Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2011, 13:23   #121

Boat: Haida 26
Re: Long Distance Solo Sailing

Truly the American way, What's wrong with this???????????

if..if..if..if..if..if..if..if..if..if..if..if..if ..if..if..if..if..if..if..if..if..if..if..if..if.. if..if..if..

When does the If stop......................
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 14:03   #122

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Now imagine a showery moonless night, you asleep, lights went out, and then BANG comes my little ship out of the drizzle (reduced visibility) and I crash into your ship.

Unlikely.

Were it to happen I would both sue you and kick your ass.

b.
And if both of you hadn't have been sounding propger horn signals every couple of minutes? Hope you guys get loud horns as well as automated systems for sounding them when the crew is asleep.

I wonder what the proportion of long-distance, single-handed sailors sound their horns during reduced visibility while they're asleep. How many of you sailors can sleep while a horn goes off just feet from your heads three times every couple of minutes?
Old 20-04-2011, 14:25   #123

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Well, if the sea is calm you are unlikely to lay hove to.

If you are asleep than you do not know if your lights are blazing or just went out.

If you are down below, you are not keeping proper watch.

The bigger issue is such things like to add up.

Now imagine a showery moonless night, you asleep, lights went out, and then BANG comes my little ship out of the drizzle (reduced visibility) and I crash into your ship.

Unlikely.

Were it to happen I would both sue you and kick your ass.

b.
You cup half empty people really impress the heck outta me.

And you wouldn't/ Couldn't kick my A$$ you'd be to busy trying to save your boat from sinking tough guy...

Let's see 600 amp hour battery bank to LED'S that burn about 5 watts a night hooked to solar panels and a wind generator and using propane to boil water for coffee.
Ya your right I don't know what could have happened to make the batteries discharge like that, or all the bulbs including the solar lamps (with upgraded batteries so they will last the night) that burned out all at once.
Come on people most sailors are more then careful out there. Some times life just throws you a curve ball. It's a PITA but it happens.

And you didn't answer the question presented by our OP. A drunk captain tripping in an anchorage doing 100 mph. Remember? I'm waiting!
Old 20-04-2011, 14:54   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

We have a choice here, just like at sea. Keep it civil or the thread get's closed.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 14:57   #125

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Joshua Slocum is turning over in his grave. Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom!
Joshua Slocum did not have to contend with the size, quantity and speed of the vessels of today.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 15:02   #126

Talking Re: Long Distance Solo Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post

Himself's favorite...
I prefer the 2 litre jug with the plastic bail.
Old 20-04-2011, 15:08   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
Hey, moderators, John A's post really ought to go in the cruising-sailors 'best practices' thread. Postings only by Moderators, all the thing we applaud and wish we could find again, but never can.
Not recommended practices, just the best way to do it if you really have to.
The one to add is that if one is "exhausted" and in a shipping lane it is worth advising local shipping by radio that you are out of control and "A HAZARD TO NAVIGATION AT POSITION x.xx y.yy"
Vessels in the lane will pass the message to each other and none have any excuse if they should cause you harm.
Wouldn't that be an invite to the coasties? They may or may not have any excuse but you may not be around to hear them if you do get run down.
Old 20-04-2011, 15:19   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Have done this in the Biscay when caught by a SE 70+kts and forced to lay a-hull as the wind was just knocking us of the top of vertical waves... blown into shipping lanes so call a ship and asked for a "vessel not under command" alert.
This was forwarded to Ushant and Finisterre.... ships steered wide of us with the occasional one circling and asking if all was still well... then forwarding new position.
Gotta love 'real' seamen....
My thoughts exactly. Broadcast a securite message giving lat. long and speed and direction of drift.
Old 20-04-2011, 15:21   #129

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
We have a choice here, just like at sea. Keep it civil or the thread get's closed.
Back to the original question. I think a sub-forum for singlehandling would be great, if you could find a way to keep the self-righteous from giving their negitive opinions on the subject on a sub-forum dedicted to the positive aspects of the subject'.

Singlehandling is a time tested way for people to move a boat from one place to another.
People who take sailing classes, buy a boat, and take an extended vacation on that boat does not qualify them to pass judgement on something they don't understand.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 15:44   #130

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Back to the original question. I think a sub-forum for singlehandling would be great, if you could find a way to keep the self-righteous from giving their negitive opinions on the subject on a sub-forum dedicted to the positive aspects of the subject'.

Singlehandling is a time tested way for people to move a boat from one place to another.
People who take sailing classes, buy a boat, and take an extended vacation on that boat does not qualify them to pass judgement on something they don't understand.
Amen, Brother.............
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 15:45   #131

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Wouldn't that be an invite to the coasties? They may or may not have any excuse but you may not be around to hear them if you do get run down.
coasties you say? Y'all talking about our USCG?

One night I was dozing in the cockpit headed south after avoiding the shoal area to the east of St. Croxi.
All of a sudden a inflatable appeared on my port quarter with eight or nine men standing in their boat and blinding me with their flashlights and yelling.
Scared the crap out of me. Their 41 footer was behaind us with no lights.
After they boarded my boat they identified themselves as USCG. They took down my passport and registration info. The oldest, a 21 year old ensign made some noises about old farts singlehandling and the departed with out futher inspection.
As they left one of them admitted that they had done it for the practice.

Yeh I got run down--twice and yer right the coasties were not around.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 16:20   #132

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
And here we revert to an arguement in a previous thread...
How would you rig your lights while hove to at night...
and how many people on crewed boats would have the smallest idea of what your lights meant...
How about big blinking red lights that said something like this?:

SLEEPINGsleepingSLEEPINGsleepingSLEEPING

Or maybe just: ZZZZZZZZZ

Okay, forget it...
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 16:24   #133

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
You cup half empty people really impress the heck outta me.

And you wouldn't/ Couldn't kick my A$$ you'd be to busy trying to save your boat from sinking tough guy...

Let's see 600 amp hour battery bank to LED'S that burn about 5 watts a night hooked to solar panels and a wind generator and using propane to boil water for coffee.
Ya your right I don't know what could have happened to make the batteries discharge like that, or all the bulbs including the solar lamps (with upgraded batteries so they will last the night) that burned out all at once.
Come on people most sailors are more then careful out there. Some times life just throws you a curve ball. It's a PITA but it happens.

And you didn't answer the question presented by our OP. A drunk captain tripping in an anchorage doing 100 mph. Remember? I'm waiting!
As any rational person can see... (IF they look back at the reference I made to what happened to my first boat, and put the comment into context), is this:

When I was told by a previous poster that: "the odds of a collision at sea with another small boat were a million to one", I told my anchor disaster story as an example of something that also seems like a million to one against... Yet it happened! YOU DON"T REALLY KNOW THE ODDS! Repeatedly making fun of my comment, as if I thought it had any "direct bearing" on single handing at sea, falls into the same category as those who made light of the worst financial loss of my life, (taking many years to recover from)... That category is: petty, irrelevant to the conversation, and mean spirited.

The "original point" I tried to make, was that what was once considered a really cool "adventurers stunt", in an open ocean with ships, but VERY few small pleasure boats, is now in an ocean with perhaps 1,000% more boats. GPS changed everything, VS 35 years ago! The odds of collision at sea have gone up exponentially. I have almost been hit on more than one occasion, by a boat with no one on watch. It was a week out at sea, and NOT on a cruise ship, as was suggested... (Which I've never been on). Some of these guys that sleep underway have very little electronics or even reliable running lights! In fact, of the dozen or so single handers I have met personally, NONE have had fancy electronics to help stand watch. They just go to sleep when they feel like it, and take their chances. They double MY risk too when they do this! THERE IS A LOT OF TRAFFIC TO AND FROM, AS WELL AS UP AND DOWN BOTH SIDES OF THE CARIBBEAN, even several days out.

It is clear from many posters here that this is true. Several have said that they do this, and with ritciousness indignation, they feel justified! (NO RADAR guard zone... nothing!)

When operating ones boat... Avoiding collision is the responsibility of the skippers of BOTH boats. Sometimes one boat's "watch" has gone below to get a cup of soup, for one or two minutes at the time. Sometimes they are sick & disoriented, or the weather and visibility very bad. Sometimes ones batteries are low, and lights out or dim. Sometimes a boat (like mine), is made of thin 3/8" plywood, making it both very vulnerable to even minor collisions, and a poor RADAR image. It might well not show up, if the other guy tweaks out his RADAR's sea clutter, in 10' seas.

If both boats have someone more or less "on watch", then the odds of one of these circumstances making BOTH of them unaware of the approaching boat, AT THE SAME MOMENT IN TIME, are quite slim. Regardless, it is the best we can do, if both boats have someone on watch!

To state that sailing your boat on autopilot, while you sleep, doesn't increase the risk for "the other guy" as well, is pure rationalization! To do this puts 100% of the responsibility to avoid collision, on the other guy. IMO... it is selfish and irresponsible to make the decision for them. It isn't just your risk. it is a shared risk.

I was never directing my comments to you guys determined to do this. (I'll just be more vigilant looking out for you, since you aren't looking for me).
I was directing my comments to those who were on the fence about this, in hopes that they would look at alternative plans. Otherwise they are doing what so many people do... living their life at other peoples expense.

When we are traversing one of the Earth's "shared spaces", we DO have a responsibility to one another, weather you acknowledge that or not...

For those "few" single handers who REALLY HAVE found a reliable way to get around the sleep issue, have tested their RADAR's guard zone when passing even small wooden boats, know that they will set it off, the alarm is close & loud enough to wake you, and your system REALLY is close to "being on watch"... I sincerely apologize to you! It is not fair to lump you in with the majority, who have not determined these things in any way, don't stand watch, (single handed or otherwise), and just don't care.

I have nothing more to say on the subject. M.
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 16:40   #134

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Ps nobodies pissing on me either. !
Dave

How do you know? I mean really, you might have been sleeping when they pissed all over you...
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 16:49   #135

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post

And you didn't answer the question presented by our OP. A drunk captain tripping in an anchorage doing 100 mph.
I am all for the vendetta way of dealing with any such - why waste the cruising kitty on lawyers. Especially that someone tripping in an anchorage doing 100 mph (approx 85 knots, for the rest of yous) will likely have the better lawyer!

;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing