Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2011, 07:18   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Lost while the wife slept

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Sebastian Junger as part of researching The Perfect Storm also researched what it felt like to drown ... from people who were rescued after they lost consciousness.

While none of the description sounds good, this sentence in particular has always made me put on my harness.

Along with disbelief is (reported by near drowned people) an overwhelming sense of being wrenched from life at the most banal, inopportune moment imaginable...He has an image of people shaking their heads over him dying so senselessly.The drowning person may feel that it's the last, greatest act of stupidity in his life.

Carl
My last concious thought was "F*#k it... I went to deep..." then I got the 'White Light' effect....
then next thing I was aware of was my head being bounced of a bulkhead by an RN policeman coz I'd kicked his mate overboard when they hauled me in and pumped me out.... ahhh 'Happy Daze'.....
Gibraltar 1967.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 27-06-2011, 07:26   #32

Boat: Niagara 31
Re: Lost while the wife slept

I often sail single-handed in a 31' sailboat the North East corner of Lake Ontario. It can be very cold in the early and late parts of the summer. Some days I'm out there and there is no boat in sight as far as the eye can see. I try to make it a rule with myself never to move from the cockpit without my self-inflating lifejacket on. It's a hard rule to follow in calm water, always a big temptation to just nip out and fix whatever. And of course, if it's rough, I wear the jacket also in the cockpit. Here in the summer, it can be very hot and humid, and wearing a jacket, or anything around the neck, can be the last thing you want to do. I also carry a "tube" in my pocket which has green fog at one end and flares at the other, but I have doubts as to whether it would do me any good. I've tried trailing a line behind the boat, but there's often some well-meaning person shouting at me that I have a trailing line ! I've also installed accidental gybe preventers on the boom which also get me strange looks and questions when I'm in the marina ! Obviously not single-handers !

I think a very small VHF or cell phone would be better. This story has motivated me to look for something really waterproof along those lines.
Old 27-06-2011, 07:58   #33

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Standard Horizon make some small "submersibles" that are nice. The 851 is bulkier than the 471S, but it gives you a lat/lon, so conceivably if you fell off, you could actually report your position, although it would probably be a MAYDAY RELAY as the range of a handheld VHF at zero feet altitude is going to be five miles. You should still get Prescott, even then.

An alternative is to get a wearable PLB beacon. I've had one since 2007 and I take it on deliveries. Again, the newer ones report GPS co-ords, which is handy.

If you put a plastic float on the trailing line (which itself is likely yellow polyprop, right?) maybe people will see it's intentional.

Another tactic is to rig a bungee cord on the tiller to allow the boat to round up should you let go.

Realistically, however, a VHF makes the most sense as even if you can't see other boats, there's a lot of commercial shipping heading in and out of the lake nearby.
Old 27-06-2011, 08:29   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Jacklines save lives!
Old 27-06-2011, 10:04   #35

I'm not sure jacklines do save lives -- you're in the water, the boat's moving at four knots, you're probably drowned. But jacklines do make retrieving the body easier. That said we always wear inflatables on deck when we are underway and we always clip on to jacklines if we leave the cockpit, saves those agonizing days of searching.
Old 27-06-2011, 10:26   #36

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
I'm not sure jacklines do save lives -- you're in the water, the boat's moving at four knots, you're probably drowned. But jacklines do make retrieving the body easier. That said we always wear inflatables on deck when we are underway and we always clip on to jacklines if we leave the cockpit, saves those agonizing days of searching.
I always thought the jackline works great, unless the person using it has the wrong length tether.
Old 27-06-2011, 11:31   #37
cruiser

Coolestgadgets.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbeth View Post
I often sail single-handed in a 31' sailboat the North East corner of Lake Ontario. It can be very cold in the early and late parts of the summer. Some days I'm out there and there is no boat in sight as far as the eye can see. I try to make it a rule with myself never to move from the cockpit without my self-inflating lifejacket on. It's a hard rule to follow in calm water, always a big temptation to just nip out and fix whatever. And of course, if it's rough, I wear the jacket also in the cockpit. Here in the summer, it can be very hot and humid, and wearing a jacket, or anything around the neck, can be the last thing you want to do. I also carry a "tube" in my pocket which has green fog at one end and flares at the other, but I have doubts as to whether it would do me any good. I've tried trailing a line behind the boat, but there's often some well-meaning person shouting at me that I have a trailing line ! I've also installed accidental gybe preventers on the boom which also get me strange looks and questions when I'm in the marina ! Obviously not single-handers !

I think a very small VHF or cell phone would be better. This story has motivated me to look for something really waterproof along those lines.
-KNOT sure if allawed to plug supplier but just google for info on waterproof ceelphones.Screen on my Sony-erickson has fried out three times under warranty so now warranty is over so i am looking to upgrade and have been procrastinating paying for a waterproof phone since 1999 when mine fell in the intracoastal and zapped-out.Challenge is to get one that works allover planet as who knows where or who'se system u might end up on as practically all work 911 free without contract close to shore but only if gsm/whatever compatable. Years ago Brandsmart,miami where i got the phone from replaced it free but had no waterproof models{probably do now} and in those good -ole -days a Bellsouth mobility phone worked free on Batelco and most carribean systems. Problem was u didnt know the calls were free until getting a look at the bill later and us cell-phone users "in-the-know" werent asking the tele. co. why. Apparantly this is still possible to do in some areas of mexico and south america where the latest tech is not in use. Has something to do with digital works over analog undetected or some such tech talk i dont understand except that my outgoing calls were free even long distance except no-one could call me unless i got a local tele. co. contract. Well i aint too happy about people calling me and running up my cell-phone bill so outgoing calls is fine with me as if it is an emergency and the tele has biult in GPS im sure they can find me{if they want to use the resources} and at least i call up my bud and say farewell. I remember taking a swim to shore from a fishing boat on lake ontario May 24 opening weekend. Felt like the cold water was draining my strength but i heard from someone in that area that a seaman deliberataly jumped from the stern of a lake freighter called the Algonorth{algoma seamship lines} and was found 24 hrs later swimming in his underwear as i guess he decided to live afterall.The canadian said he was committed for a short time and fired and put on disability so i suppose it is possible tp survive in that cold waters of the true,north,strong and free. Not sure what time of year that frenchman jumped overboard but im sure that lake is never a warm bathtub.I will never deliberately jump in and swim to shore in such cold May waters again even though i was wearing a CO2 PFD that lays flat and is very comfortable to wear under shirts/jackets so i strongly endorse these type of life-jackets that are the same as the ones under the seats of commercial airline seats.so comfortable why bother taking them off when onshore as there practically unnoticeable under a shirt and seldom left unworn in the smaller craft wher it gets dirty or blown overboard.Usually tempting fate by swimming in such cold waters isnt an education but fatal move but i just wanted to test it.not a move i would ever do delibrately while alone as i knew that cold water was lowering my body temp fast.Was beautiful how that lake ontario was like glass flat early inthe morning and then 2ft waves in an hour or less.Very scenic is that 1000 islands area.Fairwinds
Old 27-06-2011, 13:22   #38

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Coolestgadgets.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullord View Post
-KNOT sure if allawed to plug supplier but just google for info on waterproof ceelphones...............Fairwinds
Just get whatever phone you want and when you're on the boat, keep it in one of these dry bags.
Old 27-06-2011, 13:56   #39

A few years ago a doublehander boat in the ARC was sailed by two brothers. One went over the side and was pinned against the side dragged through the water by his harness. At first he and his brother were able to discuss how to get him free. Finally his brother cut him free but by the time he got the boat back to him the brother was dead. He may have drowned while being pulled through the water within inches of his brother.

Carry a knife.

And how come after all these years, most of the new boats at boat shows still have life lines that only come up to my knees?

Once you are past the lifelines, your chances are poor.

Carl
Old 27-06-2011, 15:07   #40

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

"Carry a knife".

Couldn't agree more. I keep thinking all sailors know this, but it is not the case. It doesn't have to be a Leatherman or a Spyderco titanium no-rust wonder that costs over a hundred bucks. That's the one you keep in a zip pocket or in the best belt sheath you can find. For PFDs, you wait for WM to put their little sheepsfoot folders with the serrated edge on sale...I got six of them last time at nine bucks each. Loop them onto the PFDs, and fold them behind the Velcro cover of the inflatable part if they catch on things. That way, you will HAVE IT AT HAND if you go over with a tether...although as has been pointed out, the tether should be short enough, the lifelines should be high enough and the jackline should be taut enough so that isn't going to be an issue.

Stuff, however, happens, and I have used a knife to free a sail (had to cut the leech line that was hooked on a spreader) and to keep a crew's finger from being crushed in a tensioned line.

So don't leave dock without it.
Old 27-06-2011, 15:33   #41
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Lost while the wife slept

"A man is not a man without a knife...."
Quote from an old German friend....
As for the rest... I think my views/habits at sea are known well enough by now...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 27-06-2011, 15:40   #42
cruiser

amazing stories?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
A few years ago a doublehander boat in the ARC was sailed by two brothers. One went over the side and was pinned against the side dragged through the water by his harness. At first he and his brother were able to discuss how to get him free. Finally his brother cut him free but by the time he got the boat back to him the brother was dead. He may have drowned while being pulled through the water within inches of his brother.

Carry a knife.

And how come after all these years, most of the new boats at boat shows still have life lines that only come up to my knees?

Once you are past the lifelines, your chances are poor.

Carl
- that could be the title of the series on TLC and one episode deals with the survival of one skydiver out of 6 who found a piece of log floating off the costa rican coastline long enough for him to be rescued by local fisherman days later sadly the others and airplane were never recovered alive so who knows how much wood floating off australian coast that could save man overboard. Reason i want waterproof tiny cellphone is that damn phone has replaced the jackknife i used to carry as a kid and i seldom go anywhere but the shower without the phone in my pocket or waistbag. I saw the story of those 2 brothers on TV as well and he basically got trolled underwater by his tether long enough to drown. It takes great strength to just hold on to a horizontal bar for more than a minute let alone pull oneself up a line so keep the tether short is wise. I am reminded of an evening in st.thomas USVI years ago when i was standing in the dink and handing off the outboard to the mate on deck when i lost my balance and fell backwards into the water. By the luck of whatever and deathgrip on that new outboard i then had one hand on the dink rope and the other on the outboard which was underwater and barely able to keep my head out of water. My mate then jumped down into the dink and yes ,grabbed that motor first as the last one had just been stolen and we didnt want to lose that motor so we would take it off at night. Alcohol was a factor but then i had more grip and strength then now so one must except the age and wear those PFDs as i figure i couldnt tread water for 2 hours nowadays. Yea we should all carry knives,VHFs,flares etc at all times but who does when we are usually wearing shorts and little else on warm days. an inflatable dink that fits in a waistbag made out of spaceblanket or something ultrathin and light would be neat,just pull the cord and bingo ,you got a one-man liferaft the size of an innertube to curl up in. Geez maybe i just gave a great invention idea to a patent agent for free. Hope they find the guy if he wants to be found.Doubt he jumped on purpose but it does happen on large cruize ships .Especially if the jumper got some wicked cancer/whatever that is uncurable.Carry on you wayward sons .Dont have to pull a Hemmingway but it is your choice.Hope ,faith and charity,the greatest of these is?
Old 27-06-2011, 16:20   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I carry 4 knives, and that is to go to the office.

A 3" lock back Buck - ss
A largish swiss army knife - ss
A gentleman's dress knife - ss
A RadioShack miniature multi-tool with wire strippers

Yeah, I know, I'm nutz.
Old 27-06-2011, 16:58   #44
cruiser

LOL,just prepared like Goetz on the NY subway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I carry 4 knives, and that is to go to the office.

A 3" lock back Buck - ss
A largish swiss army knife - ss
A gentleman's dress knife - ss
A RadioShack miniature multi-tool with wire strippers

Yeah, I know, I'm nutz.
IF money is no object check out "Single handed sailor-Man overboard system" at www.seamarshall.com . this does alot except turn the boat around using autopilot and GPS and come back and get you right away in time for corn-flakes and OJ. More info at www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html some of which will make you wonder just who is more nuts.scroll down to jan2 or 4th and its sounds like the dude talked himself into a mexico prison cell. nuts or really nuts? maybe too much scotch and coke and just hold the scotch while i go overboard on coke? i keep a razor sharp machette in the cockpit while underway to cut any pesky lines wrapped around ankles. But i am way too scared to carry it around on shore like the natives do after googling the penaty for possession of samurai sword etc on land but i would love to get a crocodile dundee knife for laughs to put with my Rambo knife that has built in compass ,flint,matches,wiresaw picture of jesus/naked women{to keep faith} and RJ8{yellowjackets}to stay awake 24/7 so i dont miss flyover in first 72 hrs cause i will be so high and alert i will hear a whale fart at 1000 yards.However i wont have my Rambo knife unless i am able to reach out and grab my abandon-ship bag on the way overboard which i doubt will occur as my arms are not that long but perhaps the solution is to troll the "abandon-ship' bag off the stern on a painter line and hope some hungry shark doesnt come up from the deep and swallow my 9.99$ Rabo knife with built -in compass that spins like a top everywhere evenin the bermuda triangle.Must quit buying coke and bourban and save pennies for "man overboard system" from www.seamarshall.com or charge to buds card and have delivered to po box at local Wiggly-Piggly post office outlet. Then i can also pick up some free t-bones and canned budweiser at the same time as well as some white wine for any women that can handle this nutz,Cheers
Old 27-06-2011, 17:44   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Yeah, ok.................definitely go easy on the coke.
Closed Thread