Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2014, 12:14   #1

Looking to sail in Kona HI

Were heading to Kona next month and I have looked everywhere for a sailing adventure. The only sailing I can find seems to be a little motor sailing to go snorkeling or whale watching. I am looking to sail, not snorkel or whale watch. Anyone know of good day sailing outfit in this area?
bigjer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 12:35   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Looking to sail in Kona HI

Aloha Sailing LLC These are my friends Daniel and Alicia. Even if their package doesn't seem to meet your needs they might be able to fix you up.

kind regards,
Old 19-03-2014, 13:10   #3

Great! Thanks
Old 19-03-2014, 13:45   #4

Boat: irwin 37 center cockpit

my little brother works on a charterboat (65ft mono sloop) and he's in kona right now, boats name is swiftsure. not sure how long they'll be there, but it's easy to chase them down.
fisherman.ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 16:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman.ben View Post
my little brother works on a charterboat (65ft mono sloop) and he's in kona right now, boats name is swiftsure. not sure how long they'll be there, but it's easy to chase them down.
Thanks, I will look it up.
Old 19-03-2014, 16:55   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

There is a 40' plus Catalina that is supposed to be in Charter. No idea of costs, etc. Will see if I can find a number or web address for them the next time I'm down at the Harbor.

Would be happy to take you out but still haven't got the boat back together and will be on the mainland much of next month.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 17:02   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
There is a 40' plus Catalina that is supposed to be in Charter. No idea of costs, etc. Will see if I can find a number or web address for them the next time I'm down at the Harbor.

Would be happy to take you out but still haven't got the boat back together and will be on the mainland much of next month.
Hey thanks! Am I wrong in that it just seems like everyone wants to snorkel and whale watch? Is there a slip shortage there or something that makes sailing excursions hard to come by?
Old 19-03-2014, 18:01   #8
Moderator Emeritus

MAJOR slip shortage in Kona. Waiting list over 5 years for 30'-40' slip and forever for anything larger at Honokohau, the only small boat harbor here. Commercial slips are buyable but prices are well into 6 figures and come with a ton of requirements from the State. Can't legally do anything for hire without a commercial slip and it just isn't economically feasible to buy a commercial slip for just sailing, You'd need to be very dedicated and well funded to make a commercial slip work or independently wealthy which most of the larger fishing boat owners are. Mostly power boats in Honokohau Harbor dedicated to fishing, diving, and/or whale watching. The winds in Kona tend to be light and not a sailors delight so not much demand.

Our old Westail 32 ran a dinner cruise for many years and seemed to be successful. Understood their clients were primarily time share condo buyers who got the sail as a perk for buying a slot. Apparently the Time Share sold out or quit offering the sail as an incentive and they shut down the business several years ago. There is a beach cat that works out of Honokohau but it's pretty much a cattle boat and doubt that sailing is a big part of the draw. Think it's mostly a snorkel cruise.

The Hotels up north in South Kohala, oxymoron anyone, all have catamarans that take people out. The winds are more reliable and stronger up there which makes the sailing more exhilarating. Those cats are moored offshore and often pull into the beach to load their clients. Call one of the hotels, Outrigger Waikoloa, Mauna Lani or Mauna Kea Hotels, they should have information on going out on those boats.
Old 19-03-2014, 18:16   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
MAJOR slip shortage in Kona. Waiting list over 5 years for 30'-40' slip and forever for anything larger at Honokohau, the only small boat harbor here. Commercial slips are buyable but prices are well into 6 figures and come with a ton of requirements from the State. Can't legally do anything for hire without a commercial slip and it just isn't economically feasible to buy a commercial slip for just sailing, You'd need to be very dedicated and well funded to make a commercial slip work or independently wealthy which most of the larger fishing boat owners are. Mostly power boats in Honokohau Harbor dedicated to fishing, diving, and/or whale watching. The winds in Kona tend to be light and not a sailors delight so not much demand.

Our old Westail 32 ran a dinner cruise for many years and seemed to be successful. Understood their clients were primarily time share condo buyers who got the sail as a perk for buying a slot. Apparently the Time Share sold out or quit offering the sail as an incentive and they shut down the business several years ago. There is a beach cat that works out of Honokohau but it's pretty much a cattle boat and doubt that sailing is a big part of the draw. Think it's mostly a snorkel cruise.

The Hotels up north in South Kohala, oxymoron anyone, all have catamarans that take people out. The winds are more reliable and stronger up there which makes the sailing more exhilarating. Those cats are moored offshore and often pull into the beach to load their clients. Call one of the hotels, Outrigger Waikoloa, Mauna Lani or Mauna Kea Hotels, they should have information on going out on those boats.
As ever, Peter O. nailed it. I'm on the other side of the island and there is an illegal sail charter working out of Hilo Bay. He has a Hunter of some such length and takes folks out. No bareboats here.

Our club has boats from 10 to 26 feet but I don't know what days you'll be in Kona and whether or not you have a car. Our sailing days are the first and third Sundays and the second Saturday. There are always folks willing to take you out if you introduce yourself. It is a 200 mile roundtrip drive to Hilo from Kona. Na Hoa Holomoku of Hawaii Yacht Club
Old 19-03-2014, 18:52   #10

Thanks, I will look into those!
Old 19-03-2014, 18:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
As ever, Peter O. nailed it. I'm on the other side of the island and there is an illegal sail charter working out of Hilo Bay. He has a Hunter of some such length and takes folks out. No bareboats here.

Our club has boats from 10 to 26 feet but I don't know what days you'll be in Kona and whether or not you have a car. Our sailing days are the first and third Sundays and the second Saturday. There are always folks willing to take you out if you introduce yourself. It is a 200 mile roundtrip drive to Hilo from Kona. Na Hoa Holomoku of Hawaii Yacht Club
Great, we will be there the 4th-13th and have a rental car waiting
Old 22-03-2014, 17:58   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The Catalina for charter I mentioned earlier is called Imagine. Website is info@hawaiiislandsailing.com. Phone is 808 938-7272.
Old 22-03-2014, 19:35   #13
Moderator Emeritus

The website is actually hawaiiislandsailing.com
Old 24-03-2014, 16:14   #14

Quote:
The website is actually hawaiiislandsailing.com
Thank you! Wish we had another couple to help share the bill. Looks like it's an all or nothing kind of thing. I think I will call and see if they can keep us in mind if another couple calls looking to go out.

Tags
sail