Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2011, 21:41   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Long Distance Solo Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post
Amen Brother, I have nearly 50,000 sea miles alone in my life so far. But I'm not sucidal either. I've never came close to a collison at sea, it's big out there and I don't sail in the shipping lanes. Maybe he needs to build a motorhome in that barn.....Michael..
Just curious, how do you know what close calls you might or might not have had while you were asleep? Are you assuming that just because you saw no ships when you were awake that none passed by when you weren't?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 21:50   #77

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Just curious, how do you know what close calls you might or might not have had while you were asleep? Are you assuming that just because you saw no ships when you were awake that none passed by when you weren't?
I'm still breathing and sailing, must have been pretty lucky that all those fantom ships must have missed me. How many ships have you seen 200 miles offshore? Once out of the shipping lanes I've never seen anything. I must sleep all the time...Damn that egg timer anyway. Michael
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 22:16   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm still breathing and sailing, must have been pretty lucky that all those fantom ships must have missed me. How many ships have you seen 200 miles offshore? Once out of the shipping lanes I've never seen anything. I must sleep all the time...Damn that egg timer anyway. Michael
Not claiming the ocean is lousy with phantom ships. Just a question. You stated "I've never came close to a collison at sea" and I wonder how you know that with such certainty unless you never sleep and have kept a constant watch in all of your 50,000 miles at sea. Just because you are still breathing doesn't prove that a ship didn't pass within spitting distance one night while you were waiting for your egg timer to go off.

And I have seen ships 200 miles and more offshore, outside of all normal shipping lanes. Of course not every day, all the time, but yes one might see a ship most anywhere in the ocean on occasion.
Old 13-04-2011, 22:36   #79

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
You really need to stay in the harbor, let it go. Michael
I always felt safest assuming everyone was pre-occupied, drunk, asleep, or ignorant, unless otherwise indicated. This thread confirms the validity of the assumption.

On second thought, you stay in the harbor.
Old 13-04-2011, 22:41   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I always felt safest assuming everyone was pre-occupied, drunk, asleep, or ignorant, unless otherwise indicated.
Used to ride a motorcycle and made the same assumption about all the other drivers on the road. Saved my posterior a couple of times.
Old 13-04-2011, 22:54   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
"Just curious, how do you know what close calls you might or might not have had while you were asleep? Are you assuming that just because you saw no ships when you were awake that none passed by when you weren't?"
Ignorance is bliss!!!!!

Heard a story about a guy who used to take his boat to Baja every winter from Puget Sound. Always had a reasonably pleasant passage and loved being in Mexico for the winters. That is until he got radar and saw all the ships that were out there on the passage. Freaked him out so much he never made the trip again.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 23:13   #82

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
"Just curious, how do you know what close calls you might or might not have had while you were asleep? Are you assuming that just because you saw no ships when you were awake that none passed by when you weren't?"

Ignorance is bliss!!!!!

Heard a story about a guy who used to take his boat to Baja every winter from Puget Sound. Always had a reasonably pleasant passage and loved being in Mexico for the winters. That is until he got radar and saw all the ships that were out there on the passage. Freaked him out so much he never made the trip again.
Boat for sail... I quess I better quit .. The ocean must be getting smaller. sailing must suck now. to many Democrats ..................
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 23:20   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Your view is somewhat irrelevant.

Dave
I have the same opinion of your view.

Got to be diligent. People are operating boats out there while they are not keeping attention. They admit it.

Gotta get a loud horn! Leastwise I'll show my intentions.
Old 13-04-2011, 23:22   #84
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I my case the radar alarm and the ais alarm go off. I have an external alram (LOUD) on the radar. Offshore they rarely go off. And reassuringly, many times offshore I've watched ships on the ais alter course by 10 or 15deg to give me plenty of searoom then revert back once clear. Gives you an excuse to radio up and say thanks.

Radar also alerts you of any squalls, so you know to get the soap and shampoo out ready
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 00:10   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I'd love to leave this thread open but if people start pissing on each other it will be closed.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 00:28   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I'd love to leave this thread open but if people start pissing on each other it will be closed.
???

I thought we were having an honest and polite disagreement. I took no offense of being told to stay in the harbor or that my views are irrelevant.
Old 14-04-2011, 03:50   #87
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce

I have the same opinion of your view.

Got to be diligent. People are operating boats out there while they are not keeping attention. They admit it.

Gotta get a loud horn! Leastwise I'll show my intentions.
I wasn't being facetious , I was merely saying that no sailing boat has two masthead red lights. So irrespective of your view ( Nuc on hove to) it's irrelevant as commonly nobody has the lights.

Ps nobodies pissing on me either. !
Dave
Old 14-04-2011, 04:12   #88
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Long Distance Solo Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I always felt safest assuming everyone was pre-occupied, drunk, asleep, or ignorant, unless otherwise indicated. This thread confirms the validity of the assumption.

On second thought, you stay in the harbor.
ROTFLMBO........... You only apply this theory when sailing...
Shoot.... for me its a 24hr a day assumption...

Definitely not buying a radar... sound really bludi noisy... hows a guy supposed to sleep...
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 07:19   #89
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day all,

Re legality: The continued acceptance by the authorities of highly publicized long distance solo races seems to indicate that in practice the legality of single handing is not an issue.

Re morality: For the typical cruising yacht (ie small and slow by maritime standards) the chances of a collision caused by a single hander doing great damage to another vessel is small indeed. For higher speed vessels, ie open 60 type racing yachts, the issue is not so clear cut. Should one of these rocket ships hit another small vessel at speeds near to 30 knots, the chance for significant damage or injury is much greater.

Re repercussions to a single hander in the event of a collision: When Jessica Watson had her much discussed collision with the merchant vessel, there was a formal inquiry. The findings apportioned blame to both vessels, but there were NO formal sanctions visited upon Jessica. Her voyage continued after repairs were done. She was not fined, jailed or even censured by the authorities.

So, it seems that responsible single handing, while contravening Colregs, is accepted by authority, and we shouldn't be spending time worrying about it as cruisers. One has the choice of participating or not, based on one's own risk analysis, but to insist that others not single hand is out of line.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Lake Macquarie, NSW, Oz
Gee Jim / Ann, what a thoughtful and logical post in a thread that isn't always that - I admire your courage
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 08:26   #90

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day all,

(...)

For higher speed vessels, ie open 60 type racing yachts, the issue is not so clear cut. Should one of these rocket ships hit another small vessel at speeds near to 30 knots, the chance for significant damage or injury is much greater.

(...)
G'Day,

Right, but an IMOCA is as likely to go at 30 as a smaller, heavier cruising boat is likely to go at hull speed. That is, not very likely. From my observations, speeds of 10-15 knots are an average (right now Brad is making 13). One must rememeber how an IMOCA is built (very light, very fine, and with a crashbox) and then the basic laws of physics - when a fly meets the windscreen, most damage is to the windscreen, (no matter which one was moving fast).

Now imagine the damage from a Westsail travelling at 30 knots... ;-)

How convenient tubs don't fly!

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing