Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2003, 07:39   #1
jim

Boat: Manta,38- Xanadu
Mail Forwarding services

Anyone have any recommendations for any of the mail fordwarding services. I also notice one of them will help with relocating your residence to Florida. What are the pro's and con's?
We will be moving aboard around first of July and start cruising soon after.

fair winds
jim
s/v xanadu
jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 09:33   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
We have been using NATO in Sarasota Florida for many years and they are wonderful. Have been at it since the 1950s. Many of our cruising friends also use them.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 20:31   #3

Boat: 2005 Hylas 54
Re: Mail Forwarding services

We use StBrendans isle in Florida. Great service. And they helped us establish residency and get drivers licenses.
Tday01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:43   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I have used St. Brendan's Isle in the past and they were great. Lots of CFers have them as an address. One big pro for you coming from South Carolina is there is no property tax on boats in Florida--saves a bundle over SC. However, things like car registration are more expensive. Also, no income tax in Florida. Be careful to move everything to your new Florida address so the state you are moving from doesn't still claim you as a resident--SC did that for me years after I left. In fact, they even claimed I owed back property taxes and were going to auction off my boat if I didn't pay up, years after the boat had left SC. Took a lot of arguing and paperwork to get it cleared up, so keep records of everything.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:47   #5

St Brendans is the standard; we've been quite happy with them.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:20   #6
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
St Brendans is the standard; we've been quite happy with them.

So for those that went the St Brendan's route and also used this to change state residency did this mean you needed to register your boat in FL.?
Old 07-04-2013, 08:28   #7

Quote:
did this mean you needed to register your boat in FL.?
Only if you keep or use your boat in Florida.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:40   #8

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

There have been lots of posts on St Brendan's Isle and mail forwarding... Check these links out:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st+brendan%27s

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post

So for those that went the St Brendan's route and also used this to change state residency did this mean you needed to register your boat in FL.?
Documented, so didn't need to deal with that. Changed our residence though, which is nice because working remote for a California company has me as a Florida resident, so no more state income tax.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:39   #10

Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Documented, so didn't need to deal with that. Changed our residence though, which is nice because working remote for a California company has me as a Florida resident, so no more state income tax.
Rebel

Not necessarily... You (and I) as a Florida resident will have to register your documented vessel with the State of Florida when it is brought into the state. A documented vessel is not required to display state registration numbers.

Also if you haven't paid sales tax on the boat in another state, you will have to pay Florida, which has a cap of $18k (Half of what I paid in California)

Old 08-04-2013, 05:05   #11

Quote:
Also if you haven't paid sales tax on the boat in another state, you will have to pay Florida, which has a cap of $18k (Half of what I paid in California)
Sales or use tax is not always due.

Quote:
Use tax is not due on boats brought to Florida if all of the following conditions are met:

The owner has owned the boat 6 months or longer.
The purchaser has shown no intent to use the boat in Florida at or before the time of purchase.
The boat has been used 6 months or longer within the taxing jurisdiction of another state, U.S. territory, or the District of Columbia. Time spent in foreign waters does not count as part of the 6-month period.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:43   #12

It requires all of those conditions to be met... This is were they get you:

The boat has been used 6 months or longer within the taxing jurisdiction of another state, U.S. territory, or the District of Columbia. Time spent in foreign waters does not count as part of the 6-month period.

That means in a majority of the States, use for 180 days would require you to pay pay sales tax in the other state.

Someone is going to get their pound of flesh.

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/2011/gt800005.pdf

Old 08-04-2013, 08:54   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Rebel

Not necessarily... You (and I) as a Florida resident will have to register your documented vessel with the State of Florida when it is brought into the state. A documented vessel is not required to display state registration numbers.

That's weird about needing to register a documented vessel; nothing like that in California. We paid sales tax (and property tax, every year) since we bought it in San Diego ~7 years ago. We're on the Pacific side of Mexico and are going into the South Pacific next year so I can happily put of caring too much about state level shenanigans.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:21   #14

Quote:
That's weird about needing to register a documented vessel; nothing like that in California. We paid sales tax (and property tax, every year) since we bought it in San Diego ~7 years ago. We're on the Pacific side of Mexico and are going into the South Pacific next year so I can happily put of caring too much about state level shenanigans.
A lot of states require documented vessels to also state register, but no state numbers on the bow required--just a sticker. Florida, and most states, would allow you credit for sales/use tax paid in another state. One thing is for certain, all 50 states have slightly different requirements and you need to be aware of the ones in the states where you travel or keep your boat.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:02   #15

Quote:
I look at it this way.... I was paying $3900 per year in Unsecured Property Tax to (Alameda County (California) annually, until I left in 2010. California basis this tax on 1% of the Vessels Assessed Value, plus any supplemental tax assessements, like libraries and 9-1-1.

Now that I am a Flroida Resident.... I will pay $160 per year in Vessel Registration Fees. When I finally get the boat to Florida next month.

That is a $3740 dollars in annual savings, which buys a lot of beer