Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 10:56   #1

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Made the Transition to a Long-Term Cruiser

We finally converted to long term cruisers/live aboards. We moved aboard in October to get ready to leave and after the completion of our cockpit enclosure we pulled away from the dock two weeks ago today. We have had a few issues, the cat (feline not boat) discovered you get an unexpected result if you don't know the difference between a dock and a reflection of a dock. She does swim well even if she's not happy about it. We left Morehead City on Thanksgiving and went directly to Cumberland Island in GA. It's really a beautiful place and recommend spending a couple of days there if you haven't already done so. We went outside to St. Augustine and then down the ICW to Melbourne.

We were trying to make a scheduled opening of a bridge in New Symrna Beach and blew the front main seal in our starboard sail drive and also saw some milkyness in the oil. This is the 4th seal in 3.5 years. The local mechanic claims the problem is a worn bearing that causes motion in the shaft that exceeds the capability of the seal. Clearly replacing the seal hasn't been cutting it so we'll see if this repair works. So now after only two weeks here we sit on the hard hoping that the repair doesn't take too long.

In the meantime we have also found that the solar panels are inadequate in the winter though we have been getting away with only two hours/day on the genset. Of course the wind has been blowing well for our 14 hours of darkness, making me rethink my decision not to put a wind generator on board.

Gayle has posted some nice pictures on our blog and is going to put some more up today.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:11   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Made the transition to a long term cruiser

Welcome to cruising.
You will experience the best years of your life
Enjoy
Forget the schedule it never works..
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:52   #3

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
We finally converted to long term cruisers/live aboards. We moved aboard in October to get ready to leave and after the completion of our cockpit enclosure we pulled away from the dock two weeks ago today. We have had a few issues, the cat (feline not boat) discovered you get an unexpected result if you don't know the difference between a dock and a reflection of a dock. She does swim well even if she's not happy about it. We left Morehead City on Thanksgiving and went directly to Cumberland Island in GA. It's really a beautiful place and recommend spending a couple of days there if you haven't already done so. We went outside to St. Augustine and then down the ICW to Melbourne.

We were trying to make a scheduled opening of a bridge in New Symrna Beach and blew the front main seal in our starboard sail drive and also saw some milkyness in the oil. This is the 4th seal in 3.5 years. The local mechanic claims the problem is a worn bearing that causes motion in the shaft that exceeds the capability of the seal. Clearly replacing the seal hasn't been cutting it so we'll see if this repair works. So now after only two weeks here we sit on the hard hoping that the repair doesn't take too long.

In the meantime we have also found that the solar panels are inadequate in the winter though we have been getting away with only two hours/day on the genset. Of course the wind has been blowing well for our 14 hours of darkness, making me rethink my decision not to put a wind generator on board.

Gayle has posted some nice pictures on our blog and is going to put some more up today.
Congratulations Bill.
You are doing what many of us are working towards so it's good to see someone getting there.
With a permanent Gayle on board a wind gennie should be fantastic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 13:20   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Well done Bill....
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 18:01   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Way to go Bill. Remember, cruising is repairing the boat in exotic places. We are twenty years into our five year cruising plan. Enjoy. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:49   #6

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Excellent, Bill! (I wonder if our kitties can swim...let me check...)
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:08   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to mdvick

YEAAAAHHHH!! ANOTHER ONE IS UNDERWAY!!! Way to go guys. For what it is worth, when I started cruising in the 80's I had a too smart for her own good Siamese, I was told that if you hold the cat and make her look - drop a handful of pennys on the deck and then drop them overboard, you will never have an issue with her wanting to chase anything over the side. It worked.

I only have two rules -
1. Be safe and have fun!
2. Don't scare me, don't hurt me!

Have a ball!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 19:01   #8

Re: Made the Transition to a Long-Term Cruiser

Did that really work????

I have a too smart (ish) siamee who choose to jump over the side one day. Those evil ducks were taunting her. Thankfully she caught the toe rail with one paw. It was a bonding moment!

John
Penceler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 19:51   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to mdvick

It really worked. My understanding of the reason is that they do not realize that what we float on is not solid. When you drop coins or washers or anything that will not float, it makes an indelible impression on them.
Old 08-12-2011, 19:59   #10

I'll try it.

Isn't every meezer too smart for their own good?

John
Penceler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser, long term cruising