Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2016, 17:03   #46

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.
Re: Man and dog found dead on yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
The dog had a passport?
Leave it to the French to give a dog a passport!
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 17:05   #47

Wonder if the passport has a picture and a paw print?
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 17:25   #48
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Carib-
"Having been one in much earlier stage of my life, I can confidently tell you that journalists do not report facts. They report what people say,"
Are you sure you aren't confusing true journalists with Jerry Rivers? A true journalist makes every attempt to verify and validate what he has been told, and will say "according to the alleged victim" in order to specify that they are presenting something less. A true journalist also cannot operate in a vacuum, the publication they are working for will have a copy editor, a proof reader, and a fact checker, along with others to make sure the story reads properly and has been done in a responsible manner.

Of course, that kind of journalism largely died in the early 1970's, to be replaced by Entertainment Nooze. Most of the pretty faces chosen to be "journalists" today wouldn't know how to write pyramid copy, much less why that had nothing to do with Egypt.

Or to be more accurate, the "alleged journalists" that report Nooze these days.

Walter Cronkite was once asked if it was a conflict of interest to take a junket, etc. from someone that was being interviewed. He said it certainly could be--but it wouldn't change the way HE would write a story.

RIP, Walt. (He was a lifelong sailor, too.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 18:22   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svGenesis View Post
Leave it to the French to give a dog a passport!
in Europe if you want to travel with your animals they need to be micro chipped and have valid rabies and other vaccinations.

all this is recorded in the pets "passport".

no photo nessacary as the micro chip in the animals left fore limb carrys its id number to match its passport id/ chip number

the chip is scanned before entering countries where quarantine restrictions apply eg united kingdom
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 20:04   #50

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Exactly...a bunch of Sherlock Holmes here. All I get out of the typical poorly written story is that somehow the freighter is assuming the 2 were dead since he never boarded. I guess now it is confirmed the 2 were in fact dead.
But really folks...how about some compassion. Its a fellow sailor that has met with tragedy. The poor animal must have been distressed over its master and futher dying of thirst. Dogs overheat quickly without water. Hopefully both left this world doing what they love. My heart goes out to their loved ones.
What gave you the impression there was no compassion for the sailor or his dog? Why should we apologise for discussing this or bow to your particular views on it? Do we have to tiptoe away in respectful silence whenever a fatality or similar occurs at sea and avoid any discussion as to what may have occurred? Should we ask your permission before any discussion, O censor/arbiter?
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 20:13   #51

Quote:
You being one of them
I see you missed my point.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 09-01-2016, 20:21   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Gee, two pages of speculation.

The only facts known are that a man was found 'inside' the vessel. Which means it had to have been entered initially to have discovered this.

The language of the story is indicating the dog was dead as well, though this could be just poor grammar.

It's a well kept boat.

Nothing else is known at this time. You can't speculate on the main sail as it looks like any other main sail that a person has been sailing with. You can't speculate on the tender being right side up. Many people, including me, store their dingy right side up. You can't speculate on marks on the hull, as many boats have marks on a hull.

I'd 'speculate' something other than carbon monoxide poisoning, which I don't believe can happen without you knowing it with a diesel. Given the dog as well as the man died, I'd speculate an LPG leak.
Lambasts others for "speculation" and analysis then engages in speculation and analysis, laying out the rules for what we can and can't speculate about in the process. Where do we apply for a license for the privilege? How do we get to officer level?
Old 09-01-2016, 20:40   #53

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Lol speculation license. Apply here...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 21:06   #54

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Wonder if the passport has a picture and a paw print?
My cat has one too - she flew from Syria to the Netherlands in 2012 and had a blue passport -with a pic even, yes indeed - with her to proof she was vaccinated, chipped etc.

(Not that the Dutch vet found the Arabian text very readable, but stickers for vaccinations etc. were in English and without it, she wouldn't have been allowed into the Netherlands.
She being the cat, not the vet ).
Old 09-01-2016, 21:06   #55
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
in Europe if you want to travel with your animals they need to be micro chipped and have valid rabies and other vaccinations.

all this is recorded in the pets "passport".
I never had to get a passport and I've never been anyones pet. Then again, I am a monkey, not a silly dog.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 22:21   #56

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

And a bloody ugly monkey at that.
BAD MONKEY!!
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 22:21   #57

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
What gave you the impression there was no compassion for the sailor or his dog? Why should we apologise for discussing this or bow to your particular views on it? Do we have to tiptoe away in respectful silence whenever a fatality or similar occurs at sea and avoid any discussion as to what may have occurred? Should we ask your permission before any discussion, O censor/arbiter?
Well Sherlock...the following statements did...

Quote:
Really? Given that they were spotted from a tanker, I can only assume they were visible in the cockpit or similar. My first thought was a vitamin overdose… vitamin Pb that is. Taken subcutaneously.
Quote:
It is not immediately clear whether the photo is of the yacht taken from the tanker which reported the bodies. I seriously doubt anyone from the reporting tanker went aboard so the bodies were likely visible from the deck/bridge of the tanker. If the photo is of the yacht in its found state, there are some salient facts: a D400 wind generator, solar panels and other similar indicates a well set up cruising boat. Outboard on the rail under cover and other features which suggest the trip begal calmly. No headsail apparent on headstay furling gear. Mainsail in disarray and apparently dumped in a hurry but not flaked. No particular sign of damage to main otherwise. Main hard sheeted in a configuration which suggests boat was motorsailing at or shortly before time of death. Odd marks on port side deck by the mast which could be an artefact, could be rust (but boat appears in generally good condition and no obvious reason for that much rust on this vessel) or could be something else. Blood? Was the skipper by the mast in the act of dropping the sails when something caused a major injury, forcing him to abandon the sail and perhaps collapse in the cockpit? If an accident dog could have died subsequently (and fairly quickly) from lack of water. If not, dog could have died much sooner still…
Quote:
The article makes it clear that the recovery operation had not yet retrieved body or vessel, and a flyover of the boat confirmed the report of the bodies, which came from the tanker… or so it seems to me.
Quote:
Well, the title for a start. Could be bad syntax I suppose…
Quote:
Yeps. Heart attack in the act of flaking the main, causing collapse into the stays, head injury with unconscious bleeding there, followed by brief recovery and final collapse in the cockpit, occasioning death of dog by dehydration?
Quote:
Seems like the speculation/analysis police have arrived on the thread.
Quote:
I see you missed my point.

"Should we ask your permission before any discussion, O censor/arbiter?"

Thanks for your little passive/aggressive final statement but you do not need my permission. Post what you want if that's how you want to be seen here.
There was another thread a few years back of a Schooner that was missing. A family member started the thread I think, reaching out to out CF community for help. About 50% went on the rant that they were dead and give it up. While the other 50% actually actually used satellite imaging to help.
More recent was the thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-158283.html , where a lot of people were doubting him to the point the Mods had to remove some of the posts.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 22:25   #58

Quote:
Well Sherlock...the following statements did...

"Should we ask your permission before any discussion, O censor/arbiter?"

Thanks for your little passive/aggressive final statement but you do not need my permission. Post what you want if that's how you want to be seen here.
There was another thread a few years back of a Schooner that was missing. A family member started the thread I think, reaching out to out CF community for help. About 50% went on the rant that they were dead and give it up. While the other 50% actually actually used satellite imaging to help.
More recent was the thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-158283.html , where a lot of people were doubting him to the point the Mods had to remove some of the posts.
As to passive aggressive, right back at you. As to your attempts at equivalence with the threads you referenced, there is none. And nothing I stated indicated a lack of compassion for the individual or his dog. Your laborious reposting of them in a 4 page thread is frankly just weird. Don't you want to just repost the posts I was interacting with as well? Why not the entire first 2 pages?

Of course I have every sympathy with his family and feel very sad that this has occurred to a fellow sailor.
Old 09-01-2016, 22:27   #59

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

CELESTIAL....DUMMY! .. leave the man alone...eventually he HAS to fall asleep. Hasn'/wont he ?? surely ..
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 22:40   #60

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

My heart goes out to his family.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht