Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2015, 08:48   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Locations Where Guns Are Required by Authorities

Any of you that previously flew way up North or are just interested, this guy has a series of books that are just Hilarious
CloudDancer's Alaskan Chronicles books for sale, read the outrageous stories of the young Alaskan bush pilot.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 08:48   #62
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Helicopter pilots will tell you, we're genetically hard-wired to recognize faces against all the clutter. Always been a big fan of Arcimboldo. Might seem like a cliche today, but that cliche comes from somewhere. He's the guy.

Giuseppe Arcimboldo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I too have always admired the creativity and style and genius of Arcimboldo.

Imagine how bizarre and fantastic his art must have appeared to most viewers at the time he made it.

I also imagine he might have been a "Vegan" or "Vegetarian" too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 08:52   #63
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Gives me the creeps just thinking about it. No doubt I'll be branded as anecdotal- but I have a good bush storey.

I was on a search and rescue call (ccg). We were on a shoreline search looking for remains. My partner and I went ashore in a 10' Avon somewhere near penatanguishene armed With our flashlights and our seamans knives.

It was around 3 in the morning- April. I clambered up the steep icey shoreline first. my partner waited on the beach.

His eyes went wide as I dove over the bank- eyes wide with terror.

He said "what is it man?"
I responded "swan! Is a nesting Swan and she's pissed!".

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Your anecdote made me chuckle!

I have seen big men skidaddle (run away) from swans and geese on the ground. I would too, if chased by one, to avoid being bit.
Old 16-01-2015, 14:32   #64
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This topic discussion has brought out a lot of good info.

I appreciate everyone who has contributed details and anecdotes. I have learned some things that surprised me a bit. Good to fill in gaps of knowledge.

When I was in solo hiking and backpacking in several locations in backcountry Alaska, I only had a can of bear spray and some "bear bells" with me. Hiking alone or being within eyeball distance of bears and even closer to wild moose (25 feet) I happened upon while hiking in thick cover, made me appreciate I was in the wild and very small compared to other life. Meeting some wolf biologists while climbing some hills also gave me something to think about later in the dark woods.

So I told myself that next time I was in that environment (e.g. cruising) I would want to be prepared with more than just spray and bells.

I had thought at a minimum a handgun like a .45 would be carried (and I recognize it is not the best choice). But, now I see that could be a problem in Canada (if going up the Inside Passage or along Labrador) due to laws (and probably in Svalbard and Greenland), so the long gun is the solution. My choice would be a 12 gauge pump shotgun, properly declared with the authorities while visiting their countries.

I also agree that shooting anything over 50 meters away is "hunting" rather than self-defense, so the gun would be for self defense in my case.

I found this video which shows some of the beauty of Svalbard (one of the places I hope to see). The video also shows some Polar Bears on the ice, close to the ship.

Old 16-01-2015, 14:37   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
I think you nailed it. That's all I know of.

I hear that you really don't want to shoot a bear in Labrador, the authorities may be worse than the bear.

Canadian customs can be prickly over guns on-board. Depends upon the official.

I went through St Pierre and the French didn't much seem to care. Wanted to know they were on the boat and stowed, that's it.

Didn't make it to Greenland. Common sense kicked in.
Sad, but true. Whether it is preferable being mauled to death by a bear, or by the government, is not an easy choice to make.
Old 16-01-2015, 19:08   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Sad, but true. Whether it is preferable being mauled to death by a bear, or by the government, is not an easy choice to make.
Not sad, it's as it should be. Too many yahoo's from the city with rifles without a clue on how to handle themselves. Make 'em learn a bit first before they hit the salmon streams unprepared.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 04:32   #67

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

It's true the vast majority of Canadians live close to the US border--I think closer than the 500 miles mentioned above. I have heard 75% or 90% within 100 miles of the border. Almost all of our major cities are close to the border.

There's no need to carry a firearm for survival reasons in the south; I wouldn't want to be stranded in the north without one.

As far as man-eating coyotes, Western coyotes are no threat to man but in the Maritimes there has been at least one woman killed by a coyote & several more attacks. These eastern coyotes are much larger than their western cousins & it is believed they have inter-bred with wolves &/or dogs (which shouldn't happen but appears to have). These coy-wolves or coy-dogs as they're sometimes called, hunt in packs & seem to have lost their natural fear of man. They are a real & significant threat to dogs at least.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 05:36   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
Not sad, it's as it should be. Too many yahoo's from the city with rifles without a clue on how to handle themselves. Make 'em learn a bit first before they hit the salmon streams unprepared.
My brother lives and works part time in Alaska as a civil engineer for a construction company. He told me a funny story about bringing in an engineer from some big city on the east coast to consult on a job they were doing out in the Alaska boondocks somewhere.

He said, after a while, the other engineer said, "I have to ask you. Why do the bulldozers and other equipment all have gun racks with shotguns in them?"

My brother said he didn't know if the east coaster was more surprised by the answer "So the bears don't eat the operators" or when he found out that none of the guns or cabs were locked when they quit for the day, and they had never had a shotgun stolen in the five years my brother has been with the company.
Old 17-01-2015, 05:49   #69

Quote:
Fire arms aren't that restricted in Canada. I would think it would be difficult to find a farm any where in Canada without 3 or 4 fire arms.

Canada is a big wild country full of bears and coyotes that will eat you and moose and deer that make excellent burritos.

The fire arms that are hard to come by in Canada are combat fire arms, hand guns, assault rifles and that sort of thing.
We only have a reputation for restrictive fire arms laws because of our proximity to the United States.

The US second amendment is a very interesting law, but is fairly unique to that country.

Also a note on 12 gauge vs bear. A 12 gauge is definitely the tool I would use. Either 00 or slug. If you're outside 50 meters and you shoot a bear- that isn't self defense-that's hunting.

A bear will bluff charge often to within 5 meters. This is his way of telling you he's the boss. Not that he plans to eat you.

If he plans to eat you- he's not coming at you from 50 meters away over open ground. I don't think any animal hunts like that. You'll probably smell him and hear him breathing before you see him.

If you can smell him and feel his hot breath on the back of your neck, I'd say shoot him. Personally, at that range, I would want a shotgun. Pump or better yet- semi auto. Both can be purchased at your local Canadian Tire.

Bears and coyotes will eat you....Coyotes, get serious! Bears yes but coyotes.....nah!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 07:36   #70

Quote:
My brother lives and works part time in Alaska as a civil engineer for a construction company. He told me a funny story about bringing in an engineer from some big city on the east coast to consult on a job they were doing out in the Alaska boondocks somewhere.

He said, after a while, the other engineer said, "I have to ask you. Why do the bulldozers and other equipment all have gun racks with shotguns in them?"

My brother said he didn't know if the east coaster was more surprised by the answer "So the bears don't eat the operators" or when he found out that none of the guns or cabs were locked when they quit for the day, and they had never had a shotgun stolen in the five years my brother has been with the company.
Last summer a woman was killed by a bear while on the job at an oil sands project in Alberta. She was an instrument tech with 6 others and it dragged her off in front of them. Didn't have any bear spray since they weren't in the bush. I think they changed that procedure since.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 07:49   #71

Quote:

That would be like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Company provides shotgun so bear doesn't eat you, you steel gun, bear comes, you have no gun on your dozer, bear eats you.

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 07:55   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Bears and coyotes will eat you....Coyotes, get serious! Bears yes but coyotes.....nah!
Of course a coyote won't eat you. But it will eat your dog, your chickens, your toddler. I've never had a reason to take a shot at a bear. Coyotes are a different storey.
That has more to do with my hobby farming activities than sailing activities. So kind of off topic.

Old 17-01-2015, 08:15   #73

Quote:
That would be like robbing Peter to pay Paul. Company provides shotgun so bear doesn't eat you, you steel gun, bear comes, you have no gun on your dozer, bear eats you.

He told me the theory behind not locking them was that when you needed one of them, you often needed it pretty quick, and nobody wanted to be hunting for the guy with the keys while being chased by a bear.
Old 17-01-2015, 11:26   #74

[QUOTE=FamilyVan;1726256]Sawed off is illegal in Canada (although I don't doubt you saw them). The barrel length must be over 47cm.

It depends. You can get a 12g pump with an 8.5" barrel and an overall length of 24". A 12 g semi will need the often quoted 18.5"/47cm barrel.
amstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 18:55   #75

I knew something was missing from Cruisers Forum. It needs two more categories. "Guns" and "Motorcycles". I don't think I'd ever read the "navigation" section if we had those.

Tags
Guns