Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2015, 13:14   #16
Registered User
 
leftbrainstuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: San Francisco and Australia
Boat: Liberty 458
Posts: 1,978
Re: Longevity of truck PVC tarp in the tropics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Hi,

I am considering of getting a stackpack (=the permanent fixed combination of lazyjack & sailcover).

As I am on a budget and this cover stays fixed on the boom, I am wondering if it could not be made of the same material trucks use to cover the loading bay.
Usually it is a PVC covered cloth.

It is surely heavier than Sunbrella but material costs will be a fraction.

Just not sure how well it lasts in tropical sunlight.
Anyone has experience/tried this?

Along the lower edge I will have a mesh strip for aeration.

The PVC material is fully waterproof.
By the way, any recommendations on weather Velcro or a heavy duty zipper is better (longevity)for closing the stackpack?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Franziska
Those tarps wont last long in the tropics. Sunbrella is pretty hard to beat.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 15:00   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,105
Re: Longevity of truck PVC tarp in the tropics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Hi,

I am considering of getting a stackpack (=the permanent fixed combination of lazyjack & sailcover).

As I am on a budget and this cover stays fixed on the boom, I am wondering if it could not be made of the same material trucks use to cover the loading bay.
Usually it is a PVC covered cloth.

It is surely heavier than Sunbrella but material costs will be a fraction.

Just not sure how well it lasts in tropical sunlight.
Anyone has experience/tried this?

Along the lower edge I will have a mesh strip for aeration.

The PVC material is fully waterproof.
By the way, any recommendations on weather Velcro or a heavy duty zipper is better (longevity)for closing the stackpack?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Franziska
We got about two years max out of the blue and green pvc tarps in Hawaii. By that time they are sun rotted and leave scads of small flakes all over the place. Lasts about one year if your exposed to strong trade winds. Since they have very little stretch, the grommets tend to rip out within a year's time if exposed to constant trades. Finally, they do not allow moisture to excape so you will run into moisture(mold) problems.
__________________

__________________
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 16:58   #18
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,713
Re: Longevity of truck PVC tarp in the tropics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
We got about two years max out of the blue and green pvc tarps in Hawaii. By that time they are sun rotted and leave scads of small flakes all over the place.
That's the real bitch! The stuff is a real PITA as soon as it starts breaking down - long before its end of life.
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 17:42   #19
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 559
Re: Longevity of truck PVC tarp in the tropics?

Franziska unless the truck tarps you are talking about, are different, than the ones here in the states, I would not recommend them, as they do not like to have creases in them! It creates stress areas, that will weaken the pvc laminate. The tarps are meant for more straight line pulls, if you understand what I'm talking about. To use them for a sail cover, they would be contorted in shape! I understand you would have them/it made to fit, but nothing fits exactly right, which is the draw back with this type of material! This from experience, as I was in the field, of trucking for 40 yrs.
Also I would be concerned about sweating, at the up side inside.
__________________
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 23:25   #20
Registered User
 
Franziska's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Harlingen, The Netherlands
Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Posts: 513
Re: Longevity of truck PVC tarp in the tropics?

Hi everybody, got the drift. Not gonna use the PVC.Thanks everybody!
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 10:22   #21
Moderator
 
cabo_sailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tarpon Springs FL
Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Posts: 1,905
Re: Longevity of truck PVC tarp in the tropics?

I'm not a fan of stack packs. Seems to me that opening in the top lets in rain, which promotes mold and mildew. Just now thinking of it, do stack packs cause chafe on the sail as the wind shifts the pack back and forth???

Rich
__________________
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 10:28   #22
Registered User
 
Franziska's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Harlingen, The Netherlands
Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Posts: 513
Re: Longevity of truck PVC tarp in the tropics?

Mine would have two flaps on the upper inside with a zip or heavy duty velcro so that it can be closed.
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 15:57   #23
Registered User
 
tbodine88's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin TX
Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Posts: 720
Re: Longevity of truck PVC tarp in the tropics?

I live in Texas. I have replaced the tarp for my boat with those cheap plastic covers from Home Depot every few months to a year. This year I sprang for a Vinyl cover. It seems to be holding up great. The only problem of course is that vinyl covers are four times more expensive. I have a small boat.
__________________
Frimi Captain
Tom Bodine
tbodine88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 12:29   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,105
Re: Longevity of truck PVC tarp in the tropics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
I live in Texas. I have replaced the tarp for my boat with those cheap plastic covers from Home Depot every few months to a year. This year I sprang for a Vinyl cover. It seems to be holding up great. The only problem of course is that vinyl covers are four times more expensive. I have a small boat.
Which is why sunbrella and similar canvases are best buys since they last about 10 years in subtropic environments, are water resistant, and allow moisture to flow through to prevent mildew buildup.
__________________
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 12:36   #25
Guy
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: So. Oregon, USA
Boat: Seafarer36c
Posts: 4,308
Re: Longevity of truck PVC tarp in the tropics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Which is why sunbrella and similar canvases are best buys since they last about 10 years in subtropic environments, are water resistant, and allow moisture to flow through to prevent mildew buildup.
I've never seen stitching last anywhere near that long. I hope Sunbrella does not allow moisture to "flow through". I use our bimini as a rain catchment. It stays pretty dry on the bottom side.
__________________
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 16:19   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,105
Re: Longevity of truck PVC tarp in the tropics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I've never seen stitching last anywhere near that long. I hope Sunbrella does not allow moisture to "flow through". I use our bimini as a rain catchment. It stays pretty dry on the bottom side.
Had sunbrella dodgers, sail covers, and bimini, never had a problem with it letting water through. You do want moisture to get through, like goretex does, in order to prevent mildrew and other nasty stuff growing in an air tight environment. BTW: the blue or green sunbrella seems to last longer than the white. Practical Sailor did a whole research on this issue. In any event, plastic tarps are not the way to go in hot and sunny climates, regardless of price.
__________________

__________________
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water catcher tarp design needed Marionwyatt49 Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 11 09-03-2013 10:02
Possible to Use Blue Plastic Poly Tarp for Series Drogue Cones ? Scare_Rab Seamanship & Boat Handling 11 16-02-2010 15:16
Shrink Wrap vs Tarp unbusted67 Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations 33 01-01-2010 21:13
Tarp is off! Wohoo! knottybuoyz Great Lakes 22 04-05-2009 09:20



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:54.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.