Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2017, 18:22   #1

Lines - To replace, or not to replace?

As best I can remember, the running rigging on my boat was replaced by a previous owner somewhere between 2010 and 2012. My lines do not appear to be chaffed, or worn, but they are a little stiff and plenty dirty.

I've been trying to decide if I need to replace all the lines now, or if I can squeeze another season out of them.

It was suggested that I take them down and soak them in a diluted bleach solution, followed by a thorough and extensive rinse, and then soaked in some water with fabric softener in them.

My question is, do these lines appear too far gone for you, or can they be saved for one more season?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1059.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	146064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1058.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	433.2 KB
ID:	146065  

TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 18:27   #2

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: Lines - To replace, or not to replace?

Clean them and enjoy the boat. You'll know when they're too far gone by the jacket coming off of the core or excessive fuzz left behind from handling.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 18:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Clean them and enjoy the boat. You'll know when they're too far gone by the jacket coming off of the core or excessive fuzz left behind from handling.
Ok good. That saves me another $300 this season, and none of them are that far gone yet. Haven't noticed any fuzz or any of them coming apart. Mostly just full of mold.
Old 22-04-2017, 18:43   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Second the motion for cleaning them, they look dirt-stained. Clean them by soaking with a little laundry detergent and water in a deep bucket. Agitate a little by hand after they've soaked a while (at least 5 min.) Air dry. People get shrinkage in the lines if they wash and dry by machine.

Ann
Old 22-04-2017, 18:44   #5

Thanks Ann!
Old 22-04-2017, 18:46   #6

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

I seem to recall a Practical Sailor article saying not to use bleach. It recommended, and I have used, a diluted solution of (Downey) fabric softener. It works well, in my experience. I'll look for more on bleach ...

Yeah, here's the link ....

https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...e_10509-1.html
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 18:47   #7

Thanks Scotty!
Old 22-04-2017, 19:33   #8

Boat: Currently in between

They look fine in pictures but they have to meet your comfort level. I second nixing the bleach, it is just so harsh. I've always been told and gone the Downey route.
Old 22-04-2017, 20:36   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

From the pics, unless there are sections of your lines suffering from severe chafe that we can't see, then you can get several more years of service out of your lines.

Skip the bleach, seriously!!! Ditto on anything resembling a fabric softener. As some fibers, like aramids for example (Kevlar, Vectran, Technora, etc.), have serious bleach allergies. It will eat them up literally. And some of these chemicals are also Bad Juju for the line's proprietary anti-abrasion/anti-UV coatings (see below).

And personally, I pass on washing any lines that have parallel fiber internal cores. Particularly the ones which have cores that are encased in a proprietary fibrous tape, such as StaSet-X for example. As I'm thinking that washing such lines in a machine, might damage the coils & stacked wraps of their internal structures. That, or possible hockle or kink such types of cores.

Also, both before & after washing, make sure that you're lines are fully free of internal hockles or twists. As you don't want to set up the lines for a preventable, early demise. And it's good practice to check all lines for such things regularly anyway.

Otherwise, washing running rigging in the machine's fine. I've always just used a mild detergent in the washing machine. Sometimes dish soap, or even baby shampoo. And you shouldn't have a problem in most types of washers.
Once they're finished being washed & rinse, just let them hang/drip dry.

If you're worried about the lines potentially jamming the washing machine spindle, try seizing the loops of line together into a large O-shaped coil, in several places around their perimeter. And if you like, pad the shackles with an old sock folded over several times, & seized in place.

Bottom line, you're trying to get the salt & dirt out of the fibers of the line, as that's what eats them up internally when they're under load, due to internal abrasion. Think of the salt crystals & dirt as tiny belt sanders inside of the line. So to get the stuff out, some agitation while they're being washed helps.

However, if you wash them too frequently or aggressively, you'll wash off/out the protective coatings which are built into them. Such as the Samthane on Samson Ropes.
It's what makes them shiny & slippery; internally, & externally. With a big part of it's function being to enhance the abrasion resistance of the line; between the core & cover, as well as against external sources of wear.
As, for example, New England Ropes touts the coatings on their anchor rodes as being a key factor in what makes them significantly more abrasion resistant than other manufacturer's anchor rodes.

Also, see this thread -> Mouldy Halyards - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

The biggest thing that you can do to extend the life of your running rigging, is to prevent chafe, & keep them out of the Sun. The latter is pretty easy to do, as crazy as it may sound. Simply put a reeving splice into the tail of all of your halyards & reefing lines. Which takes 10 min per line to do, if that. And once that's done, it literally takes all of 3 min (max) to change out a halyard, or to pull it out for inspection.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ing+Eye+Splice

Which, if you won't be using the boat for more than a week or two, take out your halyards, & replace them with halyard leaders. Leaders being purpose made substitute lines, made from 4-5mm cord. Stuff that costs all of $0.10/ft For example Samson Solid Braid Nylon Rope

It's fairly common to remove halyards on racing boats after every regatta for this reason, as it extends their service lives by YEARS. So given the cost of running rigging, it's well worth doing.

Also, take steps to lessen the chafe on your running rigging by:
- Adding an extra layer of cover onto your halyards in high wear areas, such as where they pass through line clutches, or are subject to heavy winching loads.
- Paint them with a line protectant such as Maxi Jacket II, or RP25. It increases their lifespan by 30-50%. See the below linked post.
- Ensure that all of your lines have fair leads.
- Ensure that your sheaves are properly sized for your lines. Both in terms of sheave diameter (minimum 8x rope diameter), sheave width, & sheave profile.
- Regularly inspect your lines for chafe, & your sheaves for any scoring that will accelerate line abrasion.
- Don't undersize your lines, thinking you'll be saving money. Stretch is pretty much the #1 line killer out there, usually caused by thin, stretchy lines (double braid dacron/polyester). Since as lines stretch, their fibers rub against each other internally, thus wearing them out prematurely.
- Buy low stretch lines, such as Spectra, Vectran, & Technora, etc. They cost more initially, but more than make up for this difference in the long run. Especially as Spectra is the most slippery line fiber available out there, & it's incredibly chafe resistant. So it vastly outlasts things like Dacron/Polyester.

- End for end your lines regularly, so as to spread out the loads & chafe which the different sections of them see. And with 12-strand single braids, routinely snip off worn splices, & put in a new one.

Maxi Jacket/Maxi Jacket II, & RP 25: What they are, & why you'll want to use them -->
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2367869

NOTE : ALL of the above also applies to; Docklines, Anchor Rodes, Roller Furling Lines, etc.

Tips on checking running rigging for stretch, AKA excessive fiber breakdown (otherwise know as wear) --> http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2367470

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 21:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post

... The latter is pretty easy to do, as crazy as it may sound. Simply put a reeving splice into the tail of all of your halyards & reefing lines. ...

It's fairly common to remove halyards on racing boats after every regatta for this reason, as it extends their service lives by YEARS. So given the cost of running rigging, it's well worth doing.

I was wondering about that. I assumed I could use a small diameter type line to pull through the mast, to make them easier to re-install without having to climb the mast, but wasn't sure.
Old 22-04-2017, 21:30   #11
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

I wash my lines pretty well every spring to get all the crud and mold (from winter) out of them.
I use a front loader machine with only a small amount of detergent. I have never had a hockle or anything else.
I do not bother with the halyards since they are rarely used (furling for both sails)
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 08:24   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
As best I can remember, the running rigging on my boat was replaced by a previous owner somewhere between 2010 and 2012. My lines do not appear to be chaffed, or worn, but they are a little stiff and plenty dirty.

I've been trying to decide if I need to replace all the lines now, or if I can squeeze another season out of them.

It was suggested that I take them down and soak them in a diluted bleach solution, followed by a thorough and extensive rinse, and then soaked in some water with fabric softener in them.

My question is, do these lines appear too far gone for you, or can they be saved for one more season?
It is very important to change your lines... When you a tired of the color. Mostly they will out last you.
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 09:09   #13

Boat: '82 Mikawa MKII 30'

I have used a garden hose with a pistol grip, a bucket and power detergent. Bleach is a no, no! I would be afraid of fabric softener, too, for reasons expressed above.
I had reefing lines that had been hanging from the boom for too long and they had become green and crusty. Same with the traveler control line. A good soak in plain water and then detergent added helped get the grime out. Now they are like new!
One method to avoid snarling and kinking in a machine is to put the rope in a "delicate wash" net bag. That avoids rope getting tangled on itself and getting kinked. But I steer clear of any machines on my braid!
For 3 strand mooring lines and the like, I have used a power washer. That cuts the algae real quick. But it is hard on the fibers, definitely.
Matsubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 10:50   #14

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Fresh water is the safest solvent, it works very well with a some overall agitation, a decent rinsing, and the natural drying process. Afterwards they may not look new, but they will not be physically damaged by the process, and will be much improved in appearance and feel. IMO they will live longer as well. I do have friends who claim the dirt, including salt, helps protect them, but, for what it is worth, I disagree.
Old 23-04-2017, 11:20   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Synthetic lines have a lube internally that is there to prevent wear as the lines stretch and retract. Washing, soaking in various chemistry removes the lube and greatly shortens the life. Do it with old lines near their end.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote