Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2019, 14:48   #1

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"
Life lines

On our Catalina we have wire and plastic coated life lines from 2006. I would like to replace them with double braid low stretch rope.
I have looked at other boats and mostly see bare steel cable about 4mm or rope in about 5mm.
I checked and I could fit 8mm rope but that seems not common at all. Is there a reason why a bigger rope is generally not used?
Cheers
Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 14:58   #2

Boat: Sailboat
Re: Life lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiner View Post
On our Catalina we have wire and plastic coated life lines from 2006. I would like to replace them with double braid low stretch rope.
I have looked at other boats and mostly see bare steel cable about 4mm or rope in about 5mm.
I checked and I could fit 8mm rope but that seems not common at all. Is there a reason why a bigger rope is generally not used?
Cheers
Reiner

I just looked at a boat that used grey 5/16" = 8mm Dyneema. Overkill for the job, strengthwise, but very nice to your hands and body. I may do that too.
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 15:08   #3
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

replaced mine with 5mm marlow d12 max dyneema, just feels about the right size. Great for hanging the laundry out
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 15:18   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I don't care much for a lifeline that can be cut with a knife or something else that is sharp.

Stainless lifelines with the plastic covering are no longer used because of potential internal corrosion that may not be detectable.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 15:31   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I don't care much for a lifeline that can be cut with a knife or something else that is sharp.

Stainless lifelines with the plastic covering are no longer used because of potential internal corrosion that may not be detectable.

I prefer a lifeline that can be cut with a knife or something else that is sharp in an emergency such as a MOB recovery.
StuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 15:40   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Different opinions make for a good forum.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 15:54   #7
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Few knives onboard sharp enough to cut marlow d12. They don't come out much so I don't care
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 17:34   #8

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I replaced my coated SS wire lifelines several years ago with uncoated 1X19 SS. I currently use this product https://www.neropes.com/products/per...ail/wr2-ultra/ for my wind vane self steering control lines and it’s great. Were I to replace my lifelines I would be inclined to use WR2.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 17:39   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Few knives onboard sharp enough to cut marlow d12.
It is really not that difficult to cut when it is tensioned.(like a life life probably would be).

For the OP - 8mm Dyneema is fine/good. People tend to use 5mm because it is the minimum set in the racing standards (and saves weight and windage vs bigger). But as a cruiser, feel free to use as big as you can fit and afford.

As an aside, there is a debate about whether single braid or double braid is better for life lines. If you use double braid, only the core counts for strength - so the core alone should be 5mm or bigger. Personally I prefer single braid as big as you can fit.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 17:52   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@Reiner,

Hi, there, friend. Nice to see you posting again.

Here's another way: Use dyneema line, for the life lines. In our case, the top lifelines are our old 10 mm running back stays, and Jim spliced one thimble on, and the last one after the line was led through the stanchion tops. They're very strong, and the diameter is kindly on the hands. Then, we lash them with 3 mm polyester braid, easy to cut if need be. We also have gates in our life lines, so there is somewhere to board someone without cutting them, but at least the life line lashings can be cut, quickly.

Ann
Old 08-10-2019, 18:01   #11

Boat: Cal 33-2

I replaced my coated SS lifelines with 6mm single braid dynemma two years ago. Very happy with them. Single braid is very easy to splice (simple bury splice) and the gray looks good. I would absolutely do this again.
Old 08-10-2019, 18:05   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Lots of folks are going dyneema. As stated coated wire no longer approved because you can't inspect. With dyneema, are there inspections that can be done over time or do they last forever.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 18:27   #13

A note if/when planning to put Dyneema thru stanchion holes which have previously held wire ..... you absolutely need to make sure the hole surfaces (thru the stanchions) are super smooth. Wire can create grooves and gouges in those holes which have proven to quite quickly damage/cut Dyneema. This is not just a theoretical concern, it has happened repeating out in the real world - is one of the big reasons racing (mostly) retracted their approval for Dyneema.

If the prior wire was plastic coated, that may have protected the stanchion holes, but it is something you need to check carefully - each and every hole needs to be all smooth surface.

You can polish out any grooves you find.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 18:41   #14

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:

Have you ever tried to cut dyneema with a knife? Its a truly difficult task that requires alot of sawing to get through! That's one of the reasons i used dyneema for my lifelines! Its really tough stuff! Ideal for the job and much cheaper than SS wire and fittings!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 19:25   #15

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
@Reiner,

Hi, there, friend. Nice to see you posting again.

Here's another way: Use dyneema line, for the life lines. In our case, the top lifelines are our old 10 mm running back stays, and Jim spliced one thimble on, and the last one after the line was led through the stanchion tops. They're very strong, and the diameter is kindly on the hands. Then, we lash them with 3 mm polyester braid, easy to cut if need be. We also have gates in our life lines, so there is somewhere to board someone without cutting them, but at least the life line lashings can be cut, quickly.

Ann
Hi Ann, good to be back we needed another sailboat after Trailer sailing for a few years. Hope you and Jim are doing well might catch you in Moreton Bay one day. Just look out for the best looking Catalina 320 in the bay hahahaha
Cheers
Reiner and Sam
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass