Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2007, 21:50   #1

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
LIVING YOUR DREAM - PART 2

Ok, So now we know why you're not out there...
Lets hear from those that are out there, how they broke lose, what they regret if anything, How they support themselves, and whats in their future.
I'll start this out by saying we've been out for 4 years now, The first 2 years we stayed out cruising, came back to do a retro-fit on the boat and to stock up on more money (working) and we'll be leaving this next spring, the boat is ready, the money is there, and we're looking at a 5 year trip around the world. We support our cruising by doing canvas work on boats, Photography work, and I sell and service watermakers.. We fish alot, and we've learned to keep our spending to a minimum. but we still have enough to go ashore and see the sights..
Our regrets, ya, every once in a while, not to often, but every once in a while, when its blowing like snot outside, and we have to pull an anchor watch, and no matter what you do, you cant get warm.. I kinda wish I was back in the comfort of our house, (the one we sold). but that dosen't last to long.. the sun comes out, and your back in Paradise..
A good friend once told me that before you can kiss the princess,
you have to slay the dragon... Damn that Dragon!
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2007, 23:33   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
It took eleven years for us to sail around the world, and we financed it by working in Saudia Arabia.

Leaving to go sailing wasn't hard because we didn't didn't own a house. Our only possessions were our personal items, our boat and our car.

My biggest regret is that life is short, and I have too many dreams and not enough time.

Growing older is harder than sailing to windward. Time is short and every decision is as much about time as it is about living my dreams. How much time should I devote to the next adventure, and how much should I bet on the next throw of the dice.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 09:02   #3

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Ok, So now we know why you're not out there...
!
Is this the sequal to LIVING YOUR DREAM

Keegan
Keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 13:23   #4

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Growing older is a bastard of a consequence of birth--but the ravages can be held at bay as long as one keeps away from unhealthy stresses, loud noises and motor vehicles. Death is the only cure for old age.

I like to take olive leaf extract and I eat seafood with omega 3 and the odd variety of seaweed and naturally occuring vegetables, as well as the occasional store purchases of foosd and vegies.

I go where I feel like going at the time--which could be anywhere or no where. When the urge takes me I weigh anchor and set course for the next interesting spot--wherever it might be. I may never get to cross another ocean--but then again--I might--we will have to see.

The main thing is to savour the dream--and not let life on board become that other kind of dream.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2007, 13:53   #5

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Mike
I appauld your way of thinking. Is it my imagination or as we get older, we fing more romance in the way we live our lives. and not that we try, its just that it turns out that way.
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 04:36   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
Growing older is a bastard of a consequence of birth...
Life is a fatal disease - as Jim Morrison (The Doors - Five To One) said: “No One Here Gets Out Alive”, and growing old “sucks” big time (but it certainly beats the alternative).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 06:56   #7

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus
Great thread and true enough the biggest regret is that life can be short. I am thankful for very good health, a positive attitude and wonderful friends and family.

I have been out cruising for nearly two yrs and love every single day. I do not miss the cushy comfort of a big house and all that you can have in it. The more I liveaboard my Wauquiez Hood 38, the more I crave the beauty of her teak and the simplicity of this life. She fits me like a glove and is more than inviting for any number of guests I wish to have join me. To do this, it is important to know what makes life aboard comfortable and to have those things. To me, some of the things that make living aboard and cruising comfortable are: plenty of water, hot showers, shower in the cockpit, a spacious vee berth with a custom mattress, nice size private qtr cabin for guests, a completely DRY boat that is clean and does not smell, plenty of storage, a spacious enough main salon to spend time in. Conveniences include a computer and internet access (via my cell phone), decent dink with big enough motor, a boat that is not too maintenance intensive and easy to work on, rigging that has all sail control lines led back to the cockpit for easy single handing...including slab reefing.

6 or more yrs ago, I made a life plan, financial plan and strategic plan for slipping the lines for good. I was conservative and saved as much as I could, invested as well as I could. I bought the most reasonable boat that I thought could carry myself and a companion to wherever I wished to go in comfort and one I would be proud to own. Took my time in fitting her out and then the plan came together, I sold the house and gave away most that I had and I slipped the lines for good. It was and still in a wonderful feeling.

I maintain this lifestyle through savings, investments, some consulting work and some captain work. It does take scrupulous adherence to a budget, but the reward of freedom is well worth it. To those thinking about doing this....finances are everything. You need to have a plan. Planning to continue this life by working while cruising is not always the best plan..you will find a large number of people (both cruisers and those living aboard in a spot) trying to do that and so you have to be very lucky AND good to luck into the good situations (more detail on this, if you wish).

While Invictus is very comfortable to liveaboard (22,000 lbs displ, 18GRT), she is sized well enough such that I never have a problem getting a slip, mooring or anchorage anywhere... an advantage when you don't know where you are going . And her 4.5 ft K/CB draft allows me to traverse even the most remote spots in the keys and Bahama's with ease, allowing me more access and possibilities.

The only real difficulty for me is balancing my desire to cruise and find remote places and my desire to spend the time I have with my parents and friends.

The future: who knows, at this point, no plan is needed. I am living it and every possibility is open to me. Given this boat, I could continue to cruise, could circumnavigate, could buy a house in FL and keep the boat and sail when I wished. At present, I am stopped in the keys, going to liveaboard and head up a sailing program for an organization I believe in and have a blast doing it. Will be doing more diving here, cruise the back country in my free time. Plan to continue cruising after this, whenever that might be...

My best to all.

John
s/v Invictus
John Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 09:12   #8

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
Inspirational John, Very well written, with a sound foundation in logic, and aspirations and plans that are fluid and in your control! very good post!! Fair Winds!!
Old 28-11-2007, 12:29   #9

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
Randy--

You could well be right. I think experience certainly allows for greater enjoyment of sailing in much the same way as varied life experiences enhance reading a novel or treatise. One has a greater schema to contribute to the text, or the exploration of a new environment.

Then there are so many memories of good times and people as one gets older--and some situations reacall them. One can never go back--one just moves forward with the increased enjoyment of having done something similar before and the recollections certainly add to the enjoyment of the present.

Living in the past--no matter how pleasant it was most of the time--is no substitute for the greater enjoyment of the present. Cruising makes enjoyment of the present very possible--provided one does not get careless with soundings and weather warnings, and let's not forget denying opportunity to the pissed-with-power petty bureaucrats.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote