Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2019, 14:22   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Lower Chesapeake Bay Afternoon Squall

Looking at some of the early buoy reports it appears the wind gusts were 50 knots plus after a very light wind sailing day

I was at my boat running the engine an hour or so before it hit and you could already hear the thunder and see the dark sky coming

I hope everyone got through it OK

This one near the York River
https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_pa...?station=44072
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 15:35   #2

Boat: Iroquois Catamaran #149
Re: Lower Chesapeake Bay Afternoon Squall

We were over in cape charles and for the shuck-n-suck and debated staying for the afternoon docking contest but decided to leave mid morning. Think BBSA was still there. Glad we left when we did. Motored across the bay to littlecreek, got boarded and inspected by the coast guard (went quickly at least) and then the VHF alarm for the storm as we came in.
VBsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 15:44   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBsail View Post
We were over in cape charles and for the shuck-n-suck and debated staying for the afternoon docking contest but decided to leave mid morning. Think BBSA was still there. Glad we left when we did. Motored across the bay to littlecreek, got boarded and inspected by the coast guard (went quickly at least) and then the VHF alarm for the storm as we came in.
Boarded and inspected by the Coast Guard?

The actual Coast Guard with the young kids/guys and gals or the auxiliary old guys? And which boat..... a 29'ner or small patrol boat

https://www.google.com/search?q=coas...=1564958592528

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...=1564958634404

I'm at Little creek also.
Old 04-08-2019, 17:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Boarded and inspected by the Coast Guard?

The actual Coast Guard with the young kids/guys and gals or the auxiliary old guys? And which boat..... a 29'ner or small patrol boat

I'm at Little creek also.
Just a point, an "at sea" Coast Guard boarding where you are directed to comply will always be a CG vessel (i.e. the "young kids/guys and gals", LOL). The "old guys" i.e. CG Auxiliary won't be "boarding and inspecting" a boat at sea, the CG Aux has no authority to do so UNLESS they have an active duty CG petty officer or officer on board in which case that is who will do the boarding (happens only rarely and the CG Aux vessel will then be displaying the USCG Ensign). The CG Aux can be invited to come aboard for a "courtesy" safety inspection but it is my understanding that will always take place at the dock or boat ramp.

We were also out in the lower bay sailing (slowly) in those light winds, saw the weather building to the north and the radar picture, lit off the engine and headed back to Hampton, glad we did when we did seeing the winds that ended up coming through!
slipaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 18:14   #5

Boat: Iroquois Catamaran #149

Must have been our weekend. First thing yesterday morning on Kings creek we were stopped by two marine police officers on jetskis while taking the dog to shore in the dinghy. I didn't have my wallet/ID for the ride to the beach and and he was not overly understanding. I pointed to our anchored boat and offered to get it and they eventually let us "go" after promising to always carry it from now on.

Today was normal coast guard, 5 guys and a girl, mix of ages. Came straight out of the inlet, circled then pulled beside. Asked if we had been boarded recently and when I said "no" they said they would be coming aboard. Two guys came over and filled out paperwork, one appeared to be training the other. I had everything handy which they complimented. They asked my wife about the holding tank which she wasn't sure how to answer, but when I said its a natures head composting he seemed familiar and satisfied.
VBsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipaway View Post
Just a point, an "at sea" Coast Guard boarding where you are directed to comply will always be a CG vessel (i.e. the "young kids/guys and gals", LOL). The "old guys" i.e. CG Auxiliary won't be "boarding and inspecting" a boat at sea, the CG Aux has no authority to do so UNLESS they have an active duty CG petty officer or officer on board in which case that is who will do the boarding (happens only rarely and the CG Aux vessel will then be displaying the USCG Ensign). The CG Aux can be invited to come aboard for a "courtesy" safety inspection but it is my understanding that will always take place at the dock or boat ramp.

We were also out in the lower bay sailing (slowly) in those light winds, saw the weather building to the north and the radar picture, lit off the engine and headed back to Hampton, glad we did when we did seeing the winds that ended up coming through!
Thanks for the info.

I have seen the "old guys" stopping boats in Little Creek before but didn't pay enough attention to see if they boarded. They were not on a Coast Guard Vessel but possibly one of their own boats. They had a couple lower enlisted guys with them

I have rarely seen the actual Coast Guard kids on patrol boats stopping boats but have been stopped by an upper enlisted Coast Guardsman on a 29'ner to turn me away from an exercise on the lower bay.

I say young because recently I was speaking with one of my former military upper enlisted guys online that I worked for back in the day. We considered him an old guy back then. He was 29 years old and we were 17-19 and newly arrived to that base out of school (the base was Marine Auxiliary Landing Field Bogue, NC)
Old 05-08-2019, 03:29   #7

Quote:
Must have been our weekend. First thing yesterday morning on Kings creek we were stopped by two marine police officers on jetskis while taking the dog to shore in the dinghy. I didn't have my wallet/ID for the ride to the beach and and he was not overly understanding. I pointed to our anchored boat and offered to get it and they eventually let us "go" after promising to always carry it from now on.

Today was normal coast guard, 5 guys and a girl, mix of ages. Came straight out of the inlet, circled then pulled beside. Asked if we had been boarded recently and when I said "no" they said they would be coming aboard. Two guys came over and filled out paperwork, one appeared to be training the other. I had everything handy which they complimented. They asked my wife about the holding tank which she wasn't sure how to answer, but when I said its a natures head composting he seemed familiar and satisfied.
So I'm thinking they were on one of the small patrol boats not a 29'ner etc
Old 05-08-2019, 03:39   #8

Quote:
marine police .... dinghy.....wallet/ID ...... not overly understanding..
Is there a requirement to have an ID in a dinghy?
If so what kind of ID?
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:12   #9

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Since when is it required we even carry ID, unless it is an operator's license state? I stopped reading the news, have we totally lost our democracy?
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:33   #10

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
Is there a requirement to have an ID in a dinghy?
If so what kind of ID?
In many jurisdictions, law enforcement is legally allowed to stop anyone and request ID as long as it is reasonable and within their scope of duties. Wouldn't matter if you're on land or water. There have been a few lawsuits about it being harassment but courts have generally sided with law enforcement as long as repeated harassment can't be proven.

A driver's license, state ID card, passport, or anything like that should be adequate.

John
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Wanderlust View Post
law enforcement is legally allowed to stop anyone and request ID as long as it is reasonable
yea,

but you are generally not required to have ID on you (like walking down a street), and if you do not, the officer most definitely has no cause to be unpleasant about it ('not overly understanding').

Unless there is some actual bay requirement to have an ID in a dinghy? That is what I am asking - is there? This is actual curiosity here, not any agenda.

edit - just a bit of quick googling - in MD at least it looks like, if you are a state resident, you are in fact required to have Maryland Safe Boating Certificate with you (in a motorized dinghy greater than 11'), but what I saw did not require an 'ID' (eg like a drivers license). That was just a quick google, and it is easy to misinterpret such laws on quick reading, so I would be curious if anyone has actual knowledge about the state of play here? It would appear if you are not an MD resident, you are not required to carry any id in the dinghy (in MD waters)?
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:27   #12

Boat: Hunter 356 35'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
yea,

but you are generally not required to have ID on you (like walking down a street), and if you do not, the officer most definitely has no cause to be unpleasant about it ('not overly understanding').

Unless there is some actual bay requirement to have an ID in a dinghy? That is what I am asking - is there? This is actual curiosity here, not any agenda.

edit - just a bit of quick googling - in MD at least it looks like, if you are a state resident, you are in fact required to have Maryland Safe Boating Certificate with you (in a motorized dinghy greater than 11'),
Good question and would like to know what to carry.

Always take a portable VHF with us attached to a laminated dinghy registration card. If I need my ID / license I am going to have to remember that. As for the Safe Boating Certificate I have that but am exempt because born before 1972, but might need the ID to prove if.

As a note been boating in the upper / mid bay the last 5 years and haven't been stopped or approached yet, just jinxed that

Jeff
jeff356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:55   #13

Hello,

I have never been boarded by the Coast Guard so the comments re boarding has peaked my curiosity. Would someone post what I could expect when I am boarded? I would expect ID and vessel info but also surprised about carrying ID while on a short dingy ride. Safety, contraband???? Is there a checklist/protocol published??

Thanks!
glcalahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:11   #14

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

How often are you fellows being boarded by the law, overall, in the lower bay?

Are the VA Marine Police stopping a lot as well? As far as I can recall, I've been stopped about 3 times in the mid-bay by the MD Marine Police, and once by the Coast Guard - over about 15 years.

Generally, they want to check registration, fire extinguisher, flares, whistle, PFD's, etc. Basic safety requirements & are polite.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:47   #15

Boat: Bristol 35.5

shoot pics of all the docs and keep them on your phone

Tags
chesapeake bay