Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2016, 12:03   #1
jwr
Marine Service Provider

Line side of v birth

We are fixing up our old 22 foot westerly .. Need to line sides of inside what type material us... Thanks.. Should I insolate with foam or ? The put material .... Need help
jwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 12:17   #2

Re: Line side of v birth

This what we did...get the Mylar - bubble wrap - Mylar insulation and contact cement it to the sides and ceiling. Then get cut pile car headliner and contact cement it to the Mylar. The cement allows you to position the fabric as needed. It will be warmer in the cool and cooler in the warm. You will also notice how quiet it is. Would like to see how it turns off...make sure you use fans to get the fumes out...

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Pearson P385 out of Racine Wisconsin
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 12:17   #3

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I used foil backed camping mats which are closed cell foam maybe 6mm thick.
I have also used the slightly thinner non foil backed mats between deckhead and deckhead liners.
Works good... was cheap... and strange to relate doesn't feel cold to the touch if one's bare buttocks make contact with it at 02dark.

Focsle V berth just used for storage hence the blue mat but have fitted the silver foil backed mats against the hull throughout the boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1190708 (3).jpg
Views:	272
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	123486   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1976 (1).jpg
Views:	308
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	123487  

Old 30-04-2016, 12:27   #4

I see a lot of Bubble wrap just go flat over time. Proceed with caution using it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 12:50   #5

Boat: Cal 2-27

Our v berth has a Mylar wrapped closed cell foam that is covered in a micro suede type material. Can't give specifics as it was a previous owner project.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 13:29   #6
jwr
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggegner View Post
This what we did...get the Mylar - bubble wrap - Mylar insulation and contact cement it to the sides and ceiling. Then get cut pile car headliner and contact cement it to the Mylar. The cement allows you to position the fabric as needed. It will be warmer in the cool and cooler in the warm. You will also notice how quiet it is. Would like to see how it turns off...make sure you use fans to get the fumes out...

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
what is cut pile car headliner plus where I get my let insolation
Old 30-04-2016, 13:32   #7

It's berth, not birth.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 13:51   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr View Post
what is cut pile car headliner plus where I get my let insolation
Where are you located? Seriously, don't mean to be hard on you, but I am in Australia, and local references are more usable than ones for the US. I bet the shoe is on the other foot if you are in the US or Europe, or Great Britain.

How I would find it would be to try Googling "cut pile car headliner", and see where that led me. Or, look in the yellow pages. There's no way to tell when or if a poster who answers you once will come back.

Cheers,

Ann
Old 30-04-2016, 14:15   #9
jwr
Marine Service Provider

I meant Berth not birth

Quote:

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Old 30-04-2016, 14:20   #10
jwr
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
I was wondering if I could use that car ceiling fabric that has a thin foam backing or upholstery material over the mylar wrap. There is a fabric store going out of business so I might be able to get on the cheap
Old 30-04-2016, 14:24   #11
jwr
Marine Service Provider

Re: Line side of v berth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fog Bank View Post
Our v berth has a Mylar wrapped closed cell foam that is covered in a micro suede type material. Can't give specifics as it was a previous owner project.
thanks for the help you have given me some ideas
Old 30-04-2016, 14:41   #12

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

My 1st boat, a Ranger 33, with a solid glass hull, initially had what amounted to burlap, glued onto the insides of the hull. And when I got her, at the age of 14yrs, it looked pretty ratty. Which, likely was one reason that I could afford her.
But when I started living aboard full time, in S. California, she lacked a bit for warmth, even with my space heater. Despite the fact that temps rarely hit lower than 45 deg. F (7 deg. C).

The upside was, that even during the times when there were 2 or 3 of us onboard her for a long weekend, or a week, she was a dry boat. With no condensation issues; underneath of the mattresses, along the hull sides, or via the overhead. Thus, having any mildew problems in any insulation or headliner material wasn’t a big concern.

So at the suggestion of my worldly, well-traveled neighbor, I went & purchased a good supply of; automotive headliner carpet, some staple in place trim, & a half a dozen cans of 3m Spray Adhesive.
The carpeting being acrylic (I think), & perhaps 6mm (1/4”) thick (max), including the dead air space captured in it’s nap.

And in the course of one weekend, with a small bit of supervision, & a few cold ones, I tore out the old liner material, & glued in the new. The only hard part, being the fumes from the glue. But I kept the hatches open to deal with that.

As soon as I was done, the boat was noticeably warmer; about 10deg F, by my thermometer. Even without my tiny electric space heater running. And much more so with it switched on.
The mod’ changed the feel of the boat entirely. Much for the better, in many ways.

My helpful neighbor had had much the same experience. But given that he lived on Vancouver Island in BC when he did his boat, he used 1” (25mm) closed cell, soft foam, glued to the hull, underneath his hull liner carpet. And it took him about 5-6 days to do this to a 37’ boat.

Other than the above, my suggestions would be to make sure that your boat has good ventilation, including enough to keep the undersides of the bunks (& elsewhere) mildew free. And that your boat’s dry, in terms of deck leaks.
So that you don’t wind up with soggy, mildew prone insulation.
In addition to using materials which dry quickly if/when they do get wet.
And not to use materials which are overly expensive, in case you have to tear them out for whatever reason.

But the other posters have it right when they say that it changes the whole character of the boat. And the noise dampening effects are a Big plus, on top of, of course, the warmth factor.

PS: Adding a pattern of ventilation holes in the bunk tops, underneath of the cushions makes a world of difference. As does adding small exhaust fans in the bunk fronts, even the little ones found in desktop computers. And some folks even put 3-dimensional, hollow mesh, underneath of their bunk cushions. Kind of a 1” – 1.5” thick, 3M green abrasive pad type structure. I think it’s called Dry Bunk, via Downwind Marine in San Diego, CA.

Also, do a few searches on here on; condensation, insulation, & ventilation.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 14:43   #13

The foam on the foam backed stuff deteriorates to gummy powder over time. The vinyl liner in my catamaran did it in 7 years.
For insulation, The closed cell flexible foam (blue or white usually) works pretty well and is available in 1/8" thick up to at least 2" thick. Lightweight and doesn't deteriorate much at all. It's commonly packing foam.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 14:53   #14

The Mylar stuff has never held water and will provide better insulation, l believe. I would be concerned about foam hold moisture.

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 15:16   #15

Boat: Westerly Sealord

This what I used... Wholesale 0.39 inches EVA Foam Outdoor Beach Camping Sleeping Mat Hiking Travel Picnic Pad Cushion Dampproof Yoga Mattress (BLUE) | Everbuying closed cell and so no water take up. Price is good, size is easy to work with.

Not a lot of it is visible through the boat and even less when the boat is loaded up, beds made etc.

I have had the original foam backed vinyl fail... the well known 'Westerly Droop' but the stuff I replaced it with on the headliners, coachroof sides etc is holding up OK after 15 years.
It has always been said that the problem with the original was the glue that Westerly used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1190579 (1).jpg
Views:	221
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	123492   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1190581 (1).jpg
Views:	226
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	123493