Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2014, 21:14   #1

Boat: O'Day 302
Mainsail of 2 different cloth weights...

I've been looking at used main sails lately and came across one from a roller furling main setup. It's 3.5 oz cloth for the majority of the sail but the leech is 6 oz. any one have experience with this dual cloth weight setup? Is it durable?

I would also need to convert it from roller furling to track slides... Easy enough to press in grommets to which I could attaché the slides I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 04:37   #2

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Re: Mainsail of 2 different cloth weights...

I thought about having my new ‘tweenmast staysail made in two different weights, but was advised against it by more than one sailmaker. Something about the different stretch properties and rolling characteristics. I had it made in the conventional method.
Old 24-10-2014, 05:20   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Mainsail of 2 different cloth weights...

Different weight cloth is common enough in mainsails. The heavier weight is used where the forces are greater. Different stretch usually isn't an issue because the sail is designed so that the relative forces are the same for each.

Converting a roller furled main into a standard main isn't a good deal. The RF main will be cut very flat, not have battens or a good shape. You will also need to modify/reinforce the luff in addition to attaching slides. You would be spending money for the main and the conversion and have a poorly shaped sail for your boat.

Better to keep looking for a main designed for the type of mounting/rigging you have.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mainsail, sail