Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2018, 00:20   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Madagascar, a land of sails.

Arrived in Nosy be Madagascar a couple of days back.

What i love about travel is the different sights and experiences. These guys arent tourist boats they're real working boats, been doing their thing for a very long time. Ghost in and out each morning and afternoon on the land and sea breezes. It gave me real joy watching them slowly cruise in yesterday morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LRM_EXPORT_20180525_164456.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	170545   Click image for larger version

Name:	LRM_EXPORT_20180525_170145.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	170546  

Click image for larger version

Name:	LRM_EXPORT_20180525_165240.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	170547   Click image for larger version

Name:	15272543706855.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	170548  

daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 00:22   #2

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Re: Madagascar, a land of sails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post

What i love about travel is the different sights and experiences. These guys arent tourist boats they're real working boats, been doing their thing for a very long time. Ghost in and out each morning and afternoon on the land and sea breezes. It gave me real joy watching them slowly cruise in yesterday morning.
Absolutely beautiful, thanks for sharing. Love the look of those boats, encouragement to get my refit done as soon as able and get out exploring what this beautiful ocean has to offer.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 01:34   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

thanks for posting!
i hope you are taking your anti malaria medication,or at least have medication onboard to treat it,some very nasty strains of chloroquine resistant falciparum malaria there in mada.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 02:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
thanks for posting!
i hope you are taking your anti malaria medication,or at least have medication onboard to treat it,some very nasty strains of chloroquine resistant falciparum malaria there in mada.
Hi Atoll, no I'm not. I was thinking about it yesterday, as there's been a couple of mozzies. At this stage I'm more likely to die from breathing in the ridiculous amounts of mozzie coil smoke at night.
Old 26-05-2018, 02:24   #5

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Quote:
Hi Atoll, no I'm not. I was thinking about it yesterday, as there's been a couple of mozzies. At this stage I'm more likely to die from breathing in the ridiculous amounts of mozzie coil smoke at night.
My wife uses this essential oil blend that works pretty good. Not sure you will be able to find the oils there, but good food for thought on the next go round. Not sure how long the post takes to get there but PM me if your interested in having the oils sent to you.

https://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2015/...ssential-oils/

Thanks again for the beautiful photos
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 02:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
My wife uses this essential oil blend that works pretty good. Not sure you will be able to find the oils there, but good food for thought on the next go round. Not sure how long the post takes to get there but PM me if your interested in having the oils sent to you.

https://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2015/...ssential-oils/

Thanks again for the beautiful photos
Hi 406Columbia, thanks for the offer, I'm not sure how the postal thing works yet.

Nosy be so far has been a pleasant surprise. It's very clean where Mayotte prior to this was not. I can be abit of a princess, enjoy a cappacino and bit of cake etc they have nice little restraunts etc that are very affordable. Great fresh food market. Lovely climate with gentle breezes blowing.

Theft is an issue I'm told but there's guys that mind your dinghy ashore for a couple of bucks a day. We have bars on our hatches and companion way as I've had some small issues in the Philippines and Seychelles before, the security bars assure me of a good night sleep. I'm mindful of theft when ever there's a large cap between us and the locals, I don't blame them, we have so much and they have so little.

As normal I enjoy meeting the locals and find most to be very nice. The kids are great, I get a real kick out of watching them play. My favourite kids are always the ones in poor countries, they don't know they're poor.
Old 26-05-2018, 03:02   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
check the local pharmacy and ask them what they advise.
we carried artemesin,which is good for the resistant strains.
also larium.
doxycycline can be taken as a prophalaxis but does not always work with resistant strains

its very important you carry enough to treat each person onboard,as frequently due to the 2 week incubation period it will occur either at sea or in a remote anchorage.

if you start getting a head ache,chills ,aching,aversion to bright light,similar to flu symptons etc the chances are it is malaria,and best to treat as malaria soon as possible ..

falciparum will have you feeling very ill,very fast.
after taking the medication,you will still have fevers for about 2 days,but should start feeling better/normal after about 5 days.
it is important to keep hydrated,even though you will probably throw up any thing taken.

most clinics (and pharmacys) will be able to do a quick blood test,and generally will treat with IV drip and bed rest in the clinic,but bottled water,food,drugs,toiletries etc will need paying for and brought in by another yachtie or crew whilst you recover.

link to some useful info,generic names for artemesin are artesunate,which seems to work against all resistant strains,though not quite as fast as conventional treatments

https://www.cdc.gov/malaria/diagnosi...treatment.html
Old 26-05-2018, 03:05   #8

Good info Atoll, appreciated.
Cheers Dale.
Old 26-05-2018, 03:08   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hi 406Columbia, thanks for the offer, I'm not sure how the postal thing works yet.

Nosy be so far has been a pleasant surprise. It's very clean where Mayotte prior to this was not. I can be abit of a princess, enjoy a cappacino and bit of cake etc they have nice little restraunts etc that are very affordable. Great fresh food market. Lovely climate with gentle breezes blowing.

Theft is an issue I'm told but there's guys that mind your dinghy ashore for a couple of bucks a day. We have bars on our hatches and companion way as I've had some small issues in the Philippines and Seychelles before, the security bars assure me of a good night sleep. I'm mindful of theft when ever there's a large cap between us and the locals, I don't blame them, we have so much and they have so little.

As normal I enjoy meeting the locals and find most to be very nice. The kids are great, I get a real kick out of watching them play. My favourite kids are always the ones in poor countries, they don't know they're poor.
always lift your dinghy out at night,outboards are like gold there!,even then i have heard of inflatables that have had the transom cut off during the night whilst suspended!
Old 26-05-2018, 04:14   #10

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Subscribed. Good to see you made it to Madagascar Dale, and it's living up to its high expectations. Thanks for posting the photos.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 05:20   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Dale,
Thanks for posting the photos of the dhows (one of the traditional boats I like to see too) and your impressions of the port too.

I wish I could be there myself to see the same.

It is impressive how far you have sailed. Bon Voyage (and visit) and safe travels too.

Show us some more of what you see. More photos please.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 09:10   #12

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Your post reminds me why I want to do this. Thanks - I'll be smiling all day.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 10:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
check the local pharmacy and ask them what they advise.
we carried artemesin,which is good for the resistant strains.
also larium.
doxycycline can be taken as a prophalaxis but does not always work with resistant strains

its very important you carry enough to treat each person onboard,as frequently due to the 2 week incubation period it will occur either at sea or in a remote anchorage.

if you start getting a head ache,chills ,aching,aversion to bright light,similar to flu symptons etc the chances are it is malaria,and best to treat as malaria soon as possible ..

falciparum will have you feeling very ill,very fast.
after taking the medication,you will still have fevers for about 2 days,but should start feeling better/normal after about 5 days.
it is important to keep hydrated,even though you will probably throw up any thing taken.

most clinics (and pharmacys) will be able to do a quick blood test,and generally will treat with IV drip and bed rest in the clinic,but bottled water,food,drugs,toiletries etc will need paying for and brought in by another yachtie or crew whilst you recover.

link to some useful info,generic names for artemesin are artesunate,which seems to work against all resistant strains,though not quite as fast as conventional treatments

https://www.cdc.gov/malaria/diagnosi...treatment.html
Geez Alex......is there anything you DON'T know?
Old 26-05-2018, 10:31   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

We have spent a lot of time there, Dale. Be good to hear your plans after Nosy Be. The lemur sanctuary is special.
We love the whole area. Presume you shall spend some time in Russian Bay etc? If you are going to cruise down the coast be sure to enter the 'secret' inlet at 015'S. If you stand off any distance you'll not see the entrance as it is concealed by a fold in the cliffs. There are, like so many places, lots of hidden gems in this area. Many of the places in mid-channel (Madagascan Channel) are straight out of fairy tale books.
Mayotte is exquisite with some stunning walks and amazing scenery. Juan de Nova, Bassas da India, Ile Europa are well worth stops if weather permits. Juan de Nova is inhabited by a French meteorologist and some soldiers - they were really accommodating each time we have stopped by (we take them fresh fish).
Brings backs some wonderful memories of when my wife was still at my side.

Quote:

Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 11:55   #15
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Beautiful. Thanks for posting.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Madagascar, sail, sails