the teak or leaded & beveled glass.

Even so, I am immensely impressed with Mari-Cha IV. She’s performing flawlessly. Whoever even conceived of a sailing vessel that could potentially outrun a modern nuclear powered aircraft carrier, or roughly half of the “speed” boats I’ve ever owned. Her current run across the pond is a remarkable feat of engineering & seamanship, I am well & truly impressed.

Troubledour
Old 07-10-2003, 16:02   #4

Talking Good Heavens ,Thanks

for the memories.Oh, oops, excuse me. I was recalled to a Herroschoff design my friend owned. An H28. There was a narrow bulkhead below that had a stained glass window in it. The bulkhead was between the companionway and the saloon area as I recall. This one small thing seemed to an remind me of an era of class and gentliity. That a thousandth of a knot was not at the expense of being in a area of good taste. Hmmm- !Maybe that is what draws people to Herroschoff designs.
29cascadefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2003, 04:02   #5

She's Done It, Fokes

Mari Cha IV - 161:52:39 - 18.07kts average speed - FINAL !

(that last 20 nm or so were evidently a 13.4 knot, brass balled beeotch, an hr & 22 minutes to cover 18.35 nm).

Troubledour