Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2016, 15:08   #1

Looking for info about a 1985 Ticon 30?

I saw one of these for sale, but can find very little information on the net about these boats. I know they only made about 35 in Canada. I found the specs on sailnet and a little history back to Chrysler. I know the quality improved after production moved to Canada. That's about all I could find. Has anyone owned one? Know anything about build quality? Issues to look for etc. Thanks for any info you might can provide. David
davidbayfield25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 19:04   #2

Boat: H36
Re: Looking for info about a 1985 Ticon 30?

The boat next to me is a t30 owner is new to sailing. I went sailing teaching with him. Nice sailing fraction rig boat. The only down side is that a lot of the interior is finished in carpet something a little talc would fix.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 19:50   #3

Thanks Doug. The interiors were customized to the owners preference when built, I have been told. So I guess they are all different. The one I am looking at is very nice inside, with a lot of teak. Glad to hear that it sail's well. Can you tell me anything about the quality of construction? Is it like a Catalina /Hunter or more like a Pacific Seacraft / Island Packet? The boat I'm looking at that is for sale is 850 miles away from me. I'm attracted to this boat because of the wide beam and shoal draft. It seams roomy for a 30 ft boat. I also like the rear 1/4 berth and enclosed V-berth. I wan't to use it as a live-aboard 2 or 3 months of the year in the Key's and Bahama's. Thanks for your reply. David
Old 20-03-2016, 20:13   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Did you see this site?
Ticon Sailboat Home Page, Ticon 30, Ticon 27, Ticon 34, Chrysler 30, TMI 30, Sailboats, T-30, Sail Nautical
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 20:26   #5

Yes I did, Thanks
Old 20-03-2016, 20:53   #6

11' beam on 30 footer, wow! looks like a lot of space. Good luck if you decide to buy!
Positive article here with a couple of things to look out for.

Ticon 30
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 04:33   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, David.

Ticon 30 Review ➥ Ticon 30

Ticon Owners Association ➥ Ticon Sailboat Home Page, Ticon 30, Ticon 27, Ticon 34, Chrysler 30, TMI 30, Sailboats, T-30, Sail Nautical

Survey Report (by CF member Wallace Gouk - “BoatPoker”) ➥ http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/A%20TICON%20%20%2030.pdf

Specs ➥ TICON 30 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 06:41   #8

Boat: H36

Their are two t30's in my marine. Neither one has any structural problems and the glass looks good. Rigging looks heaven enough. Both boats lack proper main reefing and not enough points. I believe this is because owners not realizing fractional rig boats require this or they were not sailed much.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 11:31   #9

Boat: Douglas 32

My friend has one, and we sailed the length of Lake Ontaio together, my Douglas 32 keeping up with his Ticon unless he had the spiniker up! Good construction, VERY roomy down below, big head layout, small v berth. Very large companionway, big cockpit, original rigging and engine. He has done some multiple week cruising on it in the last 10 years, no problems.
Kim Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 23:58   #10

I've owned my '86 Ticon for 27 years with no significant issues. Similar in size to a Catalina 30 but much nicer interior and more modern hull. Fractional rig with moderate sail area, similar speed to a Catalina 30 tall rig. Stick-built, so you have good access to everything. Designed by Halsey Herreshoff as a Chrysler 30 but was first built by Texas Marine Industries as a TMI-30, and then the molds went to the Toronto area and became the Ticon 30. I've sailed mine on Lake Ontario and the Pacific Northwest and I'm quite happy with it. A comfortable and roomy boat, very nice wood interior, good equipment, good anchoring system (big anchor locker, substantial anchor roller), very maneuverable in marinas, heavy lead keel and keel-stepped mast, lots of opening hatches and portlights. A good boat for areas such as the Great Lakes, Pacific Northwest, Bahamas, etc. If I was crossing an ocean, I'd prefer a Pacific Seacraft.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 06:05   #11

Colin, Thanks for your input. I want one of these. The responses and information from here have been VERY helpful. My plans are just to sail the Bahama's, not cross oceans. Catamarans are not within my budget, and most mono-hulls in this price range are not as well made. The big feature that attracts me is the 11 ft beam. The extra room I think will make a big difference when staying on board for an extended time. I also like the shoal draft. The engine compartment seams to have decent access, and opening ports should provide good ventilation. The version I am looking at has a V berth. Some have described it as small. Does it have room for a 6 ft person to stretch out? I also don't know much about the shower in the head. Is it cramped? One last thing. Where is the propane locker? I have not seen one on any of the boats I have looked at so far. I know the boat for sale was converted from LP. The Broker for that boat says a prospect is flying in today to inspect it, so I imagine if it is as described it will be sold. No matter what happens with that boat, I have decided a Ticon 30 built in Canada is what I'm looking for. I have been sailing my Bayfield 25 for years, and considered many boats to replace it when I retire. This fits my criteria better than any other to date. Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this post, I have responded to all, but not sure if everyone received my replies. Now the goal is to find a boat! Being in Alabama, and having most of the available boats in Canada, that may be a challenge.
Old 22-03-2016, 07:03   #12

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

My neighbour has one. Chainplates leak badly but it might just be him. In any event I would look closely at the chainplates.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 22-03-2016, 09:02   #13

David,
My boat has two single berths in the bow, (over and under pullman berth) so I can't comment on the size of the V-berth. Unless you have children cruising with you, I think that the V-berth is a better option. My boat has 2 propane lockers at the stern, but the details of these boats evolved over the years so I suggest that you ask for photos of the boat in question. I'm surprised by the shoal draft comment - I know that there were a few built with shoal draft, but mine draws 5'6". And yes, you do have to keep an eye on the chainplates and from time to time recaulk where they enter the deck.

I wouldn't put too much priority on the beam statistic. With any boat that you are considering, look at the interior layout to see how well it will work for you. I've never used the shower (a lot humidity on a small boat), but I will say that the doorways in that area are not wide so if you are Hulk Hogan this might not be the boat for you.

While I have been very happy with my boat, I'm sure that if I had chosen something similar (a CS, C&C, etc) I would probably be equally satisfied. For a boat this age, as long as the overall design suits your cruising style, the most important factor is the condition of the boat. I would encourage you to look at boats closer to home. While I like my boat, I can't imagine that it is unique enough to ship it to Alabama. That being said, boats in southern Ontario tend to be in good condition due to fresh water, relatively dry conditions and few insects and other critters, but watch out for ice damage if the boat wasn't winterized properly. And currency exchange rates are in your favour.
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 10:35   #14

This boat draws 3'11". I like the layout (We both snore) so having a door at the V birth & Head can block sound from the 1/4 birth. and this boat also has a cockpit shower. Talked to the broker today and it is currently available. I agree that it would be hard to justify purchasing a boat so far away but it is a factor of overall cost and condition when it is all said and done. The exchange rate would also help a little. I will be sure to check the chain plates. I know other boats may be similar and perhaps a better value, but for some reason this boat speaks to me. Go figure. My girlfriend, (Who learned to sail on my Bayfield 25 and now has her own Com-Pac 19} likes most anything that I like. Life is good!