Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-04-2011, 18:10   #16

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: Singlehanding Sub Forum Possible?

Nah.

What we're talking here is it morally ok to go long distance sailing by yourself? Obviously you have to sleep.

My first thought was I am a single adventurous human being. All of us are here on our own. I don't want the rest of you ganging up on me to pass rules to make it more convenient for you. I have no idea why all of us are here or why, but I'm sure it's not for anyone's convenience.

Old 10-04-2011, 18:14   #17
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Re: Singlehanding Sub Forum Possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Why all this legal / illegal BS?

If they (and who are they anyway?) change the laws one day, then it will be suddenly OK?

Safe / unsafe is one thing, but please talk legal / illegal to the likes of James and Desjoyeaux.

Legal - illegal - humbug.

b.
I agree, the point never was about legal / illegal. The point was that operating your vessel with no one on watch, for longer than a couple of minutes at a time, like... to take a whizz, is unsafe and irresponsible, plain & simple. There are a LOT of boats out there. We sometimes passed 15 ships or sailboats in one night! M.

Old 10-04-2011, 18:35   #18

Re: Long Distance Solo Sailing

Joshua Slocum is turning over in his grave. Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom!
Old 10-04-2011, 20:43   #19
vjm

With all due respect, my request for a Singlehanding subforum did not specify long distance. That is obviously a topic that would/does generate a lot of passionate discussion, but it would be only a part of such a subforum.

There are a lot of people who read CF who singlehand some or all of the time. Doesn't it make sense to provide a centralized source of information on how to do that safely, efficiently and responsibly?

I am sure the points being made about long distance soloing are not directed at all singlehanding, so let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Old 10-04-2011, 20:45   #20

Boat: Cape Dory 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Joshua Slocum is turning over in his grave. Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom!
Good bye Velux 5,BOC Challenge,Vendee Globe,Mini Transat,Route du Rhum,Solitaire de Figaro,et al.
Old 10-04-2011, 21:13   #21

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
I agree, the point never was about legal / illegal. The point was that operating your vessel with no one on watch, for longer than a couple of minutes at a time, like... to take a whizz, is unsafe and irresponsible, plain & simple. There are a LOT of boats out there. We sometimes passed 15 ships or sailboats in one night! M.
No there aren't a lot of boats out there.

Coastal for sure, no one on watch is not for the sane, but offshore, radar on with alarm, ais on with alarm, away from shipping lanes, different planet. Once off the shelf.

last solo transat I saw on average 1 ship per week in 32 days between Caib / Azores.

It's not busy out there.
Old 10-04-2011, 21:27   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
With all due respect, my request for a Singlehanding subforum did not specify long distance. That is obviously a topic that would/does generate a lot of passionate discussion, but it would be only a part of such a subforum.

There are a lot of people who read CF who singlehand some or all of the time. Doesn't it make sense to provide a centralized source of information on how to do that safely, efficiently and responsibly?

I am sure the points being made about long distance soloing are not directed at all singlehanding, so let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
This is the not the discussion about whether the forum is warranted. It is still where it started, this was to keep it on topic. Now, stop dragging this one off topic

The subtopic discussion is here:
Singlehanding Sub Forum Possible ?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 21:28   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leventdelamort View Post
Good bye Velux 5,BOC Challenge,Vendee Globe,Mini Transat,Route du Rhum,Solitaire de Figaro,et al.
I wondered when this would come up. Obviously it isn't illegal otherwise all these widely publicized events wouldn't be possible.

Old 10-04-2011, 22:05   #24

I will single hand were ever I choose to go, I will take the appropriate action to avoid any kind of collision. There is nothing that you can say or quote that will deter me or any like minded person from doing so. The only deterrent is the Darwinian law. If you do not like the single handed threat than you have a simple choice, the ignore function. However in choosing this function only shows ignorance and intolerance towards preparing one self for that day when you are short handed,be it for a day or many weeks, whatever the circumstances are that have lead you to this path.
There is a lot of valuable information that is of use to all. But this only forthcoming if like minded people like you were not so critical. The rules and regulation have been discussed many times, I am sure that everyone is aware of these regulation,if not most certainly knows were to find them. It is your valuable skill of cutting and pasting these rules and regulation that lead to very argumentative postings and a disintegrating thread. Why would anyone want to post their experience in an environment like that? If you are suggesting that you are debating the merits of single handing, you are not, all you are doing is imposing self claimed superior knowledge of the rules and regulation.
Fred
Old 10-04-2011, 22:10   #25

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
If I get run down by a yacht, I guess we'll dust ourselves off and all climb aboard the one that's not sinking. However, the closest I've ever come to being run down was by a huge ship off Newcastle in broad daylight and he was overtaking me! These fully crewed ships present an enormous danger so the issue is not single handing, it's not assessing the risks and taking appropriate safety measures. I don't think any of these ships feel threatened by me nodding off for 20 minutes. Good night!

Greg
Old 10-04-2011, 22:18   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Where are ye sailing that ye see 15 boats in one night?? I havet seen that many in gulf or in pacific--lol where are these all coming from or going to-- i sail far enough out not to have to worry about most other stuff--- isnt anything htere--not even shipping lanes. Oh well.. Have fun and dodge'em gooood.... Oops sorry--i am not able to fix all tonite-- not able to use paws well. Please forgive me.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 22:23   #27
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

My own empirical evidence leads me to believe that solo sailors who do not take sufficient care are more of a danger to themselves than others.

Not sayin they are no danger to others....

just sayin...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 22:35   #28

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
Where are ye sailing that ye see 15 boats in one night??
A few years ago I did coastal trip north from Sydney to North Queensland and hardly saw a ship. I came the opposite direction last year with an AIS equipped yacht and saw heaps of ships. Damn technology. Ignorance was bliss!

Greg
Old 10-04-2011, 22:46   #29

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

Well dang!!!
Here we are again!
People who have never done long distance solo passages, stressing about what they perceive to be facts when they don't have a clue about single handling a boat.

I'll repeat what I've stated many times here in this forum.

How can you concieve that we solo sailiors are stupid enough to place our own lives in danger? I submit that singlle handlers are willing to take more responsiplity for their actions than someone that depends on others for their safety.

Many couples are nothing more than singlehandlers with a passanger, and I've lost count of the number of crewed boats that I had to deal with who have had empty cockpits!

Instead of beginning a thread condeming singlehandles as a group, why don't you ask singlehanders what tactics they use to safely co-exist with all the self-rightous experts? Or maybe, how we manage to make a long distance passage without incident?

By the way, it's safer to sail at night when only the experienced are making a passage.
Regards
Old 10-04-2011, 23:02   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post

Instead of beginning a thread condeming singlehandles as a group, why don't you ask singlehanders what tactics they use to safely co-exist with all the self-rightous experts? Or maybe, how we manage to make a long distance passage without incident?
He didn't actually begin the thread; this started as a detour in a thread on whether we need another subforum and I moved the detourish posts into this thread.

Tags
sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: