Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2009, 07:08   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Losing It After 1,000 Days at Sea?

The 1,000 days at sea guy looks to be edging dangerously close to pulling a Donald Crowhurst. Check out some of his latest blog postings:

1000days.net - Day 948 One Breath Out, Part 2
Old 30-11-2009, 07:23   #2

Why do you say that? Where's the comparison?

Looks to me like he's just speaking a language you may not be familiar with (if you're not into meditation and eastern traditions).

regards,
Mike
MikeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 09:06   #3

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeZ View Post
Why do you say that? Where's the comparison?

Looks to me like he's just speaking a language you may not be familiar with (if you're not into meditation and eastern traditions).

regards,
Mike

Yep...I agree.

For me Spirituality goes the direction of God/Christ found in his written word as my source of peace... for other belief's its self manifested and a oneness with everything... which puts everything out of body on an even plane of worth.

He has definitely progressed in his spiritual growth since he left the dock but I would hope I would as well.

He will definitely be a changed individual for this experiment..But I hope I would be as well..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 09:41   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
After 1000days I'd bet he's a bit closer to the edge than most of us. Having said that IMHO just to do something like this trip you are probably a bit closer to the edge than most of us. More power to him. I just don't want to have to listen to him tell us all how wonderful he is for having done it. My brain is bigger than yours, David Koresh messiah/buddah types have always made me want to back slowly from the room. Mostly because I don't want to be around the people they attract. Fanatasism in any form makes me nervous.............m
Old 30-11-2009, 09:46   #5

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
I just don't want to have to listen to him tell us all how wonderful he is for having done it. My brain is bigger than yours, David Koresh messiah/buddah types have always made me want to back slowly from the room. Mostly because I don't want to be around the people they attract. Fanatasism in any form makes me nervous.............m

Amen brother!..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 10:06   #6

Quote:
I just don't want to have to listen to him tell us all how wonderful he is for having done it.
Well, that's easy enough. If you don't want to hear what he has to say (although I somehow missed the part where he says he's wonderful or superior or anything like that), just don't visit his blog. Bingo: Everybody's happy!

regards,
Mike
MikeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 10:20   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
After 1000days I'd bet he's a bit closer to the edge than most of us. Having said that IMHO just to do something like this trip you are probably a bit closer to the edge than most of us. More power to him. I just don't want to have to listen to him tell us all how wonderful he is for having done it. My brain is bigger than yours, David Koresh messiah/buddah types have always made me want to back slowly from the room. Mostly because I don't want to be around the people they attract. Fanatasism in any form makes me nervous.............m
I tend to agree, but I sense this guy will be addled and incomprehensible, but relatively harmless -- more Deepak Chopra than David Koresh.
Old 30-11-2009, 10:50   #8

Boat: Cal 34
I don't have an issue with he is saying, as far as I am concerned he can meditate all day long. I am however disappointed that he has stopped talking about the vessel and the daily tasks he needs to accomplish to keep his boat afloat for 1000+ days.
S/VSkylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 14:03   #9
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Wow it takes a lot of disaplen to stay onboard for a 1000 days , and medatation is a good way to get it! Ive done some deep medatition wile single handling for 5 days last year and its amazeing how deep you can go- wile alone day after day -Hard to beleave hes out there that long !- my hats off to him, I never thought he would even come close to a 1000 days
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 14:47   #10

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
The crowhurst joke did get me chuckling
Old 30-11-2009, 15:55   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Maybe he's just ramping up the media machine for the last 50 day countdown: Is he mad? Wait till he docks and we'll have exclusive round-the-clock coverage!!!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 16:10   #12

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Didn't Crowhurst start talking to the fish? This guy's gone one better - he's talking to his keel and his GPS. Or rather, imagining he's talking to his keel and GPS

I don't pretend to understand Eastern spiritualism, but don't believe a higher plane of consciousness or true enlightenment is achieved by travelling on a GPS signal. I don't think he gets it either, and his blather is a symptom of "trying too hard." This is just my unqualified opinion. I just wish the guy would try to maintain a lookout.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 16:20   #13

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Been separated from the plot I think.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 20:49   #14

Boat: Cal 34
It's a VERY standard Buddhist practice of "mindfulness". These are the phrases that a Buddhist monk would repeat to himself, or imagery he would imagine in order to focus on meditation.

A guided meditation might sound EXACTLY like his post. Having practiced this kind of meditation, I found the post to be really beautiful.

Apparently, others don't agree. That's too bad.
HobieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2009, 20:51   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Maybe he's just ramping up the media machine for the last 50 day countdown: Is he mad? Wait till he docks and we'll have exclusive round-the-clock coverage!!!
I agree with Mark on this, I'm in the media business.
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote