Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-01-2016, 06:33   #106

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41
Re: Man and dog found dead on yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Then as youve been there, pls forgive me Salty.
Personally this matter is a battle for me, last 40 years so I take things personally.
Salty, you said you "pray". imho a person who prays is a good person.
Forgiveness in front of the mob, please?
Brian.
Nothing to forgive Brian I take no offense. It is a battle lots of folks have to deal with for a verity of reasons we just have to remember there is an alternative.

Yes prayer and counseling with friends over a cold beverage around a campfire is good for the soul.

Maybe someday after my wife and I find our boat you and I will meet and forgiveness will be given both ways over a cold drink on a warm beach.

Old 11-01-2016, 13:32   #107

Many ways for life to end. If the ship's log doesn't say or a suicide note not found we might never know what caused this man's death. I just know that people do these things when they are severely depressed or can no longer handle intractable pain.

He lived a long life by olden day standards. I can understand his slaying of the dog if he planned to take his own life. Still do not understand mainsail disarray and then going down below to kill yourself and dog. It just doesn't add up correctly for way I am wired logically. RIP is all I can think

Old 11-01-2016, 13:56   #108
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post
Nothing to forgive Brian I take no offense. It is a battle lots of folks have to deal with for a verity of reasons we just have to remember there is an alternative.

Yes prayer and counseling with friends over a cold beverage around a campfire is good for the soul.

Maybe someday after my wife and I find our boat you and I will meet and forgiveness will be given both ways over a cold drink on a warm beach.
Can't wait Brother
Old 11-01-2016, 14:08   #109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Many ways for life to end. If the ship's log doesn't say or a suicide note not found we might never know what caused this man's death. I just know that people do these things when they are severely depressed or can no longer handle intractable pain.

He lived a long life by olden day standards. I can understand his slaying of the dog if he planned to take his own life. Still do not understand mainsail disarray and then going down below to kill yourself and dog. It just doesn't add up correctly for way I am wired logically. RIP is all I can think
Exactly Alan.
And the good thing is that this good persons multiple pains are gone.
And I like to think that wherever he is now he isn't bieng punished for having taken his life. I can well imagine him agonising, possibly for years, over taking the saddest step a human can take, knowing that he would leave others with insufferable pain.
Surely he IS resting in peace now.
Old 11-01-2016, 14:12   #110
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Salty, forgot.....It takes a very big person to pubicly forgive someone who has given them a good (bad) bollocking.
Really grateful Mate (like I was/am to Kmac).
Old 11-01-2016, 14:19   #111

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sorry for my lack of comprehension, but do we know this wasn't murder? Perhaps I am too trusting of how the article was written, but it said the man was shot in the face. When you take your life by swallowing the barrel of the shotgun, do you not blow off the back of your head?

The article suggested that cause of death would be determined by autopsy following identification of the body by a relative, which makes it sound to me as if there might be some doubt as to whether the wound was self-inflicted. Also, strange to me that they reported 4 other shotguns aboard besides the one found under the guy.

What a very sad situation.

Ann
Old 11-01-2016, 14:41   #112
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ann,
You used the only relevant word here. Peculiar.
Everything about this reportage and incident is most peculiar, with no context, evidence, or suggestions as to why any of it took place, much less how it did.

Suicide is perfectly ordinary, expected, and acceptable in many societies for many reasons. 'Assisted Suicide' is even medically and legally sanctioned in places ranging from the Netherlands to Seattle, it is not exclusive to Kyoto.

So right now, all we know is that someone and his dog are dead, found at sea in peculiar circumstances. Absent further facts, which apparently under Guyanese law will not be forthcoming until and unless a relative makes the trip out to Guyana to identify the body and sanction an autopsy, we can only say there were probably two deaths at sea.

No news there, not yet for sure.
Old 11-01-2016, 14:53   #113
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Sorry for my lack of comprehension, but do we know this wasn't murder? Perhaps I am too trusting of how the article was written, but it said the man was shot in the face. When you take your life by swallowing the barrel of the shotgun, do you not blow off the back of your head?

The article suggested that cause of death would be determined by autopsy following identification of the body by a relative, which makes it sound to me as if there might be some doubt as to whether the wound was self-inflicted. Also, strange to me that they reported 4 other shotguns aboard besides the one found under the guy.

What a very sad situation.

Ann
Probably you've never been in this mans position Ann.
I was once tackled by another man with my M16 in my mouth, black night, jungle. In the struggle I could easily have shot through the eye or anywhere else. Do you know if a big sea was running at the time...the bodies were found decomposed...
And your imagined murderer shot the witnessing dog.
Sorry Ann bit I think that your suggestion was borderline ghoulish and I wish I hadn't read it.
Like I wish to God I hadn't HAD to write this.
And I'm sorry Ann but.......
Cheers Laura.
Old 11-01-2016, 14:57   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Sorry for my lack of comprehension, but do we know this wasn't murder? Perhaps I am too trusting of how the article was written, but it said the man was shot in the face. When you take your life by swallowing the barrel of the shotgun, do you not blow off the back of your head?...
Ann
It could be murder, but if it was, it would seem obvious to take the murder weapon, or better yet, drop it overboard.

People do kill them selves with rifles and shotguns. It is not pretty and I would guess that whoever told the reporter what had happened glossed over some of the more horrible details. If he had committed suicide, it is likely obvious from his body posture and he might have left a note.

I know someone who committed suicide after shooting his dog. The dog had been diagnosed with cancer and then the owner was given a very bad health diagnosis for himself. Dog and owner did not have long to live and death would have been painful for the owner and maybe the dog. The man shot the dog and then killed himself.

Later,
Dan
Old 11-01-2016, 15:09   #115
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ann-
We don't know. But it comes back to the word "peculiar". It would be most peculiar for a solo sailor to carry four or five shotguns on his own. (Without even guessing if they were single barrel, double, semi-automatic, or "combat" style with twelve round magazine drums.)
One loaded with snake shot, one with bird shot, a third with slugs for a shark gun...OK, three single barreled shotguns, that's pushing the limits of peculiar. Five, what, double-barrels so he can keep shooting while the dog reloads (hey, no thumbs, it slows things down) and he keeps shooting off pirates?

No, four or five shotguns is damned peculiar. Perhaps not for a drug runner but for everyone else.

And, leaving behind a murder weapon, let alone FOUR potentially traceable and useful weapons, when they would be so easily tossed overboard...indicates the participation of fools, or of no one else. A murderer could have just as easily put a couple of shotgun rounds in the hull and sunk it, unless they're trying to send a lesson to all dogs "Don't go sailing alone with Frenchmen without our permission."

The position of the sail indicates "interruption", but of what by what, we don't know either.

So it comes back to "peculiar" and probably will devolve into "mundane and ordinary" wherever that may cross the tragedy scale. Or not.

Hey, it rained this week. Does that mean a butterfly flapped it's wings in Mexico? Wait patiently, we might never find out.
Old 11-01-2016, 15:18   #116

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post

From that picture, 'how'? was the mainsail in 'disarray'?
Old 11-01-2016, 15:23   #117

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

OH come on guys your seriously speculating on murder now

And four guns on a solo boat is unusual really? Read through some of the gun threads and then come back and say it's unusual.
Old 11-01-2016, 15:36   #118
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Murder? Too many novel readers here.
Apart from Robinson Carusoe etc as a kid, only read one novel, Peyton Place...probably 40 years ago.
Personally I prefer historical fact.
For me there's enough joy, tradedy, intrigue, grief etc to life without readind a wealthy novellists imaginings.
Yep, to each their own.
Question.
Did this poor man recently find out that whilst at sea his only daughter, his ONLY love, apart from his pooch, passed away unexpectedly??
Pay this man some respect please. The coffin isn't even in the groud yet. !!!
Old 11-01-2016, 15:39   #119
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Seriously. This happened so close to the holiday season too. Let leave this alone please.
Old 21-12-2016, 12:09   #120

Boat: shopping

For all who are saying that the gun being left on board is what rules out a potential assault, the gun not being on board would definitely indicate that it was another party that committed murder. Dead men don't throw the gun over board. The gun being on board leaves open the doubt. No matter what it looks like this is still all speculation.

Tags
yacht

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: