Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2017, 16:52   #1

Boat: Gemini 105M 34ft
Looking 4 the best spots in the Bahamas

My girlfriend and I bought a Catamaran in April and will be sailing the Bahamas for 6/mo starting in October. I would like find out where to start? Will be leaving out of the Miami area. Would like to know where to head and what are the best spots and islands to hit up. We are not looking to party or be in marinas all the time. We want peace and quiet. We love swimming and snorkeling. Info please Thanks
EZ GO N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 18:28   #2

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA
Re: Looking 4 the best spots in the Bahamas

Best beach - south egg island Eluthra. Snorkel the wreck off little egg island.
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 19:02   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
, what are the best spots and islands to hit up
700 Islands in the Bahamas.
No "best spots" really.
Some folks like the Abacos, some like the Exumas.
Perhaps you try a few days in the Bimini area (Near Bahamas) and get your feet
wet. Then slowly explore further, but keep in mind the hurricane season..
Old 04-07-2017, 20:40   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Steve Pavlidis' various guide books and the various Explorer chart kits will provide info that will inspire your own ideas.
Have fun.
Old 04-07-2017, 21:53   #5

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Conventional route is to leave Miami, or maybe a little South of Miami due to the Gulf Stream pushing you North, and check in in Bimini. I like South Bimini at Bimini Sands Marina but plenty of places in North Bimini but it is more crowded and less protected. Then on to Chub or Morgans or straight to New Providence where it is easy to anchor in West Bay. You can then go North to the Berrys and Abacos, straight to Eleuthera in the middle, or South to the Exumas and then the far Bahamas. The key is watching the weather and plan your passages accordingly. All these passages are basically day sails, especially if you leave early.

You may be heading out a little early as the hurricane season is not over yet and you need to keep an eye on the weather. As the fronts come in from the North the sea state will kick up making it a good idea to get the right weather window. As a rule by Thanksgiving you probably want to be South in the Exumas as the cold fronts in the Abacos can make for chilly swimming and mostly likely will stay that way till a big part of February. Even March can be windy and chilly in the North Bahamas. Georgetown is a popular spot to anchor and meet folks who will offer advice and easy access to quick day sails to interesting spots. I am a big fan of the Jumentos which are fairly close by and fairly remote.

As for guides the Explorer Charts are the best, don't leave home with out them. Get some type of tablet and load Active Captain on it. I have an older iPad with the Garmin blue chart and Active Captain on it (the North America option from Garmin costs $US45). There is a ton of info about anchorages, marinas, and food and bar stops from Active Captain and the Garmin offers lots of nav help; not saying it is the only chart plotter I would use but it does make life easier. The Active Captain stuff and the Garmin stuff is integrated; definitely worth it.

Keep in mind the whole idea is to have fun. Don't rush as you may well find anchorages early on where you want to stay for a while. Not to mention you will definitely have some down time when fronts blast through and unless you want to fight the weather your best bet is to find a a well protected lee anchorages and wait the weather out. I suspect once you get to the islands you will meet others who will suggest good places which will cause you to alter any plans you have made in advance.

What ever you do bring plenty of toilet paper as it is expensive and hard to find compared to the US.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:35   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, EZ GO N.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:31   #7

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Once there, monitor the weather and cold front passage. You can typically predict those 96h to 120h in advance ( 4-5 days) so that gives you pleanty of time to reach a safe protected area.

As an example, in the Exumas, there are not so many places protected from SW to NW, since most islands are Nord South oriented, So a litle planning is needed.

All in all, this is a nice playground.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:38   #8

I think it’s hard to beat the run down thru the Exumas. From Georgetown you can head south to real isolated areas, Conception and other places. Head to Bimini from Miami then across the banks to Nassau, then Exumas.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:44   #9

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ GO N View Post
My girlfriend and I bought a Catamaran in April and will be sailing the Bahamas for 6/mo starting in October. I would like find out where to start? Will be leaving out of the Miami area. Would like to know where to head and what are the best spots and islands to hit up. We are not looking to party or be in marinas all the time. We want peace and quiet. We love swimming and snorkeling. Info please Thanks
Wow...sounds like a great plan. I bet your GF is really super pretty too. That settles it, I hate you :-)
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:55   #10

Boat: Dufour 40

I could tell you about some really great anchorages that no-one else visits.

But then I'd have to shoot you.
Lionelsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:04   #11

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

The Bahamas are awesome with some of the prettiest, cleanest and most deserted beaches in the world. If you are into turquoise water and clean sand, you will have an awesome time once you get to the out islands.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:03   #12

Boat: Caliber 47

Quick overview

Check in North Bimini....easy check in....decent marina
1.NE to Great Harbor The Berry's......2-3 nice anchorages
2.South along the Berry's...several nice secluded anchorages
3. Nassau......re-provision...buy fuel
4. Norman Cay......one of the best beaches in Bahamas......go to the back of the lagoon past the airplane....
5. Shroud Cay....great dingy exploring
6. Pipe Cay....more great dingy exploring
7. Staniel Cay / Pig Beach.....have to see the Pigs....Staniel fun at New Years
8. Black Point.....decent anchorage.....place to do laundry.....nice bars
9. LittleFarmers cay.....great beach bar
10. Lots of secluded anchorages between Lil Farmers down to Georgetown....have to go outside (or at least most do)
10 A. Georgetown....some hate it....some come and never leave....good place to provision.....water, fuel.....great place to party....stay a few days to a week and move on.
10 B. Some go to Long Island from Georgetown.....nice place....have to see both sides I feel to trully appreciate.
11. Jamentos....too many great anchorages, beaches , snorkeling etc.....no services, have plenty of fuel and water on board....no internet
12. Conception Island.....if I go back every year to Bahamas I'd go here again and again
12 B. From Jamentos you can then go to Long Island.....then to Conception.
13 Cat Island....Ok place to stop and take break on way to Eleuthra,
14. Eleuthra.....Ok place but not as good as many seem to think.....good restaurants.....
15. Spanish Wells.....worth the stop....good refueling and re-stocking
16. Harbour Island....worth the stop....once....very expensive.....nice beach
17. Abacos.....many good places....a few great places......dont come here until mid-late March.(weather....cold)....your most likely on way home by now.....good "final port of call"

By a good guide book and trust it....they are usually pretty accurate although they will try and scare you out of going certain places.....(like avoiding the Yellow Bank)

Many places I have left off (and you will here these from other folks on this board) but this will get you started.

Enjoy!

Greg
sv Ti Amo
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:19   #13

October, November in Abaco via West End Grand Bahama, easy shot
from Miami. Late November head south to end in Georgetown.
Return via Nassau and Bimini to Fort Lauderdale.
Me,10 seasons in Bahamas. You will find your own favorite spots to return to.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:24   #14

Thank You for the reply. I just want everything to be fun and get everything out of the trip. We plain to do this for a few years in the Bahamas then sailing the world.
Old 05-07-2017, 16:17   #15

You guys are great. Thank You for all the reply's. We are so excited to head out and just stop and enjoy life.

Tags
Bahamas