Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 26-06-2011, 22:50   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Re: Lost while the wife slept

When I sailed around the world with my kids and wife, my greatest fear was someone going overboard. I always ran high lifelines at chest height on my catamaran when sailing offshore. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose someone overboard sailing offshore.

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
Old 26-06-2011, 22:51   #17

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I didn't pretend that it wasn't horrid to contemplate a crime instead of a straightforward piece of accident/misfortune. But it would be naive not to consider it in any situation where two go out and only one returns. Hell, it's been the plot for any number of books and movies.

I seem to recall a boat was found adrift in Torres Strait two or three years ago adrift and empty, with signs of a recent meal still on the table and three or four guys missing. Was that one ever figured out?
Call me a skeptic, but this was the first thing that came to my mind...

Nice day, perfect weather, nice (expensive) boat...."fit healthy and experienced yachtsman"... And she was sleeping, mid-afternoon... indeed "oldest story in the book".

Old 26-06-2011, 22:57   #18

Boat: Able 50

The cops have pulled the pin. Last night was 8c so they are now assuming he drowned.
Old 26-06-2011, 23:55   #19

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Strange business. The weather was so calm he was motoring not sailing. Can't have been hit by the boom.

Heart attack maybe ?
Bet they find him with his fly open!
Old 27-06-2011, 00:04   #20

Boat: Tartan 30

it is sad though... no matter the speculation, too many believe just because they are not "alone" they are not considered 'singlehanding'.... not saying that's what this guy thought, but it seems to be an obvious misconception amongst sailing couples. I even hear people say they are "against" singlehanding, yet they are shorthanded just the same....

What I've learned (mostly from reading) is, If you are sailing with you're crew down below, you are a singlehander. Take a few tips from the pro's... keep tied in at all times, not just on the foredeck... pee in a bottle.... and just because it's calm, doesn't mean "relax", you're still sailing...

If you're not predisposed to giving up, and you can afford it, get a strobe, plb, autoinflateable, whatever makes it easier for OTHER PEOPLE to find you. These people will be looking for you whether you paid for it or not, whether you like it or not, whether you agree with the philosophy of it or not...they will be there, looking for you.
Old 27-06-2011, 00:13   #21

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Bet they find him with his fly open!
A flasher ? Gosh !
Old 27-06-2011, 01:10   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37

I did some trials on this a few years ago specifically to try to help coastguard effectiveness against missing divers.

The only way that the IR source will work is to have a decent difference between the water temperature and the person in the water. Thus you need to float as high out of the water as possible to prevent spray cooling the head.

The opposite side of this problem is that it is essential to maintain body heat when in the water for a long time. The neoprene hood that divers wear (in cold water!) is a great way of staying warm, but also prevents the diver being seen on the IR. The only sensible solution is to wear it until the helipcopter is in the area, then remove it. Unfortunately, it also interferes with hearing a helicopter approach from downwind!

A PLB , a strobe, or a day/night flare will much improve rescue possibility.

The same problem is relevant to small ribs/tenders. the water spray cools them down so they do not show up too well against a warm water background.
Old 27-06-2011, 02:41   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Life jacket...

Wearing a lifejacket should make it much easier to find a person in the water from the air (or from the shore or another boat).

And yes, its not compulsory if the boat is over 8m, unless the skipper 'considers a "heightened risk" situation exists'.
Old 27-06-2011, 04:51   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: nantai 37

Quote:
Skipper's privilege became a curse? Fiddling with one's fly has drowned more than one captain, although to be fair, he might've had a dizzy spell or a heart attack at the rail.

He might have been depressed, as well. A news report isn't likely to go into that sort of detail.

Lastly, one has to wonder how the two of them got along. There's only her word that she "woke up to find herself alone". Given a drop of the right drug in the coffee and some surplus chain, it would be a perfect crime, this "I woke up alone" business.
how can you write something like ? on a public forum?
someone is lost at sea and you making such statements , ?
perfect crime.... depressed...
at least you should show some kind of respect, or?
what do you think his wife would say if she reads some of your stuff you writing here?
Old 27-06-2011, 05:13   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Quote:
Skipper's privilege became a curse? Fiddling with one's fly has drowned more than one captain, although to be fair, he might've had a dizzy spell or a heart attack at the rail.

He might have been depressed, as well. A news report isn't likely to go into that sort of detail.

Lastly, one has to wonder how the two of them got along. There's only her word that she "woke up to find herself alone". Given a drop of the right drug in the coffee and some surplus chain, it would be a perfect crime, this "I woke up alone" business.
here is an idea, if he is not found the NSW state coroner will investigate. That office will ultimately convene a coroners inquest and make a determination. Police will undertake tests and checks of all matters and assemble a brief of evidence, you may well be correct in your musings - but I think I will choose to wait for the brief.
Old 27-06-2011, 05:28   #26

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

I just heard there may have been a language issue with the wife which slowed the response time for the rescue.
Very sad, the boat is apparently now in Carreal bay.
Old 27-06-2011, 05:36   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Earlier this year an experienced guy from Oz came to the Chesapeake to buy a boat and take it back.

First night out he tied to a public pier.

The next morning they found the boat motoring by it's lonesome.
Old 27-06-2011, 06:00   #28

Sebastian Junger as part of researching The Perfect Storm also researched what it felt like to drown ... from people who were rescued after they lost consciousness.

While none of the description sounds good, this sentence in particular has always made me put on my harness.

Along with disbelief is (reported by near drowned people) an overwhelming sense of being wrenched from life at the most banal, inopportune moment imaginable...He has an image of people shaking their heads over him dying so senselessly.The drowning person may feel that it's the last, greatest act of stupidity in his life.

Carl
Old 27-06-2011, 08:03   #29

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiesailor View Post
how can you write something like ? on a public forum?
someone is lost at sea and you making such statements , ?
perfect crime.... depressed...
at least you should show some kind of respect, or?
what do you think his wife would say if she reads some of your stuff you writing here?
Easily. Where else would I write it?

I respect seamanship. It is entirely possible that the lack of seamanship was not at issue here, but it is also entirely possible that Mr. Watchstander went to the rail for a leak, without a tether, without a PFD, without a strobe and without a hope of treading water until dawn.

That's on him.

I've been 600 miles into the Atlantic at 4 AM with the boat falling down 20 foot waves and the wind gusting to 40 knots. Damn right I was tethered on. I would've slid off the boat otherwise. The skipper had a rule that you stayed in the cockpit, tethered, AT ALL TIMES when alone on watch. If you needed to go forward, you stomped on the cockpit sole to wake the skipper and you only went forward when said skipper was himself clipped in.

It's a good rule. I've adapted it for pissy little calm motoring trips here on Lake Ontario. If people are asleep below and you are alone on the helm, YOU CLIP IN. I don't care if the water's a sheet of glass.

Here's a news flash regarding sentiment: The sea is utterly indifferent and will drown you rapidly if you fall in. The responsibility for staying aboard is 100% the responsibility of the crew. There is no room for "feelings" in this equation. Anyone who has experience of the sea knows this and plans for it. If the wife is experienced (and not looking to collect insurance...oh, that never happens!), she will acknowledge at some point that her husband did not do what he was supposed to do: stay with the boat.

Why he didn't is unknown, but this report didn't mention half a tether clipped on, implying "it broke", which would be a misfortune, or an accident, or a manufacturer's defect. It mentioned "in the morning, he was gone."

Like he fell off. I've fallen off a boat..with a PFD. Still not fun. Without, it's death 9 times out of 10 unless it's hot water and unless you are visible or very near to shore.

If he had a heart attack while tethered, he would be dead...on deck, or maybe he could've thrashed around to rouse his wife. We don't know, and we aren't likely to find out. But if he's just gone, and there was no tether, the amount of sympathy I can muster is similar to learning that a guy who constantly smoked died in a fire while fuelling a lawn mower. One wonders why it didn't happen sooner.
Old 27-06-2011, 08:05   #30

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Sebastian Junger as part of researching The Perfect Storm also researched what it felt like to drown ... from people who were rescued after they lost consciousness.

While none of the description sounds good, this sentence in particular has always made me put on my harness.

Along with disbelief is (reported by near drowned people) an overwhelming sense of being wrenched from life at the most banal, inopportune moment imaginable...He has an image of people shaking their heads over him dying so senselessly.The drowning person may feel that it's the last, greatest act of stupidity in his life.

Carl
That's about the most memorable part of that story, and is why I wear my PFD pretty consistantly now, and fully consistantly when sailing solo. Still gives me goosebumps...that and my old man's stories about Atlantic convoys in World War II.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: