Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2015, 07:00   #1

maintenance by charter companies

Hi all,

I’m considering to get into a charter ownership program in Thailand or Malaysia (cf. thread “to buy or to wait…”).

One of the big issues with ownership programs is that there is not really a guaranty about how the boat will be used (or abused) and maintained during the 5 years contract. This means it may have more than usual wear and tear, and potentially some neglected maintenance. After all, not all users will be experienced sailors and the charter companies only concern might be (?) to get the boat out as much as possible without spending the time and money necessary for a good maintenance.
And what about hull and rudder damage when the boat was grounded, or backed into a reef? Is the boat inspected for damage carefully after each chart above and under water?

This is a key-factor for me, so I really would love to learn as much as possible from people with practical experience and knowledge on this.

Thanks!
jatich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 07:13   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: maintenance by charter companies

Unless u are dealing with TUI (moorings and Sunsail) I don't see how you can be assured. Especially in the 2 countries you suggest.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 08:14   #3

Thanks Mark,
so Tui does talk good care of the fleet and is reliable.
what about dream yacht charters?
jatich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 08:42   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

In my experience Moorings is more concientious than most, but your boat is still rental equipment. It will likely see far more use than a typical non-cruising recreational boat, thus more wear and tear, and there will still be pragmatic maintenance decisions which favor charter revenue versus proper maintenance. That's just the nature of the business.

Also, a LOT depends on the base manager. Ive known several Moorings base managers and all were very good. Ive known base managers for other companies that ranged from excellent to totally incompetent. Get to know the base manager where you base your boat, that personal relationship can make a big difference.

For example, Ive had boats in charter with companies where I also worked part-time as a captain/instructor. That made a huge difference, they knew me and knew I would be around often...quite often working aboard my own boat. I know my boats got better maintenance as a result, but negative things still happened.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, maintenance