Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 15:23   #1

Listed price vs Nadaguides price?

Im pretty confused about the spread between listed price and nadaguides value on sailboats.
Example: Gemini 105MC 2007
Suggested list price $149,500, Low retail price $67,500 and average retail is $76,500.

Three Gemini 105MC 2007 for sale now:
$129,000, in NY
$132,000 in Maryland
$135,000 in Florida

So the listed prices on these boats have been set over 70% higher than the average retail price. Is this normal? It is possible in general to buy boats for 40% under the listed price on internet(which would be close to average retail price for these 3 boats)?

Also I saw a thread where someone posted a spreadsheet with the real sale prices vs listed prices, where can I find an updated version of this? I think the list was from yachtworld.com.
sailboatdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 15:39   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Listed price vs Nadaguides price?

NADA has historically undervalued boats.

The only place you can get any sort of actual sales values is from a dealer/broker who can search Yachtworld.com. And that assumes the dealers input true sale prices.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 15:58   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

NADA is just not that accurate for boats. Sale price is all over the board. Yes it is possible to get a boat for 40% below asking price. Depends on the motivation. Most boats sell for 10-20% under asking price, some lots under.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:32   #4

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

yacht world is just like a used car lot, they price it at the top of the price and if you don't know what your doing i guess you will buy it. I was watching a boat on yacht world and i saw it sold and i saved the name and after it was off yacht world i sent him a email and asked what it sold for. he didn't have to answer me but he did, it was listed for 230000, and sold for 160000. To get the best price is to have your money ready find your boats and bid them against the others and he who lowers his price the most wins. if you can wait you will find that amazing deal either some one must get rid of it or some one just dose not want it any more. find that person. The asking price is usually a dream #. only people currently trying to sell there boat would disagree, but when they bought it i but they wanted it for a little as they could get it for.
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:36   #5
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

NADA is a waste of time when shopping for a cat.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:07   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

People can list their boat at any price they wish. There is no universal correlation between asking price and NADA or BUC price.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:11   #7

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailboatdream View Post
Im pretty confused about the spread between listed price and nadaguides value on sailboats.

SNIP
NADA prices for small mass produced sailboats (like Hobie cats) are fairly good. Problem is for anything over 25-30 feet boat condition varies so much it is not easy to set a price without a survey.

In any case NADA prices are biased towards what a lending institution would lend on the purchase. Just as with NADA car values the amount one can borrow is less than the price.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:39   #8

Boat: Caliber 40

NADA is a wonderful and accurate tool!

It is used to determine the taxable value of boats in California. In my area the tax is about 1% of NADA value.

Therefore - NADA must be correct!
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:28   #9
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
NADA is a wonderful and accurate tool!

It is used to determine the taxable value of boats in California. In my area the tax is about 1% of NADA value.

Therefore - NADA must be correct!

:-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:08   #10

NADA is next to worthless when it comes to boats. BUC will at least get you in the ballpark; it's worth paying for if you have a lot of potential boats on your list. But keep in mind that the price ranges they list don't take into consideration things like age of electronics, engine hours, etc. You need to adjust for those things when you specify boat condition. These days, with the market as it is, I figure that the bottom of the BUC range is the most I would think about paying.
I find that the majority of initial asking prices on YW run 20% - 40% high. I guess once in a blue moon someone will want a particular boat at any price and so owners figure it's worth a try. After a boat has been listed for 6 months or more (and these days that applies to a lot of boats), generally you'll see asks starting to move down into at least the realm of possibility.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:14   #11

Also, most of the values you see are based on brokers sales. But a lot of boats are sold privately and they tend to sell for less. So the actual average selling prices for many older boats are probably lower than the lowest estimates you'll see. That's why I would consider the bottom of the BUC range to be my absolute max.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price