Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 10:56   #361
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Man Washes up in Marshall Islands 'After 16 Months Adrift'

It was a conspiracy by the local community in Mexxico to get a book and movie deal $$$$

I just read that in THE SUN
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:09   #362
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Mako and Thresher are fantastic!

They do have a unique telltale flavor, but not one that's offensive in the slightest... No special goofy bleach/brine/milk stuff... Never heard of it...

I've probably eaten or prepped at least 1,000 lbs...
Did you cut off the head and tail and let it bleed out or just throw it in a cooler with other fish and clean it when you got around to it? Were they small(I have eaten small dogfish but I bleed it out as soon as I caught it ,was ok)..Sharks do not "poopy"(ever seen any "shark ****"?) so if you leave the blood in it after you catch it,it will turn into ammonia due to the Urea ,very nasty stuff as I stated earlier,I couldnt eat even if I held my nose!! I have heard of folks getting busted for selling shark meat for Swordfish...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:16   #363

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

The friend becomes food line has been crossed before in these extreme survival situations.

It was extremely hard for Jose Salvador Alvarenga to talk about his younger friend Ezequiel Cordoba, 24.

If he did resort to eating his younger friend Ezequiel to survive, then I am sure it was extremely painful to do at the time and even more painful to explain to the world that he had no choice in that situation.

Maybe he just threw Ezequiel over the side after he died or gained some much needed nourishment before he threw him over the side. Alvarenga may never tell the real story about Ezequiel.

Who could blame Alvarenga for not telling the brutal details as we would surly chastise him for doing that to Ezequiel.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:35   #364
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Did you cut off the head and tail and let it bleed out or just throw it in a cooler with other fish and clean it when you got around to it? Were they small(I have eaten small dogfish but I bleed it out as soon as I caught it ,was ok)..Sharks do not "poopy"(ever seen any "shark ****"?) so if you leave the blood in it after you catch it,it will turn into ammonia due to the Urea ,very nasty stuff as I stated earlier,I couldnt eat even if I held my nose!! I have heard of folks getting busted for selling shark meat for Swordfish...
You have obviously never been in Trini yet. This is it: a Stag and a Shark 'n Bake:
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:41   #365

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I would have eaten him and anything else that looked like a ham sandwich after months on the open ocean..I would make a fine young cannibel..Now I will quote my favorite actor,Uncle George from our Gang"yum yum eatum up"...
Tropics. Fish and other sealife is their normal fare. Young fella couldn't handle the 13 months. Dead meat goes smelly very quickly so over the side he goes. A logical, respectful and acceptable thing to do.(He didn't have an anchor locker to put him in and why would he anyway? )

Offered fish or goat a fish eater will choose fish.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:47   #366

Boat: Skookum 53'

In a survival situation you always want to follow the fat guy, if it is available in any shape or form we will find something to eat, however if it takes too long to get rescued, you might end up in a sandwich, I have several good long pig recipes. Alaskan natives systems convert blubber from the whales, seals. and other furry critters into vitamin C, no scurvy there, and 8 to 9 months no green stuff to eat. Shark is good eating if handled right, if handled wrong it will knock a maggot off a gut wagon.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:59   #367
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
In a survival situation you always want to follow the fat guy, if it is available in any shape or form we will find something to eat, however if it takes too long to get rescued, you might end up in a sandwich, I have several good long pig recipes. Alaskan natives systems convert blubber from the whales, seals. and other furry critters into vitamin C, no scurvy there, and 8 to 9 months no green stuff to eat. Shark is good eating if handled right, if handled wrong it will knock a maggot off a gut wagon.
Just got educated about eating shark meat..site said that only about 1/3 of shark species should be eaten..No large ones (910lb Sandbar tiger sharks for example)..FDA says dont eat it more than twice a month,lots of mercurey..Mako is best for eating along with small Hammerheads so say the powers that be..Is it any wonder the chinese only eat the fins...Sharks do not pee like we,they exert waste through their skin,therefore if you dont get all the blood out you will have a strong smell of ammonia,not good.. Small ones tend to be viable food source,less ammonia...
Old 07-02-2014, 13:12   #368
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

cannibal jokes are really in poor taste (and I'm not playing on words they are just wrong), this is true possibly and there are many survival examples of it happening, but it isn't a joke!
Old 07-02-2014, 13:55   #369

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
cannibal jokes are really in poor taste (and I'm not playing on words they are just wrong), this is true possibly and there are many survival examples of it happening, but it isn't a joke!

Maybe not while you're eating.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 14:05   #370
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Mark.....Lucky he did not catch that strong SW current and wash up in Queensland only to be pushed off again... Talk about irony

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 14:30   #371

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparau

You are thinking like someone who hasn't been through that kind of trauma.

There is also a good idea of innocent until proven guilty, or better yet don't cast aspersions on someone in such a situation.
I wasn't suggesting he did I was responding to the post that he should be interrogated. Since I must spell it out for you my point was there is no point in interrogating him.
Old 07-02-2014, 15:00   #372
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Only at a Vegan convention...
Old 07-02-2014, 16:04   #373
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Mark.....Lucky he did not catch that strong SW current and wash up in Queensland only to be pushed off again... Talk about irony

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We are bit more advanced here now, we would stick him a nice orange lifeboat and tow him back to Mexico
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 16:24   #374
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
We are bit more advanced here now, we would stick him a nice orange lifeboat and tow him back to Mexico
For those who don't get the reference:

Asylum seekers towed back in lifeboat: New video emerges as Defence Minister criticises ABC - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 16:46   #375

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Very effective and they can't be accused of turning back an unseaworthy vessel.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Marshall Islands