Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-04-2011, 14:21   #181

Boat: Allied Seawind 32
Re: Long Distance Solo Sailing

John, I didn't think you were being judgmental. I just wanted to explain what the situation was at the time. That is a very dangerous area, as you know.

Old 30-04-2011, 17:57   #182
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post

I've got 1000's of single handed miles and only recounting experience that a crew on watch is not necessarily reliable either.
Yep.

Yet you might agree (not with me, just with the general idea) that a less than perfect crew on watch stands a good chance of being better than a top notch skipper - down below or asleep (or both).

I will be the last to say single-handing is this or that. Dozens of single-handers ply the oceans in style and safety. If safety is related to the number of crew then the crew or lack of thereof is only one of many ingredients and, as you said, more does not imply better.

If anything, then I wish for all single-handers that they have, aside from their sailing and sleep management skills, all the most useful (and always too expensive) toys and whistles that make taking a 5 minute nap or a full night's sleep safer.

Let us all sail and sleep well, and wake up tomorrow to another amazing day on the Ocean.

G'd night mates,
b.

Old 30-04-2011, 18:05   #183
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i fbugba cannot steer but my simrad does well, does he count as crew or do i have to have humans on board????????????? does an eggie timer count S CREW?? I HAVE A LOVELY SOFA ON MY TRANSOM AND I PLAN ON USING HTAT AND A NICE LOUD EGGIE TIMER TO LET ME KNOW WHEN I NEED TO BE AWAKE IN SHORT SPURTS, AND oops sorry i dont type... y'all know that one Well..LOL....so, now what???/ and bout the 2 single hANDERS HITTING WHo are of opposing gender.... depends on .........
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2011, 18:30   #184
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
(...) and bout the 2 single hANDERS HITTING WHo are of opposing gender.... depends on .........
In fact they were not. Only they discovered this too late and it was better for everybody to leave it this way.

b.
Old 30-04-2011, 18:37   #185

Boat: Cal 29
pirate Re: Long Distance Solo Sailing

[QUOTE=hooligan6a;677718 I was about 10 miles off Punta Mala and the ships were passing me to seaward. [/QUOTE]

Punta Mala ... the name says it all.
Old 30-04-2011, 19:48   #186

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
And what about the guy who wants to "cruise" the caribean some 3000 miles on its jet ski solo by the way and is asking a lot of question in this forum proving taht he has no idea at all in what he is going into !!!
Jet Skies are out! Got no use for smudge pots noise makers. I Think Im gona turn my tub into a Submarine so I can cruise all day long till I get tired OR my back can't take wheel watch then I'll submerge a couple of hundred feet below the surface and put her on auto pilot and go to bed! Would this be ok? I wouldn't have to worry about nothing but the Military or would I? Turn her into an old Iron Clad Damn I forgot about the Drug Subs have to watch for them always something.
Old 16-05-2011, 19:52   #187

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny2 View Post
Jet Skies are out! Got no use for smudge pots noise makers. I Think Im gona turn my tub into a Submarine so I can cruise all day long till I get tired OR my back can't take wheel watch then I'll submerge a couple of hundred feet below the surface and put her on auto pilot and go to bed! Would this be ok? I wouldn't have to worry about nothing but the Military or would I? Turn her into an old Iron Clad Damn I forgot about the Drug Subs have to watch for them always something.
You forgot about Captain Nimo!

And what's wrong with a guy wanting to circumnavigate on a jet ski? One less sounds great to me.
Old 16-02-2017, 19:43   #188

Boat: Bavaria 50

In fear of re-igniting the discussion (lively, entertaining and informative - thank you all), I recently read a quote from one of the Mini Transat skippers -
"Logging my sleep in a diary, I averaged five hours kip during both legs of the 2015 Mini Transat, taking naps of 20 30 minutes between the early hours of the morning and during the afternoon.
Despite this I still lost a spinnaker during a 35 knot squall. I had been asleep when I should have been dropping the kite and reefing my mainsail. I also took a few strategic decisions that I would not have made otherwise."
Wow, running with a kite while sleeping...
I'm a fan of a skipper's right to singlehand when he desires but I'm also fascinated by the sleep management systems and the various technologies that allow it with a margin of safety inherent.
Great discussion!

Tags
sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: