Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2016, 01:43   #46

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat
Re: Long, long, long boat projects

recently re fitted now starting regular maintenance/ enjoy
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 08:49   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Happy boaters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160820_192824.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	412.0 KB
ID:	129889   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160820_195711.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	129890  

skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 09:50   #48

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

im 4 years in. completely gutted to bare hull and deck. major mods completed...
repair encapsulate keel, new laminated floors, 8 primary bulkheads, raise salon coach roof, extend fore-peak, add sprit receiver, new rudder build, add lazarette/propane locker, cockpit re-work for tiller, glassed hull/deck joint. sure im forgetting a few. i figure im 71% sail ready then two more years making things pretty and cruise ready.

although ive done this kind of work for years, and comfortably had my head around it from the start, im constantly amazed at the ridiculous amount of time it takes me to complete most jobs. im always losing time to "analysis paralysis" where i want to do something but it affects half a dozen future projects and all those decisions have to be made now before i can do this small thing so i dont screw myself two years from now. its exhausting. very hard working without a net so-to-speak, no assembly manual or previous build to reference. but still a ton of fun.

disagree with the caution against having a boat project in your backyard, its the only way id take on something like this. if i had to commute to a boat yard and set up tools and lock up at the end of the day id never get anything done. as it is i get something done every day, i can walk out my back door and get right to work because the boat/shop/tools are all right there. sometimes i get into a lamination schedule that requires a new layer every two hours and i can do that all night long. its convenient as hell.

bottom line for me is i know every inch of my boat and when things get serious im not going to be worried about weather an hourly laminator was having a bad day, or a bit of kit was installed incorrectly. probably have over-built on certain areas, but peace of mind is priceless.

but you gotta love doing the work, otherwise its a special kind of misery.
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 10:10   #49

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
In honor of the launch and successful test drive of my 7 1/2 year boat project I wonder how many others have seen through a long term boat project and what was involved. I guess I'm thinking about project boats and not building from scratch. I've read about a couple of those that lasted 20-30 years.

I already know 7 1/2 years isn't close to a record on a project. Met a couple at the marina when I launched who had a friend that just launched after a ten year overhaul.

The main things done on the boat.

1. Engine and drive train. Original engine but stripped down to the bare block, cleaned and painted, both pumps new, cleaned and repainted all heat exchangers (oil, transmission and engine), new brackets for some of the accessories, new alternator, all new wiring. New cutlass bearing. Rebuild stuffing box.

2. Fridge. The biggest single project in terms of time. Involved cutting apart the old box to get it out of the boat, taking apart the cabinets in the galley, sealing, lining and insulating the cabinet. Glassing the old box back together but a bit smaller to allow for more insulation. This had to happen inside the boat since it wouldn't fit in the companionway whole. Then rebuilding the cabinets and making a new lid.

2. Electrical. Lots of new wiring, new inverter/charger, new LED lights. 135 W solar panel (probably more to come). Overhauled windlass. New tricolor and anchor lights. New mast wiring including installation of a wiring conduit in the mast.

3. Electronics. New VHF, used SSB, new plotter.

4. Plumbing. Three new bilge pumps; two 4000 gph Rules for emergency pumps, Whale for everyday. New pressure pump, new sump pump, new washdown pump. Rebuilt the two manual bilge pumps. New drinking water filtration, new hot water heater. Replaced all the hoses.

5. Sails and rigging. New main, new 135 genoa. All new rigging including chainplates and turnbuckles. Strong track system for the main. New Harket roller furling. All new running rigging.

6. Peal and seal on the bottom.

7. Interior. New overhead in main cabin. About 2/3 of the paneling replaced. Seven new SS ports installed (three more to go). New upholstery.

8. Miscellaneous. Countless hours cleaning 30 years of oil, crud and sludge from then bilges. Remove old foam backed vinyl siding from cabinets. New SS backing plates and rebedded all stanchions and davits. Rebedded all other deck hardware (which included a little core drying and replacement here and there).

Of course dozens and dozens of other small projects to go along and some of these aren't totally finished.

So, who else has gone through a multiyear boat overhaul? Or who has started one and abandoned the job as too much?
First, congratulations. I have built 2 steel sailboats of my own, helped on another, each one being 2+years back to back. Then a 34 chainsaw rebuild, 3 years, then my Ingrid 38, 2 year rebuild, my Rawson 30, 1 year and finally the Hallberg Rassy, 2 years and out cruising. So 12 years of rebuilding over a 40 year span. Yes, I'm demented. Hope to see you out there some day.

Quote:
Regret to say I was so busy working I really neglected to take many photos of the work in progress. 20/20 hindsight that would have been a good idea.
If no pictures, it didn't happen...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 14:29   #50

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Well done , hearty congratulations Skipmac!
Only those who have made the inexorable journey can fully appreciate the mixture of emotions on launch.
Many times I wanted to quit.

Eleven years to the month!
The plan was a quick & dirty three month repair.
The well laid plans of mice & men.........or some such.
I'm sure I'm a mouse...how come it cost so much...& took sooo long?
I have to physically stop myself going down that rabbit hole....

Stopped updating 4yrs ago as I focused on the todo's.

https://boatfolly.shutterfly.com/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	launch.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	423.3 KB
ID:	129926  
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 01:43   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

A major exercise is abandoning prior ideas and concepts to go with a new approach. It pains me to remove what didn't work only to realize how much time, materials, and money went in the wrong direction.

So many simple things can easily consume hours and hours. Lately I have decided my engine needs a new damper plate. I have wasted hours trying to figure out what size my flywheel is, and in theory could have by now dropped the tranny to find out. Problem is I have never dropped one before before and engine is big.

But like so many things the task seems bigger until you begin.

I do know the damper plate is going to cost $500. Groan.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2016, 05:48   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockabout View Post
recently re fitted now starting regular maintenance/ enjoy
Regular maintenance. That's like a refit done a little bit at a time instead of all at once.
Old 23-08-2016, 05:54   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
A major exercise is abandoning prior ideas and concepts to go with a new approach. It pains me to remove what didn't work only to realize how much time, materials, and money went in the wrong direction.
I had a few of those during my overhaul.

Unfortunately by the time I realized another approach would be easier/better/faster/cheaper I was so far into that part of the project that I couldn't go back.

Fortunately there were only two of those that were major projects that cost mainly a lot of extra time to finish.

The problem is, sometimes you just don't know how a particular solution will work out until you try it. Since so many of the things you do on an overhaul are one time and the exact solution unique to a particular boat, it's impossible to benefit from experience.
Old 23-08-2016, 06:04   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
Well done , hearty congratulations Skipmac!
Only those who have made the inexorable journey can fully appreciate the mixture of emotions on launch.
Many times I wanted to quit.

Eleven years to the month!
The plan was a quick & dirty three month repair.
The well laid plans of mice & men.........or some such.
I'm sure I'm a mouse...how come it cost so much...& took sooo long?
I have to physically stop myself going down that rabbit hole....

Stopped updating 4yrs ago as I focused on the todo's.

https://boatfolly.shutterfly.com/
11 years! 3 1/2 years longer than my project. About three years was the upper limit of my original time estimate for doing my boat.

Never got to the point that I wanted to quit but there were times when I wondered if I would ever finish.

One major factor, I live over an hour from the nearest boat yard with ocean access so I had a major strategic decision to make. I did decide from the start that I would truck the boat to my property 15 minutes from home but from there I had two options. I could do the bare minimum to get the boat safely functional, haul it back to the boat yard and commute to finish the job but have use of the boat. Or I could leave the boat close to home and finish all the main projects before hauling the boat away. No use of the boat but much easier to continue work.

For a number of reasons I decided on the second option which resulted in a much longer stay on the hard but in the long run I think it paid off. Already I'm hating the hour and fifteen minute commute to the boat. If I had tried that for a few years my project would have ended up 11 years and then some.
Old 23-08-2016, 10:27   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
First, congratulations. I have built 2 steel sailboats of my own, helped on another, each one being 2+years back to back. Then a 34 chainsaw rebuild, 3 years, then my Ingrid 38, 2 year rebuild, my Rawson 30, 1 year and finally the Hallberg Rassy, 2 years and out cruising. So 12 years of rebuilding over a 40 year span. Yes, I'm demented. Hope to see you out there some day.

If no pictures, it didn't happen...
I'm working on some "after" pictures. Do I have to have "before" photos as well????
Old 23-08-2016, 10:34   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwilk37 View Post
im 4 years in. completely gutted to bare hull and deck. major mods completed...
repair encapsulate keel, new laminated floors, 8 primary bulkheads, raise salon coach roof, extend fore-peak, add sprit receiver, new rudder build, add lazarette/propane locker, cockpit re-work for tiller, glassed hull/deck joint. sure im forgetting a few. i figure im 71% sail ready then two more years making things pretty and cruise ready.

although ive done this kind of work for years, and comfortably had my head around it from the start, im constantly amazed at the ridiculous amount of time it takes me to complete most jobs. im always losing time to "analysis paralysis" where i want to do something but it affects half a dozen future projects and all those decisions have to be made now before i can do this small thing so i dont screw myself two years from now. its exhausting. very hard working without a net so-to-speak, no assembly manual or previous build to reference. but still a ton of fun.

disagree with the caution against having a boat project in your backyard, its the only way id take on something like this. if i had to commute to a boat yard and set up tools and lock up at the end of the day id never get anything done. as it is i get something done every day, i can walk out my back door and get right to work because the boat/shop/tools are all right there. sometimes i get into a lamination schedule that requires a new layer every two hours and i can do that all night long. its convenient as hell.

bottom line for me is i know every inch of my boat and when things get serious im not going to be worried about weather an hourly laminator was having a bad day, or a bit of kit was installed incorrectly. probably have over-built on certain areas, but peace of mind is priceless.

but you gotta love doing the work, otherwise its a special kind of misery.
Sounds like your project will take about as long as mine and I didn't come close to gutting the hull.

I understand about the analysis paralysis. There were some projects, like the new box and insulation for the fridge, that I spent almost as much time on the thinking and planning as I did the implementation. It that case it really paid off as I avoided any major uhohs like0" I should have done this before I did that and now I have to take this apart to fit that in."
Old 23-08-2016, 12:30   #57

Quote:
I'm working on some "after" pictures. Do I have to have "before" photos as well????
No...Just pictures of a smile on your face, beer in your hand and significant other buy your side. Maybe display a few scars while you're at it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 23-08-2016, 12:35   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
No...Just pictures of a smile on your face, beer in your hand and significant other buy your side. Maybe display a few scars while you're at it.
Do psychological scars count?
Old 23-08-2016, 15:43   #59

Quote:
Do psychological scars count?
I thought a boat project was a labor of love...lol
Old 23-08-2016, 15:54   #60

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

skipmac...

i just opted for one of these. made by NATLUNA built-in but removable, 12vdc/120vac, pretty efficient too. dometic, norcold, engle and whynter make similar ones. but then again i had the luxury of a bare hull and could plan the galley around the fridge and center-line sink.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	refer.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	130029  
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
project