Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2016, 22:21   #31

Boat: Herman Boro 50Ft
Re: Man Overboard Pole And Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadreams View Post
You do all have a strobe fitted onto your PFD, right? And test it regularly, maybe each day before dark?

https://www.amazon.com/UST-Marine-Se...WBNPE8459EJQCZ

Although after seeing this, looks like it's time for an upgrade
MOB1 - Ocean Signal
Yes i do but more lights in the water the better, but the MoB 1 looks the way to go once i put in a Vesper Vision AIS
rosco4271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 01:20   #32

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

An MOB situation is obviously serious, one for which getting quality training in dealing with it is invaluable. Both in terms of how to locate & pick up an MOB, & what to do when you are one: In order to maximize your chances of rescue, & to boost your longevity while in the water.

I’ve had, & conducted extensive training on both. Professionally. And having had it, can’t imagine not. As until you do, you don’t realize it’s value, the dangers inherent to MOB situations/water ops, & what to do/not do during them. For example, the pool training as mentioned by Ann T. Cate. Including how tough such drills are for some, or rather many-most. Even in controlled situations in a swimming pool. Which begins to open up a lot of insight into what goes on (or doesn’t) inside of people’s heads in such situations.

An MOB pole with the following is crucial; flag, SOLAS reflectors (on flag, & the pole, etc.), horseshoe, strobe (preferably elevated), drogue, cylume light sticks, & a signal mirror or laser pointer. You need to be able to have the whole kit reliably self launch with the pull of a lanyard. Either that, or have an MOM with the equivalent accessory kit in with it.
Brackets purpose designed for holding this gear, & launching it thusly, used to be commonly available. Though I don’t much see them anymore since the creation of MOM’s, sadly. But they’re not too tough to build.

I’ve had an inflatable belt pack life jacket since ’92, with most of the above is tucked into it. Specifically; a signal mirror, cylume light sticks, knife, & whistle. Plus there’s SOLAS tape all over it. And I’ve always got a flashlight, & 2nd knife with me, 24/7. Also there’s a strobe, & laser flare/pointer on my safety harness, additionally. Per training going back many decades.

PS: Lifeslings are more than worth the coin. But be sure to routinely check the strength of the line(s) in them, & replace it regularly. As polypro is fairly vampire like when it comes to UV.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 10:02   #33

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Not generalizing and not textbook. I've actually been in the situation before, conducted a successful singlehanded rescue, and my wife has demonstrated many times (twice annually), that she can do the same.

Just because YOU can't do something, doesn't mean other folks can't do the same task.

So what would you do in a MOB situation? Instead of critizing a successful method, why not offer up some useful advice.

I'm waiting...
Keep waiting -- you're picking a fight and I don't want to respond further to you on this, because with your attitude you'll just look for points to argue. I've seen lots of internet know-it all's on these boards, and I'm not going down in that hole with you. Turning up my squelch setting now. Can't hear you.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 13:07   #34

Now that I bought and installed some polypro rope I am realizing that maybe some dyneema would have been better. Nicer feel in the hands, much better UV resistence, and of course floats.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 17:54   #35

I finally opened up my lifesling this weekend to inspect it. It was immediately obvious that there is no way the polypropylene line will deploy in any way other than a giant knot. Do you think dyneema would coil and store better?
DLincoln3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 21:38   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLincoln3 View Post
I finally opened up my lifesling this weekend to inspect it. It was immediately obvious that there is no way the polypropylene line will deploy in any way other than a giant knot. Do you think dyneema would coil and store better?
There's no need to make any changes, besides.... you need line that floats otherwise it'll get caught in your prop. To set up your lifesling, first let out all the line, then stuff it back into the bag or container like you'd do with anchor rode... DON'T COIL IT. When you deploy the lifesling, just drop the float overboard, then let the line play out on it's own... DON'T TRY TO THROW IT.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 00:15   #37

One of the reasons that Lifeslings come with yellow polypro line is it's bright color, for visibility. In addition to the fact that it floats. So by that logic if you're going to replace the line with something else, you'd want to pick something with similar characteristics such as Samson's MFP Float Line, or Ultra Lite.

NOTE: This is purely a theory on my part, & it would be wise to check first. That said, it sure would be nice to use such a line for it's superior UV resistance too.

Also, Kenomac is correct on the part about not coiling the line attached to them, for the stated reason.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 24-01-2017, 00:39   #38

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Polyprop has a bit of stretch in it which will mitigate shock loads. Dyneema ropes have very little stretch.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 01:23   #39

Boat: Lagoon 450

Even for a short trip around the harbour I wear a lifejacket, and this is on a Lagoon 450. 5 minutes in the water fully clothed and no lifejacket and most will start to go under. Try it in a wave pool and you will agree.

Off the coast all my crew wear an AIS beacon. All beacons have their own strobe. Crazy not to as when it is set off, day or night, we should be able to drive straight to the person using the chart plotter.
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 01:31   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Polyprop has a bit of stretch in it which will mitigate shock loads. Dyneema ropes have very little stretch.
Shock loads from what exactly? We're talking about picking up an MOB, using an enhance waterski tow rig. Not debating the use of a Vectran anchor rode in a named storm (hurricane). And even when waterskiing there's a huge amount of catenary in the line that absorbs the load, ditto on the produced drag, from the boat & the skier smoothing out the bumps.
Common sense check

Old 24-01-2017, 02:16   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Shock loads from what exactly? We're talking about picking up an MOB, using an enhance waterski tow rig. Not debating the use of a Vectran anchor rode in a named storm (hurricane). And even when waterskiing there's a huge amount of catenary in the line that absorbs the load, ditto on the produced drag, from the boat & the skier smoothing out the bumps.
Common sense check
Never mind the cost.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 11:42   #42

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Common sense check
Waves and boat roll.

The line is fairly short and light weight so a dyneema line would be like having a thin wire attached to you while being hauled in - no give at all.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 15:07   #43

Boat: Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The MOB fully clothed or even partially clothed will be of little to no help in swimming to anything thrown overboard. They will actually (contrary to popular belief) be stuggling just to keep their coconut sized head just above the surface. Think about the scenario, you're trying to keep an eye on a floating coconut from 100-200 yards away in a wavy sea, while the coconut tries to stay afloat kicking with water-filled shoes, water soaked pants, a jacket and shirt which now weigh about thirty pounds.

The person overboard will be of no help, they'll never reach the stuff that gets chucked overboard before the stuff drifts away from them. This is what it's like in real life.... which is different from Hollyweird.

The fellow who reached the liferaft was lucky, and almost certainly wearing a life vest.
I would like to start a thread and pitch this idea. I am not after money it would be nice if financial gain was realized but I feel I have an idea that could save a life so it is more important to spread the idea than profit. My idea is to have a helium cartridge along with your self inflatable life jacket. The Helium would inflate a significantly durable balloon teathered to the life jacket the crew overboard has on. The teather would also be a vhf antenna to increase the range of your hand held vhf. I realize it will not help when the wind is at 30 knots gusting 50knots. How about this Idea? Hard to spot a coconut in waves of 1-2 foot on a nice day. What about that drift diver in 2ft swell instead of a safety sausage three ft off the surface he can put up a balloon. I welcome your feed back please pay this idea forward let's save a life, Lou
Lou254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 09:38   #44

Boat: Catalina 22

Ok this is going over like a lead balloon. I can not even get a degrading reply. ??? No one should ever go overboard because it's on hand for the boat and one for work. If you slip the teather will hold you. Anyone worth his salt would have inspected the jackline. Anyone want to say anything about a balloon for a spotting the man. Is it to much like a 007 film ? Kind Regards Lou
Lou254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 10:20   #45

I personally think it's a great idea. For what my opinion is worth.
DLincoln3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overboard