Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Number one reason you have not sailed away yet??
Money 94 40.52%
Kids too young or dont want to go 20 8.62%
Spouse says: NO WAY 20 8.62%
Career plans in the way 30 12.93%
Cannot sell house to pay for it 7 3.02%
Fear of unknown 3 1.29%
Other 58 25.00%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2010, 10:25   #106
dtj

Getting house ready to sell and the boat ready to sail.
dtj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 11:28   #107
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
LOL..most seem to have money problems. i have a boat i got for nearly nothing and have some things to do -- estimated departure date is dec this yr. after the chainplates are replaced and backed.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 13:08   #108

Boat: Sceptre 41
It sure is funny reading thru this thread. I posted on it in Oct of 2007. #26. Since then I have had family members die. Been diagnosed with Cancer (now in remission) and managed to get some cruising in. Mexico was a blast. This entire time I have been fishing trying to lure the family into going on a nice long trip. I have realized that the whole family is not going to go. Daughter is a freshman in high school. Son is in 7th grade. I have a little under six years of high school left (didn't like it much when I was in it) and then it is time to go. There was a lot of talk of five year plans and some about just setting a date. Right now the plan is to keep the boat in Europe so that we can have summer vacations there.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 19:20   #109
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
I am getting my boat ready this winter to head for "warmer climes" Due to a car accident that nearly killed me I have decided to act on a dream both my father and I shared, he never made it...I have, I have spent the last three years getting the boat I dreamed about most of my ready, I should have acted sooner but have plenty of life left to enjoy (if you have more time than money it is actually relatively inexpensive to get your dream boat)}. I have always tried to keep me fantasies from becoming too fantastic, which is why I live on a beautiful little sail boat rather than lust for some fancy yacht that approaches the cost of a house now adays. Ask your self: what is more important a fast paced stressful quest for the "corner office" or drinking margaritas on the quarter deck of your boat while enjoying a tropical sunset.
" It is better to die living then to live dieing"
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 21:10   #110

Boat: Pearson 281
Been three years on two different boats trying to get away. Our first larger "get-away" boat was 40 yeqr old FRP boat that we had gotten for nothing but proved to be a really flawed platform... lousy judge of boat-flesh. The second one is a beefy well-built bluewater boat... many work hours later equals many lessons, more self sufficient cruisers and a boat that we will have ready by early December when we finally get to take off.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 21:25   #111

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Ahoy shipmates, don't bother trying to convince anyone else to go with you, do it alone!!! I did it and after 9 months at sea, no marinas, just anchorages next to tropical islands and huge right hand surf breaks, I have never been happier or felt more alive. It's so easy, buy the cheapest boat that will float you there and go!
If you need some crew just advertise on one of the many crew wanted sites, works fine.
There have been lots of "insurmountable problems and equipment failures", but they are all just dim memeories now. Smaller is better!
Cheers from Keith.
Old 21-09-2010, 22:33   #112
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmachine View Post
Ahoy shipmates, don't bother trying to convince anyone else to go with you, do it alone!!! I did it and after 9 months at sea, no marinas, just anchorages next to tropical islands and huge right hand surf breaks, I have never been happier or felt more alive. It's so easy, buy the cheapest boat that will float you there and go!
If you need some crew just advertise on one of the many crew wanted sites, works fine.
There have been lots of "insurmountable problems and equipment failures", but they are all just dim memeories now. Smaller is better!
Cheers from Keith.
I personally would rather share the experience with someone.
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 22:40   #113

Boat: 17' faering Ironblood, building 34' schooner Javelin
Other: The keel is done, stem and sternpost ready to assemble, I am building frames. And I am playing too much with my 17' boat, hiking and backpacking. Maybe next year, but it is not a matter of 'if', just when. I have done this before.
MichaelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 23:20   #114

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine
Do it now?

Ahoy Wolfenzee, that's just the point. If you wait for some one to share the experience with, then........... Maybe you will never go? What a heart breaker?
As I said, you will find plenty of people along the way to share the experience with, the important thing is to go, not wait around trying to convince important others to follow YOUR DREAM!!!
Sounds like you have the joy boat and the motivation to get going?
Cheers mate.
Old 28-10-2010, 19:44   #115
Eternal Member

I am getting my boat ready now, out of the water for the winter....should be able to find someone by the time the boat is ready. The marina is replacing the dock where I had a slip so I am on the hard at no extra charge and no hauling fees.....getting all sorts of kewl stuff done.
Old 28-10-2010, 19:58   #116
Eternal Member

Alot of people say it is because of money, our culture runs on credit so most people have debts.....but if you are talking about the actual cost you need to sit down and look everything you spend money on...how much of that would be eliminated once you cut your ties to land. For me the figure is about 50% of my income with another 30% being eaten up in the prepping of my boat, after new costs are added it balances out to my cutting ties to land would cut my cost of living by more than half. As things stand now I live on a boat in a marina which in itself is significantly less expensive than living on land (compared to renting a room in a house)
Old 28-10-2010, 20:05   #117
Eternal Member

Just because you can't do it now, doesn't mean it can't happen....I picked up on my father's dream when I was 12 and it took almost 40 years to make it happen....but it is happening.

some people say career plans are in their way...what is more important, our culture makes us think that nothing is more important than success in the workplace...more important than enjoying and experiencing life.
Old 28-10-2010, 21:31   #118

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
getting close...I selected other. we just need to fix up the boat we have.

bought the boat August 27 this year after a 3 year search and selling everything we owned. now updating and outfitting her. Next spring head out on the big life long dream expedition. right now, just fooling around the Puget Sound on short trips. The current trip is 2 weeks long. Have enough chow on board for another 2 weeks. unfortunately, only enough coffee for 4 more days. have tea though.

do endless short trips count? pulling her out of the water in winter to replace the 30 year old fuel tank, fool with some rigging replacements, change out some gaskets on the portholes, and maybe wax the gelcoat. oh yeah. needs new bottom paint, a new dink and outboard.

maybe a better way to heat then cabin. retool the watermaker (no flaming please) and head out. right now, the only thing that heads us back into the marina (I hate those things) is laundry and water needs.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 21:38   #119

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
A lot of people say it is because of money,

I don’t know if it is actually the opposite for me as far as money is concerned? If you have lived where I do for too long the place has a repressive industrial attitude. I went back to doing a bit of work as a chef lately and I just could not believe the games people wanted to play. In general, despite my experience, I got treated like some sort of slave process worker. A few of the situations got downright nasty (not just for me!). Maybe I would have better prospects if I went elsewhere. I would be interested to hear what kind of work your friends have found cruising?

Still, I have a mate up the coast who is a bit of a celebrity chef and his wife even gave the hospitality industry in due the fact “it was doing her head in” (directly quoting him). I have heaps of other skills I could put to use including a Business/Law Degree and the fact I am admitted as a Lawyer. Problem is you just don’t get the opportunity to use them around here. I do have a young daughter which makes things a bit harder. On the other hand, why let this place get me down when there might be a whole other world out there?

I am again going to see how I feel after the next few days on the boat. I am already living the dream next to the beach, but as stated the location has got stale after 20 + years. Usually when I get on the boat I don’t want to get off and it would really make living affordable. Eventually it is going to happen and I admit I feel guilty leaving the boat idle.
Old 28-10-2010, 21:55   #120

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by First Mate View Post
getting close...I selected other. we just need to fix up the boat we have.

bought the boat August 27 this year after a 3 year search and selling everything we owned. now updating and outfitting her. Next spring head out on the big life long dream expedition. right now, just fooling around the Puget Sound on short trips. The current trip is 2 weeks long. Have enough chow on board for another 2 weeks. unfortunately, only enough coffee for 4 more days. have tea though...,,,,,
Bugger, I have no coffee at home, but do have an un-opened jar on the boat. If I was a bit closer I would invite you over for a cupper.

Otherwise your situation sounds a lot like mine. There is nothing that major to be done that I can’t go and it looks like I am off tomorrow for another of those short trips at sea.