Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-02-2015, 04:53   #76

Boat: Laurent Giles designed Carbineer 46
Re: Loss of the RedSky

Thanks guys i think i will write to Peter Overton and see what we can come up with. The only way to get anything sorted these days is to use the media. I am amazed at the Maritime Services investigation. They totally ignored the evidence from the crew of the British Loyalty who identified the buoy by the flash sequence. No changes in Manly Hydraulics procedures have been recommended
this leaves the public open to further catastrophic events such as I endured.
Next time it may be a fatal accident children may be involved. I will be writing to the Minister of Public Works ,the Premier & the Opposition leader in the next few weeks. I know have little respect for Maritime Services I'm sure they have been leaned on. Unlike the Fisheries Dept. who when they thought it was their FAD called me and offered all the support and help they could give. I was always looking at a suitable topic for a book i think this one just hit me in the forehead.

Moody Mike

Old 18-02-2015, 05:35   #77

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Just got caught up to speed....

Somehow... Somewhere... Some Way... There will be some turnabout...

Good luck Mike... And thanks for posting the details...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 08:21   #78

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017

Moody Mike,
Thanks for adding the additional details of the story.
Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2015, 16:43   #79

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Moody Mike,

So sorry to hear your news. Thank you for coming back with the fill.

Unfortunately, the job of the insurance company is to make money for its investors. The legalese the policies are written in are often difficult to understand. Many people are shocked to discover what they are not covered for and the excuses used for not paying claims. Another thread mentioned the presence of out of date as well as up to date flares aboard the vessel as a "valid" reason to not pay up.

You have our deepest sympathy. I hope you get some legal satisfaction, 'cause I think your boat might have been salvable after all she went through.

Good luck to you and your wife with this one.

Ann
Old 20-02-2015, 05:24   #80

Well you wont believe it more wittinesses are coming forward it seems that Nautilus insurance contracted ***** to salvage my boat. 2 men who were employed to help have come forward with statements that they saw my tools ,dingy ,outboard and other gear removed by the people who were supposed to be helping me. Then they blamed the indigenous locals for the theft. Well its al going to the police now and i hope the guilty get gaol plus i will pursue it civilly as well . These days everyone has a camera in there pocket & a conscience its pure stupidity to think you can do wrong in front of others and get away with it. These guys had a good business now they will lose everything . They were
well paid makes you wonder why. Meanwhile we are looking at getting a Nordhaven im over keeling & the wind never blows the right direction for me.
Mike

Moody Mike
Old 20-02-2015, 14:21   #81

Boat: csy 37

Good for you mike. By the way, for us Americans, "gaol" in English is "jail" in American.
Old 21-02-2015, 06:48   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Good for you mike. By the way, for us Americans, "gaol" in English is "jail" in American.
I was wondering why he was talking about the world cup.....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 02:43   #83

Gaol is old english we use both but my spell check went for Gaol wich is strange because it likes to put Z where we put s realise / realize .

Moody Mike
Old 24-02-2015, 17:45   #84

Nobody ever said spellcheck has to be consistent! Wishing you success.

Ann
Old 15-03-2015, 22:57   #85

Having owned many boats over the last 15 years and carries out surveys on many hundreds of yachts, I took a punt on an advert for a damaged, Moody 54 (Red Sky) and drove from Sydney to Ballina on the weekend to take a look. It is clear that the rudder skeg damage would have allowed a fair quantity of water to enter the hull. As we now know, this did not sink her, but what level-headed individual would stay on the boat in that weather when given an option to leave?

Anyway, she is alive, but having seen the photos of her on the beach and then seen her in the 'flesh', it's clear that she had a bad journey from the beach to the yard. However, there are a number of clues to the damage and its cause:

1) The skeg at an angle.
2) The rudder shaft bent.
3) Cable slices in the trailing edge of the keel (even a salvage operator who needed to get her off the beach would not use anything less than a thick chain)

The shame of it is that such a beautiful boat was actually destroyed by the salvage operation and not the accident itself. The council apparently needed her to be removed quickly.

If someone can get her safely back into service then I wish them good luck and hope that they build the jig that she needs, as there is considerable damage to much of the load-bearing structure. Some of this appears to have happened when she was put onto a makeshift cradle.

The looting was criminal, but I have difficulty in understanding how the buoy managed to take off and move position. Also, how the line to it was at such a lateral angle that it fouled the rudder of Red Sky. Is it possible that it was snagged by a fishing net, or a much bugger boat? If it was in much shallower water than intended then it could be floating a out of alignment with its anchor. Or did it lose its anchor? Anyway, as it was not still attached to Red Sky when she washed up, I suspect it will remain a 'mystery'.

She certainly was a beautiful boat.
Old 16-03-2015, 03:40   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

What a shame!

For anyone curious what an M54 looks like, here's mine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0115.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	98935

Name:	IMG_0111.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	98936

Here's hoping that Red Sky is soon repaired and goes back to sea; and that Mike gets some justice.
Old 16-03-2015, 16:22   #87

Boat: CS36T

Beautiful yacht Dockhead!
Old 16-03-2015, 16:47   #88

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS Cruiser View Post
Beautiful yacht Dockhead!
Thanks!
Old 19-04-2016, 17:26   #89

I am re-activating this thread, because we learned today that Cruising Helmsman for April has an article on this event.

The fact that 87 of these wave-rider buoys have gone missing and that the people who use them seem to think it's okay to kill boats with them and not have any fiduciary responsibility for that is extremely short-sighted. How long do they think the boating public will put up with having the bowling balls released along the northbound track?

The waverider buoy at Cape Sorrel on Tasmania's west coast--open to the Southern Ocean's huge swells manages to stay in place. Why the heck don't they fix it so they stay as positioned, rather than just leaving the hazard out there, no notification to the VMR's no action whatsoever....how irresponsible can they get???

Ann
Old 19-04-2016, 19:23   #90

We have a new boat a Carbineer 46 in beautiful condition. I just sailed her up from Hobart to the Gold Coast with the help of a couple of mates. We have been cruising around Tasmania for the last 6 months including a trip to Port Davey a truly beautiful place. Were currently tied up at a freinds place in Sanctuary Cove while we help out our Daughter who is expecting soon. While the Carbineer is not as flash as the big Moody its probably a better boat for our needs. It has hydraulic in mast furling on both masts, A huge 180 hp Yanmar deisel engine and the deck salon layout is very bright & airy. We now have dual steering stations with a lovely sunny cockpit when the weather is good & a shed to retreat to when its cold, wet & uncomfortable. The reduced draft lets us get into places the Moody would not fit & the overall reduction in length makes her easier & cheaper to berth. We gave up on trying to recover our uninsured loss the laywers were the only ones getting anything from that. I could see myself becoming bitter & twisted seeking some sort of revenge but that would only ruin my health & be a waste of my time. Im now back doing what we always intened cruising & having fun. As for Manly Hydraulics they have been told by AMSA thst they must report their buoys when they go adrift & these reports should be turned into notice to mariners. Hopefully the method of mooring the buoys has been reviewd. The contractor who serviced the buoys at Byron , Balina sold his boat & buisness very quickly after the event.
On our trip North we came across another unmarked wave recorder buoy off Port Stephens we passed by with 100 m clearence but another yacht only missed it by a few meters it wasnt marked on paper or electronic charts. We also noticed that fishermen are setting trap lines all the way up the NSW coast in direct lines between Capes. We passed by dozens of tri buoyed fish trap lines thst are directly in the parth of a course if you are hugging the coast point to point.
I stuck to traveling by day only all the way up from Eden with our longest day 110 miles.there are some great spots to stay with pubs close by for meals , showers etc.
We hope to be heading up to Hamilton Island race week later this year and if you see us on board Katrina III drop by & say hi.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	122862  

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: