Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2015, 13:38   #31
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Locations Where Guns Are Required by Authorities

Howdy Folks!

I am so glad to see so many good comments added to this topic discussion by so many people who have knowledge of the topic and those with experience in the areas.

Good to see a "gun thread" that has facts, useful info for a cruiser, reasonable and civil discussion, and is not political.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 13:48   #32
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This video was posted in another thread recently. I found it interesting to see the size of the Polar Bear in relation to the dinghy.

http://youtu.be/rikNa_0-4z4

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rikNa_0-4z4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry, I don't know how to embed the video box/player on this forum. If someone will tell me, I will learn. I simply copied and pasted the Youtube URL after clicking "Share" on youtube. Then I tried with the "embed" link from youtube.
Old 15-01-2015, 14:13   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Rob is correct on every item except the caliber of a trappers gun. My grandfather was permitted to carry any caliber as long as it was not concealed. The gun was primarily for protection against wolves and black bears, not dispatching game. I know he used it on at least 4 occasions.. Northern Canada can be a wild place.

He was required to follow very strict rules. Once off the trap line it had to be locked up. Even traveling back home in a vehicle.

Anyway.. I think the fact is, the places where you can carry a gun (without issues) while cruising can be counted on one hand.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Yes your are correct travellerw,
My brother in law still runs a trap line and is a OPP officer and clarified where I went wrong. His grandfather had a 22 calibre to shoot fishers but preferred a rifle for wolves.

Sorry for posting the wrong info

Rob
rob67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 14:19   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I'm not sure I would want to try to stop a Grizzly or Polar bear with a shot gun. You'd have to be damn close. A slug has terrible velocity and looses what it has very quickly.
Actually most people expirenced and knowledgeable with the bush or the north know how effective a 12 gauge is. As far as slugs are concerned, I've taken deer at 35 yards, and sabotted slugs I've seen deer taken at 100. I'd rather have a shotgun than a rifle if there is a threatening bear in the area.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-01-2015, 14:45   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

In general, the only firearms allowed for wilderness protection (in Canada) are non-restricted rifles and shotguns. The following individuals, provided they are Canadian residents and have a licence that allows them to possess restricted firearms, may be authorized to carry a handgun or restricted long gun for wilderness protection:
- licensed professional trappers, and
- individuals who need protection from wild animals while working at their lawful occupation, most often in a remote wilderness location.

More ➥ Using a Firearm for Wilderness Protection - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 14:51   #36

Boat: Rinker 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
If you are going anywhere there will be bears, bring this lady with you
You can bring this guy too, looks like he can pull his weight on a line but he might get expensive if you have to provide food and vodka:
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 15:18   #37

In my youth I was fortunate enough to spend a couple seasons in what was then the NWT in Canada and lived for a period of time in an Innuit community between bouts of traveling in the wild and have seen polar bears.

One story that was told to me stands out in my memory. It was the story told by a man who was missing most of his scalp about his experience losing his head to a bear that had been playing hide-and-seek with him behind an ice pressure ridge.

At the end of his story he offered me some advice about what to do when encountering bears which follows - if you see a polar bear and he is looking directly at you, then you need not worry so much as if he is not looking at you directly.

He if is not looking at you directly, he is pretending not to notice you because he is trying to trick you. You should be afraid.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 16:02   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
In my youth I was fortunate enough to spend a couple seasons in what was then the NWT in Canada and lived for a period of time in an Innuit community between bouts of traveling in the wild and have seen polar bears.

One story that was told to me stands out in my memory. It was the story told by a man who was missing most of his scalp about his experience losing his head to a bear that had been playing hide-and-seek with him behind an ice pressure ridge.

At the end of his story he offered me some advice about what to do when encountering bears which follows - if you see a polar bear and he is looking directly at you, then you need not worry so much as if he is not looking at you directly.

He if is not looking at you directly, he is pretending not to notice you because he is trying to trick you. You should be afraid.
Very good advice and it translates to predatory behavior in black bears and grizzlies as well. It must be an ursine trait.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-01-2015, 16:07   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I went out with one particular Spanish woman who was very beautiful.

If she was looking at you, be very afraid.
If she was not looking at you, be very afraid.
If she was in next room and talking to you, be very afraid.

I was afraid.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 16:13   #40

Quote:

Gives me the creeps just thinking about it. No doubt I'll be branded as anecdotal- but I have a good bush storey.

I was on a search and rescue call (ccg). We were on a shoreline search looking for remains. My partner and I went ashore in a 10' Avon somewhere near penatanguishene armed With our flashlights and our seamans knives.

It was around 3 in the morning- April. I clambered up the steep icey shoreline first. my partner waited on the beach.

His eyes went wide as I dove over the bank- eyes wide with terror.

He said "what is it man?"
I responded "swan! Is a nesting Swan and she's pissed!".

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 17:15   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

You can get closer to game if you don't stare at it. I had a buck walk up to me, under 10 feet, just watched him, slight of center, with my eyes just below the brim.

As a kid I walked across a marsh and picked up a bitten, I approached is kinda circular, never looking directly at it. I let it go and it flew away.

Guess my wife is right when she calls me an old bear!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 17:29   #42
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
You can get closer to game if you don't stare at it. I had a buck walk up to me, under 10 feet, just watched him, slight of center, with my eyes just below the brim.

As a kid I walked across a marsh and picked up a bitten, I approached is kinda circular, never looking directly at it. I let it go and it flew away.

Guess my wife is right when she calls me an old bear!
Cool!
Old 15-01-2015, 18:09   #43

Helicopter pilots will tell you, we're genetically hard-wired to recognize faces against all the clutter. Always been a big fan of Arcimboldo. Might seem like a cliche today, but that cliche comes from somewhere. He's the guy.

Giuseppe Arcimboldo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	394.9 KB
ID:	95549  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 18:13   #44

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I worked with a guy stationed an ice berg. He said they had to go out in groups and everyone had an m1 carbine. I would guess grabbing them by the barrel and beating a polar bear to death was the idea.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 18:17   #45

Quote:
Helicopter pilots will tell you, we're genetically hard-wired to recognize faces against all the clutter. Always been a big fan of Arcimboldo. Might seem like a cliche today, but that cliche comes from somewhere. He's the guy.

Giuseppe Arcimboldo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Never heard of him before, but cool illustration.
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Guns